FedEx Freight | The lost art of pretrips

Ahh what the heck "RED its got a new air bag for pete's sake, it can't be that bad if the tire isn't rubbing the frame rail, that's how back when I was with BIG R they knew the walking beams were worn out on the tractors,Wouldn't want to have a set of trips with those worn that bad.

We've had a run of pups come through CLT where the suspension bushings were completing gone...just wore slap out!! The whole axle has shifted to one side and the air bags are rubbing which is sure to eventually rub a hole. What's even more disturbing is when you pull the history on the trailer and you see just how many drivers have pulled the trailer with the bushings gone OR you see that the trailer has been recently PM'd and the bushings weren't replaced!!

Pic 1) Look just below the airbag where the suspension arm connects to the axle...the bushing is completely gone!!

Real fun comes in when a slipseat driver brings you something like this and you won't take it home!
nwL2UIW.jpg

Pic 2) Here's a shot of what the airbag looks like when the bushing is worn out or gone...
6CchCeJ.jpg

How many of you guys have also found these bushings to be worm out??

Friday morning out of the two trailers I hooked to, 5 of the 8 tires needed to be replaced. Clearly out of service defects.

roog
If I really wanted to down a piece of equipment I reached in to my bag for the tread depth gauge. Anything below 4/32 on the steer tires & 2/32 on other tires the equipment didn't move. Half the time I didn't need a gauge, the steel core peeking thru the tread or sidewall was all it took. von.