Yellow | The mesters

mud_cat

TB Lurker
Credits
With 30 city drivers going to the Southside Atl. terminal on a blind bid, (meaning bid without knowing your job or where you fall in seniority) we are now loosing jobs on Atlanta’s dock.

With most of the freight going to the south side and the northern freight going to Lawrenceville/ Athens. Atl is on the way down the tubes.

We are bidding far less jobs and more people laid off.
All the while we have Me-sters working 3hrs overtime ever day this week! On my shift alone, everyone has worked 3hrs ot for 5 days for the past month (but me and a few others.. All the stewards stayed)!

This is going on across the board. When will their overtime work a laid off guy/ girl back to work? With more layoffs coming wed. This is all becoming a joke!

I hate having families suffer behind yellows games. The Me-sters that i pay union dues to sit by and get fat off of the misery of its base, and allow these things to happen.

They took our raise and said it was for health and welfare.
(With an organization running like this we will all need welfare!) My benefits have dwindled over the past 17 yrs. while i only see the Me-sters sit back and get fat. They only show their faces when its election time. Or their buddies are running for office. Why are they not talking to the masses about strategies on getting people back to work? Where are they when their paying base is in need? Probably under the office desk counting their kickbacks and handouts.
250px-Battle_strike_1934.jpg

With 30 city drivers going to the Southside Atl. terminal on a blind bid, (meaning bid without knowing your job or where you fall in seniority) we are now loosing jobs on Atlanta’s dock.

With most of the freight going to the south side and the northern freight going to Lawrenceville/ Athens. Atl is on the way down the tubes.

We are bidding far less jobs and more people laid off.
All the while we have Me-sters working 3hrs overtime ever day this week! On my shift alone, everyone has worked 3hrs ot for 5 days for the past month (but me and a few others.. All the stewards stayed)!

This is going on across the board. When will their overtime work a laid off guy/ girl back to work? With more layoffs coming wed. This is all becoming a joke!

I hate having families suffer behind yellows games. The Me-sters that i pay union dues to sit by and get fat off of the misery of its base, and allow these things to happen.

They took our raise and said it was for health and welfare.
(With an organization running like this we will all need welfare!) My benefits have dwindled over the past 17 yrs. while i only see the Me-sters sit back and get fat. They only show their faces when its election time. Or their buddies are running for office. Why are they not talking to the masses about strategies on getting people back to work? Where are they when their paying base is in need? Probably under the office desk counting their kickbacks and handouts.
250px-Battle_strike_1934.jpg

Going on in Tampa, too. LOTS of OT for the ones not laid off, 14 hour days ...bottom guys (like me) begging for 2 days a week. But nothing can be done. Oh, please!! I've been playing this game since July!!
:thumbsdown:

team-sters, long dead... the stuff of legend and lore, like king authur, bigfoot and so on.
long live the me-sters, cause that is all we got left. we have met the enemy, and he is us.

Think about this. If YRC is willing to work existing workers overtime because it is cheaper than paying a laid off man his H&W, what does that say about the costs of that H&W? Obviously it is more cost-effective to pay time-and-a-half to those who already are being paid H&W than to bring back a laid off man. Yet a sticking point in the last contract negotiations was to continue fully paid insurance benefits despite the astronomical increase in their cost. If the union had agreed to have its members pay part of these benefits then it MIGHT not be so beneficial to the company to use so much OT. The company saves money by using OT instead of paying more H&W benefits.

Going on in Tampa, too. LOTS of OT for the ones not laid off, 14 hour days ...bottom guys (like me) begging for 2 days a week. But nothing can be done. Oh, please!! I've been playing this game since July!!

I really don`t believe it`s a matter of wanting to work overtime as much as being forced to work overtime.Where I work, 2 drivers are on hard lay-off, and 3 drivers are only working 1 day a week.The reason: it`s cheaper to pay the overtime than to pay the health and welfare benefits to the 3 that only work on Monday.If you asked any of the ones that are working overtime, they would all tell you that they would rather be out in 8, than have to work the outbound.I hear it every day from every driver" Why don`t they bring someone in to cover the pick-ups, and the answer is: health and welfare!The formula for the operation is the inbound freight, not the outbound.Example: If you have 100 inbound bills and 40 bills are Home Depot or some spot account, then it will take X amount of drivers to deliver the remaining 60 bills.I hear the manager tell the dispatcher to hold the line on bringing anyone else in.I like my job, but not more than my family time. I would rather be home with them, than spending time with my fellow brothers! You know what I mean!:wavey:

Think about this. If YRC is willing to work existing workers overtime because it is cheaper than paying a laid off man his H&W, what does that say about the costs of that H&W? Obviously it is more cost-effective to pay time-and-a-half to those who already are being paid H&W than to bring back a laid off man. Yet a sticking point in the last contract negotiations was to continue fully paid insurance benefits despite the astronomical increase in their cost. If the union had agreed to have its members pay part of these benefits then it MIGHT not be so beneficial to the company to use so much OT. The company saves money by using OT instead of paying more H&W benefits.

Free Astray, you got in ahead of me on your post, but it`s good to see that others out there understand that it`s the management that`s driving this overtime and not the workers. We are being forced into this work! The reason: Health and Welfare!

It's the economy stupid!

I think sometimes there are people that think the reason this or any company is in business is to provide them a job with which to support their family. It's pretty simple and its probably some kind of law like gravity.

MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE!!!!! Hey I think thats probably alot of peoples goal.:popcorn:

MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE!!!!! Hey I think thats probably alot of peoples goal.:popcorn:

I think that was the goal of a former teamster/union steward at LCP and now a Supervising professional at HSB, James Q. Then one day someone slashed all four of his tires while he was chasing that money on another 12 hour 6 punch. The picture of the riot early in this thread reminded me of that whole ordeal and what desperate people will do in trying times... :shades:
flattire.jpg

dude,get om your stewards ***!!!! If their working 3 hours of O.T. a day,that means every hour after 2 of O.T. goes towards putting a man back on regular for that given day.......8 hours means 1 man,16 means 2....get on assistant B.A. mike d cause your actual ba is worthless.

I can give you only 10

:Rulz:Check your supplemental language brothers, yeah we had guys working 14 hour days when they started to lay off. Your rank and file need to stand up and be accountable for our brothers. We have supplemental language that states that a member can only work 10 hrs if he informs the supervisor prior to puching in that all he can give today is 10 hrs. Only problem is getting 100% to do this but it has forced the company to call in a few guys in to work. Some is better than none and we all have to eat too.

BTW this applys to the city guys

:Rulz:Check your supplemental language brothers, yeah we had guys working 14 hour days when they started to lay off. Your rank and file need to stand up and be accountable for our brothers. We have supplemental language that states that a member can only work 10 hrs if he informs the supervisor prior to puching in that all he can give today is 10 hrs. Only problem is getting 100% to do this but it has forced the company to call in a few guys in to work. Some is better than none and we all have to eat too.

BTW this applys to the city guys

Why don't we go back to broken beer bottles and baseball bats. In those times I don't remember too many "MESTERS" having the run of the place! Oops, I just gave away my age didn't I?

Your post is right on. I agree 100% I never work a 6th punch with someone on layoff. Seen a few of my brothers turn around and head back to their cars after being lied to by the SOM in regards to "has everyone worked for the day?" before accepting overtime. The day is coming where they will "force" the overtime. If we only work what we are required to by contract they will have no choice but to work those that are in lay off status.

I have never had a problem with someone "on the bubble" working every minute they can get either. They need to put money in the bank to help them through the layoff that is in their future.

there are many roadway terminals that have forced 6 punches all ready in place.
@ 120 they can force you once a week

FYI.........I have been doing a little historical reading and there were similar problems in freight back in the 70's. Some would work as much as possible while their brothers were sitting at home. It was pointed out back then, H&W costs were the reason for the excess OT............seems times haven't changed very much.

Those that know me, know where I stand. DS.

made a mistake on my last post up there . its forced once per month . if over 10 years you can sign up and it counts as your mandatory 6th .
nice turkey dock . lets cook her