XPO | The Problems

The other night leaving the terminal I was talking to one of the gals that works in the office. I asked her what she thought about things happening in our company. Her quote" EVERYONE IS PISSED!". Her words not mine. I just want this company to treat drivers right. I'm a 20 year man expecting to lose my morning bid to a less than 1 year dock guy.

The other night leaving the terminal I was talking to one of the gals that works in the office. I asked her what she thought about things happening in our company. Her quote" EVERYONE IS PISSED!". Her words not mine. I just want this company to treat drivers right. I'm a 20 year man expecting to lose my morning bid to a less than 1 year dock guy.

So explain exactly how you could lose your morning bid to a guy with 1 year?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

The early bid drivers work the inbound dock in the mornings. Now Con-Way is hiring full time dock workers and cutting the bids so drivers don't have to work the dock anymore. They cut about 8 morning bids at my old barn this last year.

The early bid drivers work the inbound dock in the mornings. Now Con-Way is hiring full time dock workers and cutting the bids so drivers don't have to work the dock anymore. They cut about 8 morning bids at my old barn this last year.

Our bid driving positions are protected. The drivers work the dock on early call basis at 1 1/2. No bid dock man can bump a bid driver.

Sorry, I'll try harder...

yrc_07_sml.jpg

Hmmm, don't see any of ours on there....yet.

I will get you some pics tomorrow from BNSF.

I'm guessing whatever amount it takes to maintain a profitable operation?

Silly, huh?

Why bother to have any company drivers at all then?

Hauling containers used to pay close to $200, 25 years ago.

What do they pay now? Always someone who will haul it for free.

After that, complain "we can't find enough drivers!"

http://teamsterslocal251.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/abf-national-2013-2018.pdf

Wrong.

The parties recognize that the current shipping markets demand expedited delivery of freight in a
manner that may not be accomplished by hauling certain freight by rail. These market demands
cre
ate a need to reduce the amount of freight hauled by rail and to use alternative methods of
substitute service. As contemplated by Article 20, Section 4, new business opportunities may be
pursued that promote new Teamster job opportunities while protectin
g existing Teamster jobs,
benefits, and working conditions. With these facts in mind, the rail miles as a percentage of total
miles will be reduced as follows: effective Calendar Year 2010, the maximum amount of rail
miles as a percentage of total miles a
s calculated above will be reduced from 24% to 21.5%.
Effective Calendar Year 2011, the maximum amount of rail miles as a percentage of total miles
as calculated above will be reduced from 21.5% to 21%. Effective Calendar Year 2012, the
maximum amount of
rail miles as a percentage of total miles as calculated above will be reduced
from 21% to 19%. The reduction in rail miles during the term of this Agreement is subject to the
provisions of Article 29, Section 6

And that doesn't just effect you. It pushes everyone down a spot.

I keep going up the seniority board, but keep sliding down the bid sheet.

Our bid driving positions are protected. The drivers work the dock on early call basis at 1 1/2. No bid dock man can bump a bid driver.

We aren't talking about driving positions. The very most senior guys have pure dock bids. They work the dock only and go home.

But the are replacing those bids with dock workers and pushing the drivers back to the street. Which usually gets the " well are you a driver or not " response.

What you don't understand is that these guys did their time to get these cushy bids and that this is just one more carrot they have taken off the stick.

It makes these guys angry that they are losing their bid. And it makes everyone else angry that they lost theirs from the " shove from above ".

http://teamsterslocal251.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/abf-national-2013-2018.pdf

Wrong.

The parties recognize that the current shipping markets demand expedited delivery of freight in a
manner that may not be accomplished by hauling certain freight by rail. These market demands
cre
ate a need to reduce the amount of freight hauled by rail and to use alternative methods of
substitute service. As contemplated by Article 20, Section 4, new business opportunities may be
pursued that promote new Teamster job opportunities while protectin
g existing Teamster jobs,
benefits, and working conditions. With these facts in mind, the rail miles as a percentage of total
miles will be reduced as follows: effective Calendar Year 2010, the maximum amount of rail
miles as a percentage of total miles a
s calculated above will be reduced from 24% to 21.5%.
Effective Calendar Year 2011, the maximum amount of rail miles as a percentage of total miles
as calculated above will be reduced from 21.5% to 21%. Effective Calendar Year 2012, the
maximum amount of
rail miles as a percentage of total miles as calculated above will be reduced
from 21% to 19%. The reduction in rail miles during the term of this Agreement is subject to the
provisions of Article 29, Section 6

We have seen other post different numbers form what looked like similar contractual language. I am to tired to proof check this. And really don't care as 26% or 19% is still a flipping lot.

When the bids are posted,the inbound bids have always been open for drivers,they are the earlist bids usually taken by senior drivers finishing out their last few years,or guys who may have kids playing highschool or college athletics,start times 4 am to 5 am,depending on the service center.Now Con-Way can't get drivers to come here,so,offer those times to the cheap help and fill your driver shortage with those drivers on the early bids.What they don't realize is that the drivers are going to bump bids all the way down the board.Those new drivers will see no future,and anyone under 35 with 5 years or less should also see the writing on the wall.

If all of trucking is suffering a driver shortage, what will conway do to compete against other carriers to attract and retain drivers? It appears they have not wrestled with this question yet. And, as one of those fancy posters make clear, appearance is reality. Conway needs to change its reality.

When the bids are posted,the inbound bids have always been open for drivers,they are the earlist bids usually taken by senior drivers finishing out their last few years,or guys who may have kids playing highschool or college athletics,start times 4 am to 5 am,depending on the service center.Now Con-Way can't get drivers to come here,so,offer those times to the cheap help and fill your driver shortage with those drivers on the early bids.What they don't realize is that the drivers are going to bump bids all the way down the board.Those new drivers will see no future,and anyone under 35 with 5 years or less should also see the writing on the wall.

And they wonder why all these trainees do their time and run.

What is there to stay for ?

We still hear the same tired company line the Con-way is a destination employer.

I guess it is, if you are in management.

We aren't talking about driving positions. The very most senior guys have pure dock bids. They work the dock only and go home.

But the are replacing those bids with dock workers and pushing the drivers back to the street. Which usually gets the " well are you a driver or not " response.

What you don't understand is that these guys did their time to get these cushy bids and that this is just one more carrot they have taken off the stick.

It makes these guys angry that they are losing their bid. And it makes everyone else angry that they lost theirs from the " shove from above ".
You have guys that actually WANT those early start times that never drive?? Those bids were always some of the last ones filled during the bid at my barn. The low guys usually got forced into them. The ones that work the dock for a couple hours and then leave on a peddle were always popular, though. As well as the few bids that don't work the dock at all.

Like I told my SCM... I didn't get a CDL to become a full time forklift driver.

You have guys that actually WANT those early start times that never drive?? Those bids were always some of the last ones filled during the bid at my barn. The low guys usually got forced into them. The ones that work the dock for a couple hours and then leave on a peddle were always popular, though. As well as the few bids that don't work the dock at all.

Like I told my SCM... I didn't get a CDL to become a full time forklift driver.

The senior drivers will bid them and the day time hostler to get 8 and skate. They have made their money. Just waiting for the governments magic number and they gone.

You should be able to bid any job by seniority and qualifications. We have guys that hate driving so they bid the dock on midnight shift or 3 am. That was a pretty good plan for some time. Then the geniuses began to hire workers years ago without CDL's. They are running out of qualified drivers in a hurry due to all the retirements lately. So they started forcing guys on those shifts out on the street with volume loads. Now to combat being forced, those that don't want to drive all make sure they run right against their HOS. No hours available, no driving.

I guess I just can't fathom wanting to run a forklift over peddling freight. I guess Con-Job really made me despise that part of the job.