XPO | The Problems

I guess I just can't fathom wanting to run a forklift over peddling freight. I guess Con-Job really made me despise that part of the job.

I can't either. I can remember the day I finally had enough whiskers to hold a driving bid. It was a lousy start time but at least it got me off the "rock" and away from the micromanagement.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

You should be able to bid any job by seniority and qualifications. We have guys that hate driving so they bid the dock on midnight shift or 3 am. That was a pretty good plan for some time. Then the geniuses began to hire workers years ago without CDL's. They are running out of qualified drivers in a hurry due to all the retirements lately. So they started forcing guys on those shifts out on the street with volume loads. Now to combat being forced, those that don't want to drive all make sure they run right against their HOS. No hours available, no driving.

A guy that hates driving shouldn't be employed as a truck driver.

http://teamsterslocal251.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/abf-national-2013-2018.pdf

Wrong.

The parties recognize that the current shipping markets demand expedited delivery of freight in a
manner that may not be accomplished by hauling certain freight by rail. These market demands
cre
ate a need to reduce the amount of freight hauled by rail and to use alternative methods of
substitute service. As contemplated by Article 20, Section 4, new business opportunities may be
pursued that promote new Teamster job opportunities while protectin
g existing Teamster jobs,
benefits, and working conditions. With these facts in mind, the rail miles as a percentage of total
miles will be reduced as follows: effective Calendar Year 2010, the maximum amount of rail
miles as a percentage of total miles a
s calculated above will be reduced from 24% to 21.5%.
Effective Calendar Year 2011, the maximum amount of rail miles as a percentage of total miles
as calculated above will be reduced from 21.5% to 21%. Effective Calendar Year 2012, the
maximum amount of
rail miles as a percentage of total miles as calculated above will be reduced
from 21% to 19%. The reduction in rail miles during the term of this Agreement is subject to the
provisions of Article 29, Section 6

I see it has changed, slightly.

Of course, add in the 6% PTS, pretty soon union carriers are giving away 24% of their miles.

Why can't the union stop them?

A guy that hates driving shouldn't be employed as a truck driver.
Unless they are a guy who has been doing it for 25 years and is sick of dealing with the motoring public, and uses his seniority to not have to deal with it anymore.

Of course, add in the 6% PTS, pretty soon union carriers are giving away 24% of their miles.

Because of bottom feeding companys cutting rates & taking from there employees & giving it back to the customer.... know any companys like that?

Unless they are a guy who has been doing it for 25 years and is sick of dealing with the motoring public, and uses his seniority to not have to deal with it anymore.

Maybe at YRC, but that's not how it's going to be at Con-Way any longer.

Unless he wants to accept a dockworkers wage. In that case, perhaps something can be worked out.

Give me liberty or give me the dock....Hmmmmm....I will learn to deal with the motoring public.

Give me liberty or give me the dock....Hmmmmm....I will learn to deal with the motoring public.
Plenty of senior drivers at the Holland terminal I am at bid the dock because they are sick of driving. Of course we make the same wage whether we are in the truck or on a forklift

Plenty of senior drivers at the Holland terminal I am at bid the dock because they are sick of driving. Of course we make the same wage whether we are in the truck or on a forklift
And that's a nice little perk to have.....But I personally prefer to drive. That's all I'm saying.

The percentage was adjusted to compete with companies that utilize PT. Reports regarding the amount of PT utilized by the company are submitted to the union. Anything above the agreed to amount is subject to the grievance procedure.

You seem to forget that Conway & fedex were the ones trying to put a dagger in yrc a few years ago by slashing rates.... Wonder how your bonus was that year?

That was a bad decision.

But how long have you been around? Yellow Freight has been known to do the same thing.

That was a bad decision.

But how long have you been around? Yellow Freight has been known to do the same thing.

They have all done it at one time or another. Most recently it was everyone else trying to deliver the knock out blow to YRC

Most of them have high seniority and would rather not deal with our fine motorists.

No problem. They just need to find a job that doesn't involve driving.

In the past, that might mean taking a dock bid. That's changing. Drivers are going to drive, dockmen are going to work the dock.

It's just smart business sense. If you have someone qualified to drive, why pay him drivers wages to sit on a forklift?