ODFL | $$$ The Raise $$$

sandbagger74 said:
Whoohoo! 2.3 cents.

You know, I really thought I'd improved my life when I switched from OTR to LTL. I did...but I also had no idea that us drivers at Old Dominion are the most profitable LTL company. Yet we make the least compared with the other LTL companies. I learned this in our recent company pay/why the unions are bad meeting.

What happened to trickle down economics? Shouldn't the nation's most profitable LTL company pay the most when compared to other less profitable companies? I exercise my feeble open door policy option, and hear, "I'm sorry. I agree you should receive more pay, but I personally can't give you a raise. I don't make those decisions. I'll pass along to the top." I haven't and don't expect I'll hear back. Whadya bet? I feel cheated and will be applying for a driving job with a union company. Anybody, know who is the best union LTL company to drive for? I'm probably gonna relocate to Dallas too.

If I wanted to go union I would go ABF. I always thought that was the best union carrier. the ABF drivers have always set a good example to me. All union carriers under the Natl Mtr Frt Aggrement are under the same work rules. I might consider going union if I could get at least 30 years in to get top pension benefits. that may take longer if the company you work for goes under or you get laid off. If the economy holds up it probably would work. Many drivers have to work very hard to finally get a pension. You may expect to be on call for several years, suffer lay offs, go through strikes, and other stresses that you may not have to deal with at a non union carrier. BE PREPARED TO MAKE THE UNION A BIG PART OF YOUR LIFE.

sandbagger74 said:
I feel cheated and will be applying for a driving job with a union company. Anybody, know who is the best union LTL company to drive for? I'm probably gonna relocate to Dallas too.
Sandbagger74,
Welcome to Truckingboards. To answer your question, all of the giant Union Carriers have big terminals in Dallas....just go online at their websites to get the ball rolling. Best of luck. You should have no problem getting on in Dallas.

sandbagger74 said:
Whoohoo! 2.3 cents.

You know, I really thought I'd improved my life when I switched from OTR to LTL. I did...but I also had no idea that us drivers at Old Dominion are the most profitable LTL company. Yet we make the least compared with the other LTL companies. I learned this in our recent company pay/why the unions are bad meeting.

What happened to trickle down economics? Shouldn't the nation's most profitable LTL company pay the most when compared to other less profitable companies? I exercise my feeble open door policy option, and hear, "I'm sorry. I agree you should receive more pay, but I personally can't give you a raise. I don't make those decisions. I'll pass along to the top." I haven't and don't expect I'll hear back. Whadya bet? I feel cheated and will be applying for a driving job with a union company. Anybody, know who is the best union LTL company to drive for? I'm probably gonna relocate to Dallas too.
becarefull you will **** off your fellow drivers 4 seeing the light the BRIGHT LIGHT.

To the folks who are fed up with OD, get out of here. No one's stopping you. Leave and then come back here and brag about how good your union outfit is. Your **** poor attitude towards the company does not benefit us.

6)Posts deemed to be just mean spirited posts or posts made just to antagonize others may be removed at the discretion of the site administration

Some of these guys

BillyLo said:
To the folks who are fed up with OD, get out of here. No one's stopping you. Leave and then come back here and brag about how good your union outfit is. Your **** poor attitude towards the company does not benefit us.

6)Posts deemed to be just mean spirited posts or posts made just to antagonize others may be removed at the discretion of the site administration

Some of these guys were fired BillyLo and they will always hold a grudge.I know one in particular and it wasn't for his bad spelling.

JIM BOB said:
Some of these guys were fired BillyLo and they will always hold a grudge.I know one in particular and it wasn't for his bad spelling.
if a person get fired from od if he stay in trucking he just improved his life style.you just use od as a stepping stone.:wacko:

DOLLAR BILL said:
if a person get fired from od if he stay in trucking he just improved his life style.you just use od as a stepping stone.:wacko:

And I bet that one of the large majority of truckers will have a opportunity to move up if they want to have better working conditions.

The truck transportation and warehousing industry provided 1.9 million wage and salary jobs in 2004. About 45 percent of the salaried jobs in the industry, 857,000, were for truck drivers.
Most employees in the truck transportation and warehousing industry work in small establishments. About 86 percent of trucking and warehousing establishments employ fewer than 20 workers (chart 1). Consolidation in the industry has reduced the number of small, specialized firms.

Table 3. Median hourly earnings of the largest occupations in truck transportation and warehousing, May 2004 Occupation Truck transportation Warehousing and storage All industries
Truck drivers, heavy and tractor-trailer
17.00 17.46 16.11
Industrial truck and tractor operators
14.25 12.64 12.78
Truck drivers, light or delivery services
13.76 12.12 11.80

http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs021.htm

With the oppurtintuty to have a secure working enviroment with a profitable company City work, Meet and turn, Wild driver or team in newer equipment with freindly management I am willing to bet that OD beats most jobs in the trucking industry. As you see OD pays well above the average for Tractor trailer Over the road and city delivery drivers also for Laborers in the industry In 2004 and now.

I'll be honest, I got fed up with the pay for linehaul.. flat out. My solution? I went back to P&D... I lost my seniority I had before I made the switch... but Im happy as a clam now... I get to be home with the pregnant wife at night... and my checks are bigger.

ditto went back to p&d myself.kept my 2 am start and just do volumes.60 miles a day and on some sat. i will do a har. thats one thing about od. well at least in my barn they are very accomidating to my wants and needs

In response to the company men

BillyLo said:

You company men, mostly Southerners I see, must yearn for the good ole days of slavery or Jim Crowe or share cropping. You are oversensitive and view any questioning of the employer as heresy. You're like Igor in Frankenstein or a peasant to his landlord. Trying to gain favor, so that you may have it a little better. Frankly...this is pitiful begging, disguised behind a sheet called loyalty.

What I and many others are doing when we question or demand something of our employers is taking an active role in the free market economy. We are treating this employee/employer relationship like the business it is -- not some serfdom fantasy world or pseudo-family. We have our product (labor) to sell. We seek out those buyers (employers)who will pay the most. We strive to sell our product for the highest amount possible. If we don't make a sale here today; we go elsewhere tomorrow. We are always striving to improve the profitability of our business (career). This is pure, American, capitalism. Everybody has something to sell.

My attitude on the job is professional. I smile and do my job the best I can. But, I always look for better opportunities. That's the American way. Unquestioning obedience to a master is the way of a dog. I'm not one to whine and don't pity those that do. I simply make an attempt at negotiation and then I start looking elsewhere. Then when I'm ready; I walk. It's that simple. An unpitying business decision, just like any good employer would do.

At the same time, I don't downplay what others decide. It's their life and an important balance to the free market sytem. Everybody can't make top dollar or else there would be no such thing as a top dollar -- I guess this would be communism. But, on the same token, don't bad mouth me for questioning people and seeking better opportunities; because, that too is a bit like communism or corporate totalitarianism.

I see a problem with these company men who worship these companies; as if the people who own or manage them are somehow like gods.

JIM BOB said:
Does rule 12 apply here,I'm not sure.
12) The employee boards are NOT for Non-Employees to go to to antagonize and or force your anti-union or union views on the employees of that board.

since cf no longer has any employee this board falls into a Grey area.and as long as you don't try and start a fight all are welcome.

Huh?

I wonder how many union carriers have gone under in the past 10 yrs?Not sold out to some other outfit,but just plainly outright said cya later folks don't come back anymore,we have taken your union dues and are headed for higher ground cause the big fat union boat is sinking!

sparky said:
As you see OD pays well above the average for Tractor trailer Over the road and city delivery drivers also for Laborers in the industry In 2004 and now.
Sparky,
Your pay comparison shouldn't include anything but LTL operations, since that's what OD is. When you water down the compensation numbers by including the Truckload sector, of course OD's pay looks better on average. I'm not sure what the hourly pay is at OD or how long it takes to reach full scale as a city driver or dockhand, but OD's mileage pay for road drivers is below the LTL average full scale and well below the best full scale paying LTL Companies, where the rate is 54.400 cents per mile.

OD was that way when I started out driving a truck with them 15 years ago, and nothing has changed. They are still at the bottom in pay and always will be. Unless forced to do otherwise. There is nothing greedy about wanting what's right for your compensation. I guarantee you that your boss does.

Skywalker said:
I wonder how many union carriers have gone under in the past 10 yrs?Not sold out to some other outfit,but just plainly outright said cya later folks don't come back anymore,we have taken your union dues and are headed for higher ground cause the big fat union boat is sinking!
ask your self the same thing about non.union. union guys might start over at a other out fit but there years toward retirement keeps going on not to bad is it.O i am not pushing union.

They need membership

They need members.IF UPS goes,IF ESTES goes we are the only one left.

Skywalker said:
I wonder how many union carriers have gone under in the past 10 yrs?
Skywalker I don't claim to know for sure but I believe the answer is Two.
Not sold out to some other outfit,but just plainly outright said cya later folks don't come back anymore,we have taken your union dues and are headed for higher ground cause the big fat union boat is sinking!
The companies do not get union dues. If the boat sinks it will make some BIG waves that rock all the little boats in the lake of ltl trucking!