Central Transport | The Truth about Vitran?? South Bend Terminal?

Being in SB should give him the 400 needed to not work the dock. Lot of turns on freight comming thru.Most next day freight from Minn or Wis, going east will be sent to SB> then on to the east Clv Col maybe to Pit and bed.

Thank you fellas for all your information. It has been very informative.

As far as the company goes. Do you guys see this "fed-ex" guy making things more positive? I.E. There is a future at this place and room to grow? To be able to move up the board and have some stability? That is what I am looking for. I know all about mergers, buy outs, and cut backs from my years at Coca-Cola. I also know that things take time. Fed-Ex is a pretty stable and profitable company. And to see somone that helped establish that move to a company to build it up seems promising.

For line-haul, do they have multiple start times? And I assume that its mileage plus hourly when you are on the dock. Is there hourly for drop/hook/fuel?

If there is equipment issues (trailer lights, tractor problems, etc) are there on-site repair or go to a penske or ryder to get it fixed?

Paper Logs or E-Logs

Thanks for the effort in answering my questions. As you can tell, im as green as they come for LTL. Just looking out for my future..

Thanks

I was responding to the question about the meetings next week at Vitran for the drivers it's supposed to be about the pay scale and the wage issues since Vitran has 5 different pay scales. And to respond to
The post about FedEx being such a good company go to
Their board and read their posts and see how terminals they are closing effective at the
End of June. A lot of runs being cut too for those guys. I don't see
That they are a real good outfit either just my opinion and my opinion
Only

flipflop--yes there are multiple start times at every term. yes,hr. pay for dock time-which you will start to get alot of beginning in July. Most of the lh runs will be to a destination term--break your load(s)--reload your return frt. to make your cut time for the trip back home. Some runs could be as short as 100 miles(or less) one way. If you have a garage-SB does-you get equiptment issues repaired before leaving otherwise simple repairs and sometime major ones get done on down the road. NO drop/hook/fuel pay as of yet. Probably never. Occasionally use vender repair shops for light/tire other problems. As far as dock time if you go linehaul, expect it. All hubs with full time dock will no longer have them starting 5-21. They were all reduced to part time(30 hrs. max,no bennies,insur., ect.) on Friday. We still run paper logs, but you do punch a computer clock on arrival,departure or dock time. If you do go out on linehaul, remember that you are on the bottom of the list and we all know what rolls downhill.

Thank you fellas for all your information. It has been very informative.

As far as the company goes. Do you guys see this "fed-ex" guy making things more positive? I.E. There is a future at this place and room to grow? To be able to move up the board and have some stability? That is what I am looking for. I know all about mergers, buy outs, and cut backs from my years at Coca-Cola. I also know that things take time. Fed-Ex is a pretty stable and profitable company. And to see somone that helped establish that move to a company to build it up seems promising.

For line-haul, do they have multiple start times? And I assume that its mileage plus hourly when you are on the dock. Is there hourly for drop/hook/fuel?

If there is equipment issues (trailer lights, tractor problems, etc) are there on-site repair or go to a penske or ryder to get it fixed?

Paper Logs or E-Logs

Thanks for the effort in answering my questions. As you can tell, im as green as they come for LTL. Just looking out for my future..

Thanks
why dont you just go there and fill out a app?and talk to the tm there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been at Vitran for 15 months now. I don't think its a bad gig. I show up, I work 10-14 hrs., then I go home. Pretty simple gig if you ask me.
of course, linehaul gets pampered with new trucks and nice hotels, but soon linehaul drivers will be working the dock unloading trailers. if you worked city, it's a whole different story. get the garbage equipment with no a/c, garbage deliveries, dispatcher alerting on the nextel and heavy traffic.

go ahead and tell me i drink kool aide but its the same 4-5 guys complaining all the time or the ones who quit. Is this place perfect, haha please no way, is it the worst no. Some terminals have better equipment then others the pay is different at terminals. The runs are different. Now some drivers are gonna have to do dock work or leave. So you have to gamble or run away, do not listen to these pissy sissy drivers about everything

I guess that every terminal is different. I've been working the dock since day 1. Freezing in the winter, and hot in the summer. Some days were over 110 degrees on the dock under the tin roof. 2 to 3 hours a night, sometimes 3.5 hours. Then I do my run and if they ask for help in the a.m. I do that as well. I don't mind doing what is needed, thats just what I do. No increase in pay since day one, no time off either, but I've never cried with any other position I've held in the past, why do it now? I take the truck I'm told to take. for the 1st year it was mac's with plenty wrong with them, then a freightliner every once in a while, and now for the most part it's the internationals. I'd don't make these calls, nor do I try to infullence them.

I guess that every terminal is different. I've been working the dock since day 1. Freezing in the winter, and hot in the summer. Some days were over 110 degrees on the dock under the tin roof. 2 to 3 hours a night, sometimes 3.5 hours. Then I do my run and if they ask for help in the a.m. I do that as well. I don't mind doing what is needed, thats just what I do. No increase in pay since day one, no time off either, but I've never cried with any other position I've held in the past, why do it now? I take the truck I'm told to take. for the 1st year it was mac's with plenty wrong with them, then a freightliner every once in a while, and now for the most part it's the internationals. I'd don't make these calls, nor do I try to infullence them.

I like your attitude. How long ya been there. See much future at Vitran? What hrs are you working and I assume Sat and Sun off?

flip flop, you sound like you might be management fishing for responses. don't know how much more you can find out on this website, I think everyone has told you how they feel good bad or otherwise. you could talk to a thousand employees and get five thousand different opinions of the company, for some this is a company they hope to retire from, for others it is only a job until they can find something better.

flip flop, you sound like you might be management fishing for responses. don't know how much more you can find out on this website, I think everyone has told you how they feel good bad or otherwise. you could talk to a thousand employees and get five thousand different opinions of the company, for some this is a company they hope to retire from, for others it is only a job until they can find something better.

i was thinking the same thing. lol.

Nope not management at all. Just looking for as much info on a possible change that I may be making. I didnt do my homework on the outfit I am with now and it is blowing up in my face. I know that 100 people can tell you 100 different things. But come on fellas, if majority say its a good outfit, it probably is. Like I said in previous posts, I am new to LTL and have no buddies that run LTL. So I know very little. Mostly what I get from the various forums. Just looking for a home fellas, no need to get paranoid. Your bitching is safe with me.

dido FUDGIE. the horse is dead. F.F. you've asked all the questions possible. make a decision. jump on the f**king horse and ride or watch from the sidelines. nuff said

Nope, not yet.

Ive got it narrowed down to Vitran and another local outfit, Steel Warehouse.

Wife just quit her job so I am kinda slowing down job search untill things stabilize around here.