XPO | The truth about whats happening at XCO !!!!!!

nobodyinparticular

TB Lurker
Credits
I posted this as a response on another thread earlier and wanted to make sure everyone gets to see it. I know how the grapevine at Conway works. I want to set the record straight about whats going on at XCO. I am the one who made contact with the teamsters and set up these initial meetings. We are indeed talking to the teamsters about representing us. I am NOT a 20 year senior guy. Not even close. We are not doing this to hurt Conway or put them out of business. We just want whats ours. We are doing this to not lose anything else. We didn't do anything to deserve losing everything we lost. They used a bad situation to take advantage of us and keep doing so today. We don't expect the union to get more money or our 401 back. We don't even want a union, but its picking the lesser of 2 evils. Keep letting Conway walk on us or take the chance to stand up for ourselves. We want a say in what happens to us. We have no say in anything and can do nothing when something does happen. We are tired of being asked to take one for the team and in the same week being asked to vote to give the board a raise (read the proxy statement if you haven't yet). We have been screwed on vacation twice. More and more sub service taking linehaul runs. I could go on but anyone working at Conway knows what has happened for the last 2 1/2 years. They keep taking and taking. Someone at work said " Its like the schoolyard bully taking your lunch money. He'll keep doing it until you punch him in the mouth and tell him no more" We all have wives and kids. Car and house payments. None of us want to lose our jobs, but when is enough enough. When is someone going to stand up and say "No more". We know all the repercussions of what we are attempting. We know about YRC's problems, but on the flip side there is also UPS. We would love for other terminals to do this with us, but everybody has their opinion on the subject. I am not trying to convince anyone that what we are trying is right or wrong. Most of you have decided we are stupid. But ask your self the next Monday you come to work and have to see a video or your TM is explaining why you're losing something and being told that its not open for discussion, Are we really that stupid?

I don't think you're stupid, short sighted....yes. A little selfish.....maybe. You act like Con-way is the only company in the world which has made major changes in it's operation over the course of the last two and a half years, when the fact of the matter is that many if not all companies have had to tighten up their boot straps to weather out this recession we're in. Believe me when I say, I understand your frustration, I don't like losing my 401k match or vacation time, or seeing more subservice carriers hauling our freight, but I would like being out of a job even less.

I think that part of the reason for the big payout to the board was because their stocks got diluted when the company issued more stock to pay for the purchases of safestack and mobilesco. I know I harp on this alot, but the main financial responsibility the company has is to it's shareholders and generally, it's the board members who hold the lion's share of the company's stock. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. If I'm right, the board members are the ones who should be paid first because they have millions of dollars at stake and have risked money in this company to make it viable. I hope I'm not spinning my wheels here. What I'm trying to do is show you how I see the company through my eyes. It has helped to understand why they do some of the things they do and while I may not like it, I understnad that it's the way it has to be for now and I've accepted it.

We got a presidential election coming up in less than two years and if the right people get in, then we have a chance to turn this economy around. I beg you, please try to be patient a little longer, wait until the economy comes back and the revenues start to flow in again in a major way. If the company doesn't come around at that point, then go ahead with your move to unionize.

Thanks for coming forward and clearing up this matter.

i'm happy to see that your standing up for the good of the working man. I for one don't want more than what i work for, a decent living for my family, i fair chance to put my two cents worth in without retaliation, too be treated as a human and not a robot. I'm not worried about what we have lost because i've not been there that long but i would like to see an end to stupid rules like getting a point for getting stuck (having a tow truck pull you out) while doing Con-ways bussiness at a delivery in the backwoods. The mentality of the higher ups has to change, we the back bone of this company don't give 12 to 14 hours a day for a chance to have a minor mistake that might cost us our job. If you don't want a union start calling GO and complaining about how you feel, i do.... And i've not seen any changes therefore i choose to stand behind the next alternative...

Hey Nobodyinparticular, you and the others in XCO are doing a GOOD thing, something that should have happend along time ago. I hope you are successful and I hope this fire spreads to my part of the world. Keep us posted on whats happening. Good luck and God bless you all.

Keep up the attitude and you won't have to worry whether or not Con-way unionizes because you won't work here anymore. How much do you think it costs these days to put a big truck on the hook?

i'm happy to see that your standing up for the good of the working man. I for one don't want more than what i work for, a decent living for my family, i fair chance to put my two cents worth in without retaliation, too be treated as a human and not a robot. I'm not worried about what we have lost because i've not been there that long but i would like to see an end to stupid rules like getting a point for getting stuck (having a tow truck pull you out) while doing Con-ways bussiness at a delivery in the backwoods. The mentality of the higher ups has to change, we the back bone of this company don't give 12 to 14 hours a day for a chance to have a minor mistake that might cost us our job. If you don't want a union start calling GO and complaining about how you feel, i do.... And i've not seen any changes therefore i choose to stand behind the next alternative...

Keep up the attitude and you won't have to worry whether or not Con-way unionizes because you won't work here anymore. How much do you think it costs these days to put a big truck on the hook?

I don't think you're stupid, short sighted....yes. A little selfish.....maybe. You act like Con-way is the only company in the world which has made major changes in it's operation over the course of the last two and a half years, when the fact of the matter is that many if not all companies have had to tighten up their boot straps to weather out this recession we're in. Believe me when I say, I understand your frustration, I don't like losing my 401k match or vacation time, or seeing more subservice carriers hauling our freight, but I would like being out of a job even less.

I think that part of the reason for the big payout to the board was because their stocks got diluted when the company issued more stock to pay for the purchases of safestack and mobilesco. I know I harp on this alot, but the main financial responsibility the company has is to it's shareholders and generally, it's the board members who hold the lion's share of the company's stock. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. If I'm right, the board members are the ones who should be paid first because they have millions of dollars at stake and have risked money in this company to make it viable. I hope I'm not spinning my wheels here. What I'm trying to do is show you how I see the company through my eyes. It has helped to understand why they do some of the things they do and while I may not like it, I understnad that it's the way it has to be for now and I've accepted it.

We got a presidential election coming up in less than two years and if the right people get in, then we have a chance to turn this economy around. I beg you, please try to be patient a little longer, wait until the economy comes back and the revenues start to flow in again in a major way. If the company doesn't come around at that point, then go ahead with your move to unionize.

Thanks for coming forward and clearing up this matter.

I'm not going to respond to every post, but I do think I need to say something. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what we are doing is not a "political thing". Its an "us thing". I don't think that anyone liked what happened 2 1/2 yrs ago when the economy started to tank, but we understood why. The problem is it hasn't stopped. Every few months they take away something or change something. All you can do is sit there and take it. Yes, YRC lost things too, but at least they had a say. We have no problem with the board getting paid, but when your telling us that you just made more profit in one quarter than all last year and still telling us that if we are lucky and work hard we might get our 401k turned back on. Thats where we have a problem. Tim S. our former TM used to have a saying "Be lucky you still have a job". You have to ask yourself " If thats the best thing I can say about working here at Conway, is it really worth it?" Especially those of us that were lucky enough to wear the Orange and Brown uniforms of the past. Thats when this was a company. Thats when they used to care about us. So, yes I guess your right, I am selfish. I want what we used to be.

I'm not going to respond to every post, but I do think I need to say something. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what we are doing is not a "political thing". Its an "us thing". I don't think that anyone liked what happened 2 1/2 yrs ago when the economy started to tank, but we understood why. The problem is it hasn't stopped. Every few months they take away something or change something. All you can do is sit there and take it. Yes, YRC lost things too, but at least they had a say. We have no problem with the board getting paid, but when your telling us that you just made more profit in one quarter than all last year and still telling us that if we are lucky and work hard we might get our 401k turned back on. Thats where we have a problem. Tim S. our former TM used to have a saying "Be lucky you still have a job". You have to ask yourself " If thats the best thing I can say about working here at Conway, is it really worth it?" Especially those of us that were lucky enough to wear the Orange and Brown uniforms of the past. Thats when this was a company. Thats when they used to care about us. So, yes I guess your right, I am selfish. I want what we used to be.

We got the pay cut back....did we not?? your not saying anything about that. Did YRC get their paycut back. You need to get a life and get another job. If your that insecure with yourself maybe you need therapy. Everything is fine here. I make plenty of money and dont want somebody like you messing it up.
Better yet, buy you some stock and maybe you can be on the board of directors some day.

Oh yeah, and you mention UPS earlier. How can you compare conway with UPS?? Do you know how much money UPS makes compared to conway? When conway makes that kind of money, then I'm sure we'll have that kind of pay..

Your only saying the same things other people are bitching about. You don't know what you are talking about.. It's not that bad. Jeez..

I never wrote that what happened to YRC was a good thing. I wrote that at least they had a say in what happened. Good or bad. I'm not sure what you are getting at with Ups. I'm just saying they seem to be doing just fine with union. As far as the pay they gave back, you're talking about the pay they gave when they jacked up our insurance premiums. You're right. I did forget to mention that. Thanks for correcting me.

As much money as UPS has , and as much money as UPS makes , it doesn't mean they just give it away. Con-Way = we get what is offered , UPS = we get what we negotiate for. Ask yourself , knowing the TOTAL sh!tstorm this person or people will face , how bad must the situation be ? If I understand the post correctly , management has been notified and is involved. We may not know this person but Con-Way does. Of course there are regulations and laws protecting this individual , but let's be honest, this person has a TARGET on their forehead now. And judging the content of their post , I think this is a real person that felt strong enough about the situation to put their neck on the line. I don't know if I agree with the solution they are seeking in XCO , but the PROBLEMS ARE REAL. BTW , I take it that it's not to compare Con-Way to UPS. UPS is an example of what you get when things go right and both sides get roughly what they want.

If Conway had not lied to all of us old timers about our retirement all this time we would have gone to ups along time ago. Nobody forced Conway to spend 744 million on another trucking co. That was the nail in our coffin now its take take and more take. All you have left now is a job and with the greed of uppermanagement here you will never see anything come back.

Yes. Thanks. Everybody uses YRC as an example of why unions are bad. Ups seems to be making it work. The word union gets used and everyone swears the world is gonna end.

I am a DSR XCO. I love my job and I enjoy coming to work everyday. If you dont, QUIT! Im so tired of hearing people complaining about their job all the time time.

We got the pay cut back....did we not?? your not saying anything about that. Did YRC get their paycut back. You need to get a life and get another job. If your that insecure with yourself maybe you need therapy. Everything is fine here. I make plenty of money and dont want somebody like you messing it up.
Better yet, buy you some stock and maybe you can be on the board of directors some day.

Oh yeah, and you mention UPS earlier. How can you compare conway with UPS?? Do you know how much money UPS makes compared to conway? When conway makes that kind of money, then I'm sure we'll have that kind of pay..

Your only saying the same things other people are bitching about. You don't know what you are talking about.. It's not that bad. Jeez..

Since there isn't a "Dislike" selection for this post I hear by declare that I DISLIKE this one!! This is not a personal attack against the poster just his or her post.

Since there isn't a "Dislike" selection for this post I hear by declare that I DISLIKE this one!! This is not a personal attack against the poster just his or her post.

You can agree or disagree with a post by clicking this button in the bottom of it >
capturekam.png

We all knew when we came on board with this company that this company ran on a no-union platform. They pay us well. Did we loose benefits... yes, wages?.... yes. Pension match is the U.S..... yes. And I'm still making 65 K a year in the city. Put in 4 hours OT today alone. A lot of guys here enjoy what we have and get our backs up when stuff like this starts. You are entitled to try to organize your barn, but please don't post here when you suffer the consequences for your actions, and you don't get the support you think you have once the votes are cast. When it comes time to sh!t or get off the pot, I think a lot of drivers are not prepared to look for new work in the current state of the american economy. Our economy in canada is storming right now, every company is super busy ( with the exception or reimer/yrc ). Please don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Having been on both sides of the fence at one point or another in my career, it's a tough choice to make. Anyone that thinks all union carriers are bad, needs to take a better look at them.

On the other hand, those that think the non-union carriers are bad, needs to give their head a shake too.

The situation with Con-Way, although not like some, or a lot of us would like, is not as bad as some make it out to be. I think Con-Way has done some **** poor things to the drivers that built this place, but not enough to warrant third party representation.

I have had only ONE bad situation with a union, but it was enough to turn me off of them altogether. And, it wasn't that they went on strike, or misused dues, or anything, it was simply that i was laid off, and waited for 2 full months to get some work, and called the hall EVERY day looking for something to do. So, when it finally came to the point that I needed to put food in my family's mouths, guess what, I was removed from membership because I went to work for a non-union company, technically bought a truck and went to work for myself but whatever.

I don't wish to see Con-Way go union, simply because I will be looking for another job, regardless if they close the doors because of it or not.

I am a DSR XCO. I love my job and I enjoy coming to work everyday. If you dont, QUIT! Im so tired of hearing people complaining about their job all the time time.

Sounds like one of those kool-aid drinkers or sucka$$ snitches. I guess you also enjoy not having a retirement for all those long hours you put in. Since I've been at Con-Way, I hear alot of old timers bitching about how great the company use to be but they still keep on drinking that kool-aid. No retirement and screwed on vacations. Maybe you old timers should QUIT, because if you don't Quit then at least quit your bitching so you don't choke on your kool-aid:hissyfit:

Sounds like one of those kool-aid drinkers or sucka$$ snitches. I guess you also enjoy not having a retirement for all those long hours you put in. Since I've been at Con-Way, I hear alot of old timers bitching about how great the company use to be but they still keep on drinking that kool-aid. No retirement and screwed on vacations. Maybe you old timers should QUIT, because if you don't Quit then at least quit your bitching so you don't choke on your kool-aid:hissyfit:

No personal attacks please ...

I sense real fear in some posts here, particularly amongst those with anti-union sentiments which by the way I am for the most part or at least used to be. Now I want to listen and learn what a union could do for us.... I worry about being unemployed due to what could happen but I'm not gonna live in fear about it either cuz I won't be a slave to a crappy master who continuously takes more than he gives....:ranting2: