XPO | The truth about whats happening at XCO !!!!!!

something could change... like maybe fuel prices would go down? Maybe the economy would improve? Thanks Con-Way, it ain't happening and that's gotta be your fault too!

Maybe Con-way could think about honoring their obligations?

Well, well. Mr Tom Clark (VP for the eastern region) in case you don't know, paid XCO a visit today. Had talks with all of the drivers today. Said something about how important we are and he understands that the company wouldn't be where it is now if it wasn't for the drivers who have built this company and he appreciates all the hard work we do. Really wasn't paying much attention until someone asked if we would be seeing an increase. He said and I quote " There are NO plans to give an increase this year." Also told us that contrary to what our TM told us, we did not make the OP goal in the first quarter to qualify as one of the quarters to turn the 401k back on. So, we still need 2 consecutive quarters to get the 401k turned back on. It went all down hill from there. He did say that you never know, something could change and they would revisit the idea of an increase. Looks like another year of looking forward to nothing. Thanks Conway! How long are you willing to be stuck in the same rut with this company?

What exactly is it that you guys out there at XCO think you're entitled to that you're not getting? Just a couple of points of interest here I'd like to offer for you to think about.

The official unemployment number nation wide is 9.1 percent, that's over double what it was during most of the Bush administration.

The underemployment rate is close to 20 percent.

Some of you are acting as though Con-way is the only company out there who has made cutbacks to their compensation program. You act as though Con-way has made all this money unfairly off your backs when in reality they are struggling with a down economy just like their competition is and just like every other business in the United States is. I have been talking with other DSR's at my SC about this union BS you guys have started and I have yet to find a single one of them who would vote to certify the Teamsters. We're thankful for our jobs, too bad you can't feel the same way.

Suppose you pro-union guys take a vote and lose. Will that be enough to convince you to stop with your efforts to organize?

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting how this activity has been allowed to continue in this forum. Not long ago it would have been moved long before now... are we not debating the whole union / non-union thing here?

We are not an organizing site, Truckingboards does not tow the line for or against the Union, Truckingboards is about whats going on at a company and if this is going on then it's fair game to talk about here. We reserve the right to merge threads if they start dominating the forum.

I still don't understand... If you don't like how the company operates, why are you still here? Why are you trying to mess it up for all the staff at your location? Perhaps you should look for a job at another company that you feel is better suited to you. Why should the company change to suit you? This is the way conway works, if your not happy, see ya! You guys in the states really don't realize how bad your economy is... your looking at your small portion of the world, and don't see the whole picture. Economy still on the brink of collapse, housing market in the tank, your dollar faltering on the world market, china owning most of your debt.. I could go on and on. If you think a union is going to make it all better, you better get you resume's updated.....

I still don't understand... If you don't like how the company operates, why are you still here? Why are you trying to mess it up for all the staff at your location? Perhaps you should look for a job at another company that you feel is better suited to you. Why should the company change to suit you? This is the way conway works, if your not happy, see ya! You guys in the states really don't realize how bad your economy is... your looking at your small portion of the world, and don't see the whole picture. Economy still on the brink of collapse, housing market in the tank, your dollar faltering on the world market, china owning most of your debt.. I could go on and on. If you think a union is going to make it all better, you better get you resume's updated.....

With all of the bad financial things going on that you mentioned , it's not about a union , but about how management handles these things in troubled times. Con-Way has done a better job in the last few quarters , but over the last 3 years the profits of the company have been based DIRECTLY on cuts to the foundation of the business: DRIVERS. If you own or run a business , that is a bad business plan long term for your profits to be based on what you take from your employees , instead of growing the business. In other words , when you eat , you don't eat your own hand, you eat a sandwich. If this company is in business to make money it cannot overlook the drivers - they are the geese that lay the golden eggs. If you are managing a group of people that are uniquely qualified and don't grow on trees (DRIVERS) - do you want to encourage them to leave? What sense does that make?

interesting how this activity has been allowed to continue in this forum. Not long ago it would have been moved long before now... are we not debating the whole union / non-union thing here?

Uh oh! Mods and Admin have been called out.

This type of talk has been allowed in the past when it stayed civil and company specific.

Grasping at straws?

Funny ... calling me out ... this concerns the company .. it has remained civil .. and we have been allowing the conversation like this for about a year now .. is someone losing an argument to call me out ?

Let's say you are correct about everything in your post. What does it say about Con-Way when drivers turn down working here when things are as bad as you say?

Let me help you understand, some of us that have worked here for a period of time (13 years in my case) are tired of watching what was once a decent job slide so far in the opposite direction. Most can understand the cuts to one degree or another. It goes a little further than that. Down here in my portion of the world things may be a little better than others. Down South, oil field country. Truck driving jobs are a dime a dozen and pay wise are superior to conway. Especially starting pay. Conway is at least 1.50 to 2.00 an hour behind even the less well thought of ltl companies and even further behind the oil field related companies. Conway is so inflexible that they wont temporarily tweak the starting pay in this area enough to be competitive in attracting new hires or retaining them once they do get lucky and hire one. Then they see what they are in for when they start and in short order they are gone. More money, less physical work and no real difference in hours so you cant blame them. I can live with the cuts that are made. Couldn't live with always being so short handed that your quality of life is a sweat shop existence. I would have liked for the job to change enough that I thought I might be able to sustain the pace until I retired. I did just what you suggested about 6 weeks ago as I was not happy and said "see ya". Another employee and I same day. The following Monday the SCM was fired and they brought in 2 fos's and 7 drivers from across the country to try and keep up. 7 drivers is more than we ever had at one time and they are on top of the 3 that are still there. It was ok to work 4 or 5 of us to death for extended periods. I know it must be expensive as hell all the hotel rooms, meals and air fair. What common sense does it make when no effort was made to avoid it. Nah, your right, spot on canuck. We have no complaints and should feel lucky to just have a job. Let them hold you over a barrel, be frightened of your own shadow and keep your head in the sand. I regret I stuck around as long as I did hoping things would change. I wont be around to "mess it up" for you and others of your kind. I didn't lose a thing now that I look at it. Hope you are happy with what you end up with.

What exactly is it that you guys out there at XCO think you're entitled to that you're not getting? Just a couple of points of interest here I'd like to offer for you to think about.

The official unemployment number nation wide is 9.1 percent, that's over double what it was during most of the Bush administration.

The underemployment rate is close to 20 percent.

Some of you are acting as though Con-way is the only company out there who has made cutbacks to their compensation program. You act as though Con-way has made all this money unfairly off your backs when in reality they are struggling with a down economy just like their competition is and just like every other business in the United States is. I have been talking with other DSR's at my SC about this union BS you guys have started and I have yet to find a single one of them who would vote to certify the Teamsters. We're thankful for our jobs, too bad you can't feel the same way.

Suppose you pro-union guys take a vote and lose. Will that be enough to convince you to stop with your efforts to organize?
The reason they told you that they know your a hardcore true blue company man. Behind your back they our all signing card's and having meetings. Don't get all fired up i am just joking.

When Chicagoland gave it a shot it was here on the CCX form. Nice try.

lonerider, I appreciate your post. Concise, and thoughtful. Thank you. I received a couple of PM's stating I'm anti-american... nothing could be further from the truth. I myself am on 11 years with this company. When conway first opened in canada, it was designed to not make money if you can believe that! They wanted the running rights, with the option of being able to ship freight to canada if need be. Well, we boomed up here, and business has been crazy to say the least. I need to be clear about this... We do not want the U.S. in trouble! When your economy is up , so is ours. After 9/11, our economy took a big hit, just like yours. I also spent the past 9 years on linehaul, and have made some great friends with both conway drivers and CBP officers as well. I have hunted, fished and downed a few beers with them. I do not agree with things this company has done... past and present. Do I feel like the company takes advantage of us? Absolutely. Do I feel like a union presence will make thinks better? No. We go through the same problems with hiring as you guys do. No one wants to work this hard up here either. It's taken us a long time to get a good core group of drivers. My point to saying that if you are not happy, then you should look elsewhere was not to be a company man... just to state that as a driver, you have a skill set that can make you a lot of money if you choose. You mention the oil fields... same as up here. There are better paying jobs than conway, and when I feel like I've been poked in the pooper enough by the company, I will move on as well. I hope you have found greener pastures and wish you well.

on the crst thing is that they are top heavy on trl onthe west back and so they are moving them around. keep this in mind they did not buy c f i because they needed more large cars. they will work this over time in our operation. so when you see LARGE MARGE swing in with a set of joints be kind and spot her dolley. as you old timers know conway does not jump in with all 4 feet .they do it slow over a period of time, slow and easy.

When Chicagoland gave it a shot it was here on the CCX form. Nice try.

Funny ... calling me out ... this concerns the company .. it has remained civil .. and we have been allowing the conversation like this for about a year now .. is someone losing an argument to call me out ?

no arguments lost, not "trying" for anything. Palatine, Cicero, yes I was here at that time also. And, I ran through those barns.

I just sat back and scanned through the threads on this subject and remembered back when it was typed as the "U word". Over the last few years I remember some threads being moved to the other forums to allow "debate" of the subject. We tap danced around the word back then and when it heated up the thread went to the union/non-union forum.

I don't argue, I offer objective information and subjective views. Once in awhile I find a question to ask and if I happen to get someone's dander up, well that ain't all bad either. A few years back it was made very clear to me just what this site is... a business. I respect that and keep things in perspective now, better than before.

You know it probably wouldn't have come to this if things were done fairly, but when a 26 year employee loses his pension, which was to be replaced by an additional percentage added to the 401k, only to see the replacement portion taken away while the new hire loses nothing from his 401k. Wouldn't it had been better to take an equal percentage from everyone instead of more from the senior employees, and why not start giving back to the ones who lost the most first? I have lost a lot from this company but the pension hurts the worst, I would have retired in a couple of years, now I may have to work till I die :(

We got the pay cut back....did we not?? your not saying anything about that. Did YRC get their paycut back. You need to get a life and get another job. If your that insecure with yourself maybe you need therapy. Everything is fine here. I make plenty of money and dont want somebody like you messing it up.
Better yet, buy you some stock and maybe you can be on the board of directors some day.

Oh yeah, and you mention UPS earlier. How can you compare conway with UPS?? Do you know how much money UPS makes compared to conway? When conway makes that kind of money, then I'm sure we'll have that kind of pay..

Your only saying the same things other people are bitching about. You don't know what you are talking about.. It's not that bad. Jeez..
Yes we got our pay back, and that's a good thing. But I'm trying to look at the future. I can live with the 4 weeks vacation I lost, the 5 days of sick pay, the 5 % pay cuts, the 401 k match, but when you take the 401k payments that were supposed to make up for stopping our pension, you're hurting me in the future. Pension went from around 3,000 a month to about 1,000 - 1,100 now (just had dsr retire with 24 yrs and he gets about 1100). This affects me in the future, and we will never regain the amount lost in the last 2 yrs.

Just a short update about whats going on. We are well into the process of collecting signatures to schedule a vote. Received word today that 5 more terminals are now confirmed working with the teamsters.