SAIA | The truth (go to website pissed consumer read about saia)

This is my first real trucking job. I started at Pepsi at 21, got my license and year of experience, then hopped to Saia as a city driver. I'm 29 now and have only had 3 jobs in my life, and don't really want to start at the bottom somewhere else. I cannot speak for alot of companies other than what I hear from other drivers. Almost everything I'm seeing in this thread is 100% true. God Help Saia does not come across to me as trying to be a troll, but trying to get some who are drinking the kool-aid to open their eyes. There are alot of problems here, yes, but damn look at it as a marriage that you can get out of without loosing half your ****. I think the big downfall here is the huge focus on the numbers, the numbers! The focus should be on our customer, b/c without them no one in trucking would have a job. If that means working one extra guy more than the numbers call for then so be it. Customers should not have to call at 1700 for an e.t.a. on a driver b/c they are a 1730 close. Then when they call they sometimes get a bull answer. I'm gonna end my senseless rant but let's all just try to either work together :grouphug:, or look for another job.

This is my first real trucking job. I started at Pepsi at 21, got my license and year of experience, then hopped to Saia as a city driver. I'm 29 now and have only had 3 jobs in my life, and don't really want to start at the bottom somewhere else. I cannot speak for alot of companies other than what I hear from other drivers. Almost everything I'm seeing in this thread is 100% true. God Help Saia does not come across to me as trying to be a troll, but trying to get some who are drinking the kool-aid to open their eyes. There are alot of problems here, yes, but damn look at it as a marriage that you can get out of without loosing half your ****. I think the big downfall here is the huge focus on the numbers, the numbers! The focus should be on our customer, b/c without them no one in trucking would have a job. If that means working one extra guy more than the numbers call for then so be it. Customers should not have to call at 1700 for an e.t.a. on a driver b/c they are a 1730 close. Then when they call they sometimes get a bull answer. I'm gonna end my senseless rant but let's all just try to either work together :grouphug:, or look for another job.

You are correct Demolitionman, I hear a lot of those types of calls at my terminal, "where is my driver".

To beat a dead horse, so to speak, Saia has the same issues that a vast majority, if not a total majority, of other carriers have.....LTL or TL. You can load a trailer perfectly. Block, brace, all that stuff. All it takes is the right curve or bump and you have a 28' or 48' or 53' trash can. That's why we have the "D" in OS&D. That's why one of Saia's CSI's is Claims Settled in 30 days. It's a little far fetched to think that when freight moves up and down the highways and road speed, that it is going to arrive in the exact same condition that it left the yard in. Now, do I personally think more can be done to prevent as much damage? Sure, who doesn't? But Rome wasn't built in a day. You are seeing more straps, load bars, air bags, etc. arriving at these terminals. True, you have to use them in order to benefit from them, but I digress. Freight will get damaged, customers know that. Would it **** me off if my freight was damaged. Yep. I could understand minor damage on an infrequent basis. But when you have a customer that is continuously having to file claims, that's a problem. Shippers and consignees aren't new to this business. If they get fed up, they have other options. Saia will lose business, and Saia will gain business. That's all there is to it. When I was hired, the ad in the paper didn't say "Saia, the perfect carrier, is hiring drivers." As long as the direct deposit continues to post and the benefits are there when I need them......I'm good.

to start with the author of this thread is a fired disgruntle employee, so we know his problem. as far as service and claims go the payer of the freight wants a 80+ discount this causes the carrier to push it's employee's and **** happens, city route are over loaded line haul units are over packed, so IMO you get what you pay for, so if you only pay 20% them you only get 20% service. that's the way it should be.

Jack knife maybe saia should only pay you 20% of your pay remember I am not on here to bash drivers/dockmen etc. I just want to tell the truth and also everyone that has left saia is not fired for me change was not happening with current managment I had an great opprotunity at another company so I left.
to start with the author of this thread is a fired disgruntle employee, so we know his problem. as far as service and claims go the payer of the freight wants a 80+ discount this causes the carrier to push it's employee's and **** happens, city route are over loaded line haul units are over packed, so IMO you get what you pay for, so if you only pay 20% them you only get 20% service. that's the way it should be.

To beat a dead horse, so to speak, Saia has the same issues that a vast majority, if not a total majority, of other carriers have.....LTL or TL. You can load a trailer perfectly. Block, brace, all that stuff. All it takes is the right curve or bump and you have a 28' or 48' or 53' trash can. That's why we have the "D" in OS&D. That's why one of Saia's CSI's is Claims Settled in 30 days. It's a little far fetched to think that when freight moves up and down the highways and road speed, that it is going to arrive in the exact same condition that it left the yard in. Now, do I personally think more can be done to prevent as much damage? Sure, who doesn't? But Rome wasn't built in a day. You are seeing more straps, load bars, air bags, etc. arriving at these terminals. True, you have to use them in order to benefit from them, but I digress. Freight will get damaged, customers know that. Would it **** me off if my freight was damaged. Yep. I could understand minor damage on an infrequent basis. But when you have a customer that is continuously having to file claims, that's a problem. Shippers and consignees aren't new to this business. If they get fed up, they have other options. Saia will lose business, and Saia will gain business. That's all there is to it. When I was hired, the ad in the paper didn't say "Saia, the perfect carrier, is hiring drivers." As long as the direct deposit continues to post and the benefits are there when I need them......I'm good.
this is right on..god help saia had me a little excited when he made his very first remarks regarding our company.if anyone wants to look at the pissed costomer website, i would ask them to enter ANY LTL co. you can think of and see what the results are. i did it...estes,yrc,cooper...god help made it seem like saia was the only one effin some stuff up every now and then. if you are a disgruntled or dissatisfied former employee...dont go away mad....just go away.

demolitionman, you dont think this guy is a troll?what do you think his motivation is?? come on a saia blog...run the company down. them win a few hearts over with complimentary statements regarding a guys dock work or attitude. Then all of sudden this guy is the greatest and him running down saia is 100% on. (THAT sounds like kool aid to me)i agree with most of your opinions...this "mystery guy" doesnt pass the smell test for me.

demolitionman, you dont think this guy is a troll?what do you think his motivation is?? come on a saia blog...run the company down. them win a few hearts over with complimentary statements regarding a guys dock work or attitude. Then all of sudden this guy is the greatest and him running down saia is 100% on. (THAT sounds like kool aid to me)i agree with most of your opinions...this "mystery guy" doesnt pass the smell test for me.

The guy is not flaming anyone, talking rationally, and just voicing an opinion. That in my book is not a troll. I don't have to like what someone says to have a favorable opinion of a poster.

Jack knife maybe saia should only pay you 20% of your pay remember I am not on here to bash drivers/dockmen etc. I just want to tell the truth and also everyone that has left saia is not fired for me change was not happening with current managment I had an great opprotunity at another company so I left.
sounds to me like you are bashing the driver and dock men, they are the one's that load the trailers and deliver the freight

I take it YOU dont work here any more,now that you got that off your shoulders its time YOU move on,let it go...what region did you work in?:6792:

WoW that sounds like every LTL I ever worked for !!!
Difference was all the ones I worked for were under a union contract and I could speak my mind with out being worried about my employment. I would say your days are numbered if they have not already dropped the hatchet.... Now remember who used to own them hint YFS The only company they bought and did not bankrupt to boot....
When will all of you steering wheel holder CEO's realize that all you are to them is a piece of meat and when the chewing gets tuff you get spit out !!

I take it YOU dont work here any more,now that you got that off your shoulders its time YOU move on,let it go...what region did you work in?:6792:

its a big "mystery", scout....thats info he will only divulge at a later date.---when the time is right!! lol!!!

WoW that sounds like every LTL I ever worked for !!!
Difference was all the ones I worked for were under a union contract and I could speak my mind with out being worried about my employment. I would say your days are numbered if they have not already dropped the hatchet.... Now remember who used to own them hint YFS The only company they bought and did not bankrupt to boot....
When will all of you steering wheel holder CEO's realize that all you are to them is a piece of meat and when the chewing gets tuff you get spit out !!
At least Saia is gonna be around for some time to come..We will see who get's spit out soon enough........

The first post is more than about 75% acurate. Saia is very evil, pay is okay. It was a great company when Mr Saia owned it. I worked there for almost 20 years. Yes I was terminated. Wrongly and it did take a court of law to find me in the right and alot of money from that place but Iam happier than ever. When your blinders are finally removed you will see the light, I used to bleed Saia, but no more you are and will always be just a number but GoodLuck. I did leave that place with some of the best friends in my life. Keep On Truckin

saia mgt team in chicago (willowbrook il) terminal is ran by 2 former yrc over paid knuckleheads. phil m--t , fran g will make you very unhappy keep etics point on your speed dial its all about saias pocketbook not the employees who bleed it

Most everyone that posts on Saia's section seems to be Linehaul. So my question to everyone is, Why the hell should we care about how efficiently the terminal side of the business works. We're paid to show up, drag the correct trailers, stick to some sembalence of a time schedule, do it safely, and then get out of the way. If the business side oversteps its bounds, then take them to court like Rewind did and congratulations to him for winning. My biggest decision of the night is whether to turn on the radio or the a/c first and that is the way I like it. Let the headaches stay on the terminal side.

In *MY* humble opinion things seem to have gotten better since Tony A. left. I remember when he screamed at the dock workers in (unidentified SoCal Terminal) and threw freight on the ground. If he would have yelled at me like he yelled at those dock workers I would have knocked him the f**k out... nuff said...

Last edited by a moderator:
In *MY* humble opinion things seem to have gotten better since Tony A. left. I remember when he screamed at the dock workers in (unidentified SoCal Terminal) and threw freight on the ground. If he would have yelled at me like he yelled at those dock workers I would have knocked him the f**k out... nuff said...

I completely agree. Since Tony A was fired the rates have gone up and this is a much more profitable terminal. If some ******** from management would have yelled and screamed at my guys about how they did their job I would wanted the punch them as well. No one, I mean no one will disrespect my guys without knowing the effort we go through everynight for this place. We all joke about he koolaid, but in the end it's about job security. The customer should pay a good rate for our services, and in return they expect us to take care of their freight so it delivers clear at their customer's dock. If that means we do not stack their freight on a non logistics trailer then so be it. **** them.....all management is looking at is the numbers when they should be looking out for the customersl

Dracula, you are correct most of us are line haul, and no there is nothing we should be doing as far as the bottom line. I see how little ATL cares about service to our customers and that is not my problem. The only thing we can do is make sure we get out freight to the breaks in timely manner and also our freight back to our origin terminals in a timely manner. As I have said earlier I do not take a break during my entire 12-14 hour shift. That being said, that's my choice to get home as early as possible, and not an attemp to mask the failure of the company to make the cut times. We all have to do our part to secure our jobs, but if you need/want to take a break then screw your TM or I/B supervisor. We are humana and work hard, so therefore we deserve a little downtime durng our nightly jobs.