The wait for trucks?

truck chic

TB Lurker
Credits
My hubby just signed on to Con-way Truckload and finished his orientation - only to find out he will be waiting for a truck for 2 weeks mabe more! Is this normal and will he ever get one!

My hubby just signed on to Con-way Truckload and finished his orientation - only to find out he will be waiting for a truck for 2 weeks mabe more! Is this normal and will he ever get one!

Welcome to Truckingboards.com trucker chic! I moved your question down into the CFI (conway truckload) section of truckingboards. Usually COWBOYUP will be along probably tomorrow to answer your question.

I wouldn't say that it's normal, generally speaking, but it's definitely normal right now.

The usual pattern is that people leave and people get hired at roughly the same pace. The recruiters are given targets as far as growing the fleet or not growing the fleet and they hire as needed to meet the targets. What we have now is a situation where they are not looking to grow the fleet in the near term. If twenty people are expected to quit or be fired, then they hire twenty more. It's a guessing game to a certain extent, as far as having newly hired people in place to handle our customers whenever a driver leaves. They have to stay a step ahead of the demand.

Without being in the office to see the numbers, my gut tells me that people are a little less likely to quit right now. So most of the hiring would be to replace those who get fired. If five fewer drivers quit last month than normally would have quit, then five new hires don't have a truck waiting for them. Normally truck drivers seem to spend half their time driving and the other half looking for another job. With a lot of companies having money problems, those who are with a stable outfit are staying put right now. Con-way Truckload is one of those stable outfits.

Hang in there and good luck to your husband.

How stable?

Vito,

In light of the following report...

I am concerned about stability.

Typically, those with ties to air freight and logistics operations take the greater downturn during periods of lean freight.

Freight carriers see rough road ahead in 2009

SAMANTHA BOMKAMP
AP Transportation Writer

NEW YORK — Sliding demand and stiffer competition for customers promise to make 2009 another tough year for the nation's freight carriers.

Trucking companies and railroads have already faced more than a year of challenging times and expect more difficulty ahead.

In the fourth quarter of 2008, many trucking companies reaped the benefits of sharply lower fuel prices, but shrinking shipping demand hampered earnings.

San Mateo, Calif.-based Con-way Inc. swung to a loss, and the trucker's chief executive said the fourth-quarter results "foreshadowed an extraordinary decline in demand for freight services."

Vito,

In light of the following report...

I am concerned about stability.

Typically, those with ties to air freight and logistics operations take the greater downturn during periods of lean freight.

Freight carriers see rough road ahead in 2009

SAMANTHA BOMKAMP
AP Transportation Writer

NEW YORK — Sliding demand and stiffer competition for customers promise to make 2009 another tough year for the nation's freight carriers.

Trucking companies and railroads have already faced more than a year of challenging times and expect more difficulty ahead.

In the fourth quarter of 2008, many trucking companies reaped the benefits of sharply lower fuel prices, but shrinking shipping demand hampered earnings.

San Mateo, Calif.-based Con-way Inc. swung to a loss, and the trucker's chief executive said the fourth-quarter results "foreshadowed an extraordinary decline in demand for freight services."

Conway truckload is the only part of the CNF umbrella that made money last quarter last year.

Con-way Freight will get hit harder than Truckload will. Our business has slowed, to be sure, but it's important to distinguish between slow times and instability. As noted earlier, we were the only profitable end of the business last quarter. The Freight side has already consolidated some service centers and laid off some employees. They're not in the precarious position that some of their competitors seem to be.

In view of whatever struggles may or may not lie ahead for Con-way Inc., they are probably fortunate to have a fairly large and efficient truckload outfit in their portfolio. The LTL guys who like to rag on us will often point out that we're "cheaper" labor than they are. Some of their logic is a little skewed, but on a certain level they're right. It's cheaper to pay me to go from Bangor to Los Angeles than it is to pay ten linehaul drivers and try to fill them with return freight. Having guys like me out here is helpful for the bottom line.

In terms of the truckload operation - We have a lot, and I mean a LOT, of business with Mexico. If you do a Google search on freight traffic across the Mexican border during the last year, you might be interested in what you see. Since our 10-K's are public now, I can't assume that they're lying when they say that we're making money.

(Damn dude, you've made me sound like a company spokesman or something. I have no great affection for my employer, believe it or not, but objectively I'm not concerned about their financial stability. Now ask me what I think about the weekend dispatchers so I can complain like a real truck driver. :tongue1:)

RE: Con-way Truckload

Thanks for the information!

Based upon your reply, I did some research on each of the divisions at CNW and it was reflective of your post.

Anyone who has worked more than 6 months probably comes to the realization that there is no "perfect" job.

As I seek to make the transition from a Class C truck as an expediter to a Class A truckload driver there is a huge financial risk. I am trying to minimize the risk factors; hopefully, by asking the right questions.

Considering that there will be no income while waiting for an opening in the training class, the overall cost of the training (lodging, food, transportation, etc), the minimal income while driving with a trainer and the possibility of having to wait for a truck after the training are real concerns.

If I was a young, single guy living at home the risk would be markedly reduced. I just happen to be an old guy with a wife that would like to think that we will be able to remain home owners.

:3dflagsdotcom_usa_2

That's what was concerning my husband and I, he's had 3 weeks without a real paycheck. Sixty dollars a day doesn't pay the rent. Don't get me wrong we are very greatful that he's working - as many of our neighbors aren't.

RE: Truck Chic

Glad to hear that you have such a positive attitude.

I believe that both of you will do fine.

During this time of economic upheaval most of us will be making sacrifices.

At best, it will probably be 3 months before I see a check and then I will experience the same daily pay rate as your husband.

At this time I am just waiting on a favorable response from the recruiter and then a confirmed date to begin training.

:party-smiley-017:

Con-Way LTL and Con-way TL are sister companies but they operate entirely different and should not be lumped together as just one company.
they haul completely different freight types and only work together on a small scale.
As to the wait time for a truck? No this is not normal. It is so at present because of the low turn over in drivers at present.

they always over hire and have drivers waiting for trucks :biglaugh: that is why there is no miles to many drivers on board :duh: this has been common since Glenn let Herbie baby have the throne :bowdown: