The what am I doing or did today thread part 2

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by Airbrakes, Nov 5, 2013.

1. othertrucker2001

othertrucker2001 Professional Flummoxer

Where at?

[​IMG]

2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

3. othertrucker2001

4. RacerX69

RacerX69 Retired Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired/Wingnut

We had heavy rains with some lowland flooding, and high winds in excess of 70 mph. As I was driving home last Thursday after work I had to detour several times for trees across the highway on my way out of the city to our Little Slice Of Paradise By The River.

As I dodged trees and limbs on the road I began to have that odd feeling that something awaited me as I drew close to home. As I mad that last turn off of the county road onto the private road we live on I had that feeling of something ominous ahead. Sure enough, only a few hundred feet down the road in the darkness I saw this:

[​IMG]Windstorm 12-12-14 HDR by racerx6948, on Flickr

A very large tree (about 18" in diameter) had fallen across the road, completely ripping down several spans of power and phone wires. So I though, "No big deal, I'll just turn around and come in the back way". There is a road that ends on the back side of my property and a gate that I usually keep locked. When there are trees down or for other reasons where access is needed by up or the neighbors I open it, but it usually stays closed.

As I made my way back out, and down the other road to come in the back way I found more trees down on the power lines, but was able to get around them on the shoulder of the road:

[​IMG]Windstorm 12-12-14 by racerx6948, on Flickr

[​IMG]Windstorm 12-12-14 by racerx6948, on Flickr

Needless to say the power was out. In fact when I called the power company to report the wires on the ground they told me that at that point in time there were about 50,000 customers without power.

The next morning the power was still out. Since we have a private well we keep water in empty milk jugs in the basement to flush the toilet and use for washing up. I heated water on the propane gas cooktop in a large pot and then used it to get a "bath" before heading into the city to work. When I came home Friday night the power was still out, and no utility crews in sight. Another call to the power company and I found out that there were still about 12,000 customers without power.

The power came back on early Saturday, after having been out for approximately 38 hours.

Living in the sticks can be rough, but I would not trade it for city life. The peace and quiet are priceless.

5. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

6. RacerX69

Thanks Jeff.

Its just normal winter weather up here. We had 4" of snow a couple weeks ago, and I was really hoping for a White Christmas. But then after a week of freezing weather it warmed up and rained all the snow away.

The latest thing is the Christmas tree blew up.

[​IMG]Tree Lights Zoom by racerx6948, on Flickr

othertrucker2001, Big Dave and Jeff like this.
  7. othertrucker2001

WOW! Glad yall are ok.

RacerX69 likes this.
  8. RacerX69

Thanks OT.

Actually things are usually not so bad out this way. Sure, there is the occasional tree falling on a house or car, and there was that pesky Oso Mudslide. And we get flooding in the lowlands in this time of year after heavy rains and in the spring when the mountain snows melt.

But it is nothing compared to that crap they have in California. Fires that get blown out of control by the Santa Anna Winds. And they have tornadoes and mudslides all the time, like the other day:

http://www.newsmax.com/US/California-floods-mudslides-tornado/2014/12/13/id/612798/

Hope @Big Dave is OK!

othertrucker2001 and Big Dave like this.
  9. Big Dave

Big Dave Dispatcher for Team BRG-Wong

I'm fine, thanks. Yeah, mudslides are bad.....but people here are not that bright. Drivers here think that when they turn on the windshield wipers, you have to go in panic mode. You can hear screams of panic in the cars next to you if a few drops hit your windshield. People don't go to work if it rains most of the day.
    The wack-job arsonists wait for the Santa Ana Winds and the knuckleheads who throw cigarettes out the window during the winds cause most of the fires.
    Soooo why live here? It's 67 degrees out and the wind chill is......67 degrees. :)

10. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

i hate you

Big Dave likes this.
  11. Big Dave

I still like you.......hey, want me to send ya some of these jackets collecting dust in my closet? :p

12. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

...................:grouphug:............

13. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

yeah, sure, why not..????

14. Big Dave

Hmmmm...by chance do you wear size: Mongo/Hoss too??
    Oh wait...here's a XL. It's my old 5th grade jacket. It says Franklin Elementary.........

15. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

depends on what country of origin the coats/jackets were made in.

if American made, i am a medium, but if made in Indochina, Vietnam, Mexico, Malaysia, a large fits me perfectly, i think they use the metric system there.

some other countries, China/Hong Kong i think? use the imperial measurement system, or once did. then i can usually fit into my regular sizes.

16. RacerX69

Well I trust that everyone had an excellent Christmas. Mrs. Racer and I had another very enjoyable one, and on Christmas Day we drove down to Lincoln City, Oregon to our "home" for seven days. We are staying in a place where every condo has a unique name.

Dock Cousteau.

Shore Thing.

Squid Pro Quo.

Octopus On Boots.

Ahoy Named Sue.

Kelp Me Rhonda.

Breaker's Dozen.

Buoy Wonder.

The Beachelor Pad.

Shrimp Daddy.

Return Of The Jetty.

Tidezilla.

Worthy Porpoise.

Anchor Management.

And many other unique and "cute" names.

Ours is Prawn Solo.

The door on the beachside opens right onto the beach.

And we are right next to the World's Shortest River. The "D" River. Originally listed in the Guiness Book at 440 feet (130m) then some Flounders in Montana attempted to usurp that title with the Roe River at 201 feet (61m). Locals in Lincoln City then measured the D River at extreme high tide and regained the notoriety with an official measurement of 120 feet (36m).

The weather has been typical coastal stuff. Cloudy, misty, some rain and some sunny skies, even yesterday the temps reached the mid 50's. It was nice, walking on the beach in the sun, feeling it's warmth. Each evening I have been out on the beach, even shot some night photos. It is very interesting what can be done with long exposures at night with today's digital cameras.

[​IMG]Beach At Night by racerx6948, on Flickr

And during a daytime walk on the beach, all three major food groups are represented. A Ford, a propane tank and an orange.

[​IMG]Ford Pickup by racerx6948, on Flickr

[​IMG]Propane Tank by racerx6948, on Flickr

[​IMG]Beach Orange by racerx6948, on Flickr

sharpshooter and Big Dave like this.
  17. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Well-Known Member

You take such cool pics Racer!!
    I took this 1 Saturday while out for a ride, not a lot of "clarity" with a cell phone though
    [​IMG]

Getoverit, RacerX69 and Big Dave like this.
  18. Guardrail

Guardrail Super Moderator Staff Member

Last week I worked 3 and was off 4. Not to be outdone, this week I work 2 days and will be off 5. I could get used to this.

Guardrail

RacerX69 likes this.
  19. RacerX69

Thanks Shooter!

Not bad for a cell phone shot(of course I am assuming it was taken with a cell phone!). A comment if I may. It looks like the sun was in the upper right, creating some serious flare.

You could improve it by keeping the sun over your shoulder. I know it is tough to do, but take a walk around and see if you can find a position where it will be there. That way the lighting will be better. Cell phone cameras can't resolve harsh lighting very well, and keeping that in mind you should be able to make some pretty decent photos with one.

Oh, and nice bike!

sharpshooter likes this.
  20. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

I'd love to ride this one.....

Getoverit and sharpshooter like this.