The what am I doing or did today thread part 2

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by Airbrakes, Nov 5, 2013.

1. othertrucker2001

othertrucker2001 Professional Flummoxer

Ok. I gotta know. How the heck did you blow up this tree?

RacerX69 likes this.
  2. RacerX69

RacerX69 Retired Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired/Wingnut

Same way I blew up the house.

[​IMG]Houselights by racerx6948, on Flickr

With the camera on a tripod, set for a long exposure (30 seconds) I began the exposure. I used an 18~55mm zoom lens starting at 18mm. I let the exposure stay at the wider setting (18mm) for about 20 seconds, then slowly zoomed the lens to 55mm for the last 10 seconds. Since the majority of the exposure was at the wider focal length the subject was mostly exposed and registered at that setting. Only the lights registered during the last 10 seconds as I zoomed the lens, creating the look of them radiating from the central subject.

othertrucker2001 likes this.
  3. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

what did i do today..??

went to the bank and made January's mortgage payment, to get more of a tax write off, for 2014.

then i went to Micky D's for coffee, then I went and bought postage stamps.

then i went to the barbershop and shot the breeze with him and an old friend of his that plays the accordion in a small band.

came home had to take a nap, then watched tv

i was going to make a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, but i cannot have cheese. and i don't have a grille, so i toasted a bagel instead.

whew.......am i bushed.........

probably going to bed about 8 again.....damn, i hate these long days.

Stimpy likes this.
  4. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

Whoa ..... you going to ease up a little or your going to over do It...lol

5. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

i know, and to think that 2 weeks ago i had my annual exam (not a DOT) at my primary care doctor. he found that my B/P is a bit higher than he would like it to be, so he increased that dosage.

Geesh, i really ought to slow down....

maybe instead of NOT sending me enough your famous emails, you ought to send more, you know, to keep the blood flowing..???........:1sm057crazy:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  6. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

They have been slow... my source must be on vacation.... i know bummer

7. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

I sent you an octopus. ... maybe that will hold you over for tonight. ...lol

8. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

well tell you what, you ought to hire those hackers and "sic'em" on him..........

i'll not stand for his un-thoughtful acts......!!!!!!

9. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

wwweellllllllll.............never seen any octopus like that before........

got any clams..........?????.......:hysterical:

10. 4ramsey

4ramsey Active Member

Froze my butt off today. Seems like exactly a year ago i was whining about the same crap. This mornings air temp was -13 deg with -35 windchill. 8 of my 14 del. were no dock outside stops. by noon it was zero. Never thought zero deg. would feel so good lol

sharpshooter and Big Dave like this.
  11. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

What a waste of a weekend. Friday came and about 1 O'clock I was at my 17th stop of the day and I bought lunch there ate lunch in the truck driving to my 18th stop of the day and I felt my throat begin to get a little sore. Saturday came and I didn't feel so good and now today Sunday I have a soar throat and cough when I ex-hale.
    I think I had a bit of a fever on Saturday, but it is hard to say. Didn't do a darn thing this weekend.

Watched TV most of the day today. Let's see what did I watch oh I watched VICE News Russian Pilots of the Congo that was really pretty interesting, did you guys know that the Democratic Republic of Congo has the worst airline safety record in the entire world?

Also most of the planes that fly in the Congo are old Soviet air craft and piloted by ex-Soviet Union pilots. They usually fly medical supplies and stuff like that to remote villages that are really only accessible by air plane, because the Democratic Republic of Congo has been in a 20 years civil war and the few roads there are, are usually taken over by rebel groups.

Also watched a program about the Congo Ocean Railroad that runs through the jungle and from the western most point of Congo to it's eastern most point. The railroad was originally built by the french and well it's just a sight to see out of 25 locomotives that the rail road owns only 11 of them are actually operational. Most of the locomotives they have they bought second hand from China or Germany. The one's from China they bought because they were cheap junk. The one's from Germany they bought because they thought "well we need to buy something that should last."

I also watched Railroad Alaska which is actually a good show unfortunately it's all Ice Road Truckered up. A lot of manufactured drama and scripting and BS like that, but if you can get past all that it is an interesting show. It's about the Alaska Railroad which is the only railroad in Alaska runs from the port of Seward to Fairbanks, Alaska.

The only thing I don't get and someone said this on the Ice Road Truckers forum is these people live in Alaska they should be over stocked with supplies. I mean for Pete's sake when the weather is good and the roads are open stock up on supplies. Yet every episode of Railroad Alaska and Ice Road Truckers is the same oh we need to get this dump truck to the mine right away right now they need it yesterday. I'm sorry, but how long has the mine been open and up there? And shouldn't they already have a dump truck or 5 or 10?

You know fail to prepare prepare to fail. That's another thing to, to be some kind of offgridder in Alaska I don't think is cheap or simple. You're in a constant struggle against the environment and at the end of the day you still have to make you're way into town to buy fuel and food which because of Alaska being where it is cannot be cheap at all, I mean you'll pay a premium for everything because it costs an absolute ton to ship things to Alaska.

12. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

In September or October, I buy my speedi-dri for the sidewalks when there is ice. I buy my snow shovels if I need them as well. I buy my rock salt when it is on the store floor. I stock up on canned foods, and frozen foods. i buy my gasoline and oil for the snow equipment in November. i have my heating systems checked and cleaned in late September or early October.

i get my car's oil and filter change and tire rotated in November. I will NOT live "off the grid". even though i hate most people, i still will not live so far away that a tiny snow storm will cut me off. i hate wild life, the "wild life" i have here in my neighborhood is "wild enough" for me to handle. i have several stores (markets), one is actually across the street from my house, another about 2 blocks away, another about one block away, and a BIG supermarket .8 mile a way. as well as a plethora of fast food places, and a wonderful Chinese place for take out and here, in "my hood"???? so many pizza shops, sandwich shops that deliver, and i'm gonna live off the grid...???

i think not.

oh and i watched Greenbay LOSE, dammit, in a very good game, and my team, the Pats win in a very boring game.

othertrucker2001 and MikeJ like this.
  13. Guardrail

Guardrail Super Moderator Staff Member

At 9 pm, half way through my Captain and Coke, my wife came running upstairs all upset. She ripped the bumper cover (entire front end) off her 2012 Nissan Altima, while backing out of the garage. I pulled it into the shop and reinstalled it the best I could.

There are only 2 screws holding the entire front end together, that and about 20 plastic push clips. It now has an additional 10 plastic zip ties and 2 fender washers.

I called an aftermarket supplier and can get a replacement bumper cover for $80. Another $250 to paint it and it'll be good as new.

MikeJ likes this.
  14. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

Pro man I'm all for being prepaid but I am with you on these off the grinders in Alaska. Those people live like absolute crap. There using out houses most out houses don't have doors because they don't want bears sneaking up on them and like I said they still end up going into town any how. So they live in the wilderness freeze there behinds off. No phone, no roads god forbid a medical emergency happens. These off the grinders are dependent upon the Alaska rail road for everything. The Alaska Rail Road runs a flag stop train service so these people run out of the woods down to the railroad tracks and they flag Down the passenger train to take them into town. Where they can go pay a premium for there goods.

The rail road also runs a high rail steak bed truck that carries propain and heating oil so the off the griders
    can get fuel.

What I think a good service would be is get a couple refrigerated rail cars together and run a flag stop grocery train. Sell groceries to these people on the side of the rail.

15. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

With the odoriffic crap that i do, i see no need for a door on an out house as well (i gotta also think that i will sometimes smoke a cigar, and the impending explosion from the gas would certainly rocket the out house to the moon). those bears would surely die, then i'd have me some bear meat, and a rug!!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Big Dave, othertrucker2001 and MikeJ like this.
  16. WildHeart

WildHeart Well-Known Member

Just sitting around hoping the oilfields don't implode on us...again.

Finally settled into some semblance of normal life and the oil prices take a digger....Brian brought in nearly 45K from September to December..you'd think we could just keep this up to pay everything off, pay cash for another car and get my house in Colorado finished so it can be rented out before it all goes to hell in a handbasket. For crap sakes just want to get settled for awhile.

End rant.

17. mud

mud Wonderin'

I guess it depends on what part of the price of oil spectrum your on. I'm enjoying the low price of gasoline and propane.

othertrucker2001 likes this.
  18. WildHeart

Well considering my husband's job and my chosen career of driving in the oilfield depends on the price of oil staying high... I am not relishing it as much. :/

19. mud

mud Wonderin'

The problem is it's cheaper to pump oil straight out of the ground vs. fracking, as our so called allies in the middle east are now proving.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  20. WildHeart

Trust me I am paying very close attention to what OPEC is up too, and what's driving costs, what could help it as well.

mud likes this.