Central Transport | The worst company ever

hooya

TB Lurker
Credits
I just quit this sorry company. Unfortunately, I worked there for several miserable years. Everything about it sucked, from the lazy managers to the non-maintained equipment to the pay shortages that never got re-embursed. Nobody in management gives a crap about the drivers and the "HR" department is a joke. I'm so happy to be gone.... My reccomendation is to stand on a street corner holding a sign that says "will work for food" before you work for this company.

I just quit this sorry company. Unfortunately, I worked there for several miserable years. Everything about it sucked, from the lazy managers to the non-maintained equipment to the pay shortages that never got re-embursed. Nobody in management gives a crap about the drivers and the "HR" department is a joke. I'm so happy to be gone.... My reccomendation is to stand on a street corner holding a sign that says "will work for food" before you work for this company.

Hey hooya,

I can certainly relate with your experience. Things at CT are changing for the better--too bad they weren't fast enough for you.

Hope things are going well for you and that you've landed a new driving job.

Thanks for wishing me well SemiDriven. I'm very happy in my new job. I got out of trucking alltogether. You're right things didn't change fast enough for me but my problems were mostly with immediate supervisors and I believe that's going to take a long long time to change. Presentiy, a supervisor can get away with treating a driver any way he wants to IE; bully or lie, and not be held accountable for it. I started working for CT in '06 and it was that way then too. For your sake and all the other good drivers that work there I hope it keeps getting better.

I've had more good experiences than bad with the supervisors at the barn where I'm at over the years. Job satisfaction can indeed hinge on whether or not a supervisor treats all employees fair and square.

Glad to hear you're doing well in your non-driving position.

I have a good TM and my AC is good to work at. I look at where were at as a company a year ago this time. We didn't have a yard jockey last year, this year we do. Our vacation pay has been restored and our raises, although small, are unfrozen. Starting to see newer equipment. We actually have a TM at our location last year we didn't. Going back to the AC we now have a night mechanic and a Dock Supervisor. So things are better. Remain optimistic that our new President can hold up to the pressures of ownership and get this company positioned for long term growth both for the drivers and the company.

[/B][/COLOR]
Hey hooya,

I can certainly relate with your experience. Things at CT are changing for the better--too bad they weren't fast enough for you.

Hope things are going well for you and that you've landed a new driving job.

Hey SemiDriven,

I hate to burst your bubble, but I know that Central will be closing 23 terminals shortly. And, unfortunately that is only the beginning. There will be more cuts to follow. I have inside information that Jackson MI will be closing for sure, and at least that TM told his drivers what was happening. I'm sure other TM's know, but aren't saying anything to the drivers, until they get the pink slips.

So, I don't see how "things are changing for the better"!

John

[/B][/COLOR]

Hey SemiDriven,

I hate to burst your bubble, but I know that Central will be closing 23 terminals shortly. And, unfortunately that is only the beginning. There will be more cuts to follow. I have inside information that Jackson MI will be closing for sure, and at least that TM told his drivers what was happening. I'm sure other TM's know, but aren't saying anything to the drivers, until they get the pink slips.

So, I don't see how "things are changing for the better"!

John

Hey John,

I wasn't aware that 23-terminals were on the chopping block. Are they all terminals or a combination of terminals and AC's? There must be a good reason Central is closing them. I wonder if they are consolidating some of them or just closing poorly-performing centers. One thing is for sure: getting a pink slip ain't fun.

In any event, my barn is growing and the equipment is slowly getting better. For example, our forklifts are in the process of being replaced. And the new dolphins are an improvement although I despise the keypad layout (I prefer the QWERTY keyboard version rather than the consecutive-letter keyboard version). And I have air conditioning in my tractor again.

There are times I still scratch my head and wonder why Central does things a certain way (goes against common sense), but I have to still say that positive changes are continuing to happen. It takes time--years--for positive lasting changes to occur. This company has so much potential--I'm hoping the new president can help the company--more importantly--the people in the company reach it.

perception is reality people.or is the truth.....if i perceive central is a bottom feeder who hands out crazy cheap pallet programs and damages the freight...and the service is terrible ( customer SERVICE and delivering) then this would be my reality.maybe true on the grandscale or not...now times that by many many people and is the Reality just the perception or is the reality the reality !!

CT has been burning up Nashville's craiglist with Drivers wanted ads.
I've not read very many posts of anything positive about CT. Is it really that bad?

CT has been burning up Nashville's craiglist with Drivers wanted ads.
I've not read very many posts of anything positive about CT. Is it really that bad?

Well, my best advice, is to drive past the terminal. If the trucks look OK, then maybe. But, if they look like junk, then chances are even the forklifts will be junk. In that case, keep on driving! I still talk to employees of the terminal I was in, and they have told me nothing has changed. In fact, except for the 4 'regular' employees (that are too afraid to quit), the place is like a 'revolving door', with people getting hired on, then either quitting, or getting fired. Then, more get hired, then quit or get fired, etc. They have told me that top pay is only $18 something an hour, so employees that were at the 'old pay scale', and that are over that, will NEVER get a raise, just stay where they are at.

But, then you get people like 'semidriven' who seem to think the company is great, and they're doing wonders at the terminal he's at. So, do some homework, and check out your local terminal. If they are 'burning up' craigslist, then I'm sure that there is a reason for that! (i.e. big turnover).

Good luck,
John

One word UNIONIZE!

Even though I'm not a big fan of the union, in Central's case, it needs to be done! Unfortunately, with a tight-ass with Matty Maroune, this will NEVER get done! When I was there, we had MANDATORY anti-union videos at least twice a week, and from what I was told, a few drivers were fired from the Hammond terminal for going to union meetings. Matty hates the union so much, that if a terminal voted them in, he would just close that terminal, and open another one! The only way to get Central union, is to go nationwide! Individual terminals will not survive the union transition. And even then, I wouldn't put it past Matty to just close CTII, and start up another company!

John

Even though I'm not a big fan of the union, in Central's case, it needs to be done! Unfortunately, with a tight-ass with Matty Maroune, this will NEVER get done! When I was there, we had MANDATORY anti-union videos at least twice a week, and from what I was told, a few drivers were fired from the Hammond terminal for going to union meetings. Matty hates the union so much, that if a terminal voted them in, he would just close that terminal, and open another one! The only way to get Central union, is to go nationwide! Individual terminals will not survive the union transition. And even then, I wouldn't put it past Matty to just close CTII, and start up another company!

John

I agree completely. I also am not a big fan of unions but the working conditions here are so bad it needs to be done. I think your right Matty would just close the doors, so I don't think it will ever happen.

I agree completely. I also am not a big fan of unions but the working conditions here are so bad it needs to be done. I think your right Matty would just close the doors, so I don't think it will ever happen.

He already got rid of the union once, by hiring owner/operators. Once he got over 50% O/O's, then he was able to get rid of the union, and hire them all back as company drivers. He was hiring them back right after I started, in '06. So, you know he'd do it again, if he had to!

I remember that. He sold old city equipment with a million miles or better on them to a bunch of driving school graduates. That did not work out so well for Central Transport for the long term. I believe that there are too many trucking companies out there to let just one treat you bad. If the job you have is not to your liking, get out before you wake up in 5 or 10 years and things are just as bad as when you started, or worse. Trucking companies come and go, But good Drivers are Hard to find!

Matty will close the door's if the union get's in. He'' just start another company, the man has no respect for his fellow man.

central used to be union,they shut down and let go all the union drivers years ago,and opened it up under central transport,also stay away from pro logistics they are on dots watch list at the scalehouse!!