XPO | Things are terrible at my barn.

If that is correct I was not aware of it...I always thought that everyone did very little work for boat loads of money before deregulation?....I did not start driving till late 84 so the damage was already done.
Pre deregulation, probably 60-70 of LTL companies were union and controlled close to 75 percent of the LTL freight. CF, Yellow, and Roadway controlled about 45 percent of that 75 percent, with each company handling roughly 80,000 shipments per day. Now, YRC handles about 40,000 per day, and FED EX Freight moves around 100,000.

If that is correct I was not aware of it...I always thought that everyone did very little work for boat loads of money before deregulation?....I did not start driving till late 84 so the damage was already done.
I started in 1975. Prior to deregulation being a sales rep. was one big party. All companies charged the same rates so it came down to who could give the best perks, lunches, dinners, golfing, weekend trips, liquor, etc. I worked for Thurston then ( non-union) and they charged the same rates as the union companies. We made good money but definitely not union scale. That meant Thurston was the big winner there.

I know that it can be hard for people when we slow down. Getting laid off SUCKS. Not working as much as you usually do SUCKS when you really need the money. That being said this is the time of year where I slow down. Start passing runs down to the junior drivers and taking some time off. Linehaul=lots of time away from home and this is the time of year where if I can get out of working for the night I do. Life is too short and this is the time of year to enjoy the hard won fruits of my labor.
Absolutely!

Pre deregulation, probably 60-70 of LTL companies were union and controlled close to 75 percent of the LTL freight. CF, Yellow, and Roadway controlled about 45 percent of that 75 percent, with each company handling roughly 80,000 shipments per day. Now, YRC handles about 40,000 per day, and FED EX Freight moves around 100,000.
You forgot about us regional guys. Then the number goes up. Oh what a genius zollars is.

You forgot about us regional guys. Then the number goes up. Oh what a genius zollars is.
Sad part is Zollars was just smart enough to walk away with 10 million at the end even though he had no business being a CEO... PS. I was counting the regionals...

Last edited:
This isn't the Union/non-Union debate thread. Nobody wants to hear it.

But don't give me that "I don't like Union guys" b.s either.

This isn't the Union/non-Union debate thread. Nobody wants to hear it.

But don't give me that "I don't like Union guys" b.s either.
No it isn't either,but remember the union guy just wants to make a living,we only want a small piece of the pie.The scraps are OK as long as its fair.One guy is not fair