R&L | Think about this....

bandit222

TB Lurker
Credits
Have any of you guys done some research into the Paramount address in Ft. Myers? It's in a plaza with doctors offices and resturants. Not an ideal place to run a trucking outfit out of. And of course it is leased from Roberts investments. I hope I'm wrong but the writing seems to be on the wall.

And for those of you that think Roberts is doing us all a favor by having contests and employee resorts, guess what its all a tax write off! So to only person that it is truly helping in the long run is him.

Have any of you guys done some research into the Paramount address in Ft. Myers? It's in a plaza with doctors offices and resturants. Not an ideal place to run a trucking outfit out of. And of course it is leased from Roberts investments. I hope I'm wrong but the writing seems to be on the wall.

And for those of you that think Roberts is doing us all a favor by having contests and employee resorts, guess what its all a tax write off! So to only person that it is truly helping in the long run is him.

Old news,everyone knows NOTHING is done outside the company circle.
Truck sales,trucks parts,equpment leasing,property leasing(all terminals),and the list goes on and on.

I've been doing this for almost 30 years, still waiting for someone to send me to a resort...nice perk, I wouldn't complain...and judging from those on these threads who have been, sounds like some pretty cool places..

You should apply then. Wasn't complaining, it is a perk but in the long run just is a benefit for Roberts. I've been around long enough to know that the company only looks out for themselves in the end.

You should apply then. Wasn't complaining, it is a perk but in the long run just is a benefit for Roberts. I've been around long enough to know that the company only looks out for themselves in the end.

It seems to me that if a driver and his/her family is sent to a resort then it benefits that driver and the family. Sure maybe it is a tax write off but my gosh be grateful for the little or big things in this case that a corporation does for its employees in this economy, instead of complaining that it is a tax write off.

So what is happening with R&L that has everyone so wound up? Something about lease drivers is what I've heard on the street, is that correct?

The resorts or hotel are great they can save you money but the comment was directed for those who think Roberts is so great and cares about everyone. I have used the resorts and are thankful to have them but they will probally end up being phased out. Remember in April when everyone use to get a raise? I am glad I had more than my 5 years in because I would not of wanted to been the guy with 3 years in who expected the raise and had gotten it every year and this year nothing. How about the team drivers that were told that they could either buy a truck to stay employed or move on? I'm sure their families are thankful for everything Roberts does.

And if they want to save money stop sending the DVD's out telling how to catch more freight. Isn't that what we have salespeople for or are they going to eliminate their jobs to? I know if I go in to my customers asking how and who they are shipping with most would probally tell me to mind my own business and be thankful for the freight I got. The new one about saving fuel is great maybe rather than passing stops 3 times in a day or having 4 trucks in the same park and 3 of them are 20 miles out of there area. I hope the routers and loaders got them thats where they should start. Or they could go for the big money saver (17 million) forget about the race car. But that goes back to the comment what's more important the company(Roberts) or the employees?

To answer your question about what has happened at R & L depends on who you talk to. They are hiring new drivers under a new company name for less money and lower standards.

I do want to say I am thankful to have a job for now. I am just sick of the little people getting taken advantage of by giants in any company. I look at it this way you will always have two types of employees those for the company and those against.

While I respect your opinion, I will ask it again....

Where were you in 1965 when it was one man trying to build a dream..?? It is HIS company, it was HIS risk and sweat that got it all started, it is HIS right to run HIS company as he sees fit...
I have never met any of them, and doubt I ever will, but I would ask you to switch places, and if it was you who did it all to get it going, How would you feel??

Sorry if I come off blunt, but some things I just see as kind of simple, I guess..

I agree everyone has their own opinion and like you I respect all of them. I just hope that if you work for HIS company that you feel the same way when YOU'RE standing in an unemployment line.

The resorts or hotel are great they can save you money but the comment was directed for those who think Roberts is so great and cares about everyone. I have used the resorts and are thankful to have them but they will probally end up being phased out. Remember in April when everyone use to get a raise? I am glad I had more than my 5 years in because I would not of wanted to been the guy with 3 years in who expected the raise and had gotten it every year and this year nothing. How about the team drivers that were told that they could either buy a truck to stay employed or move on? I'm sure their families are thankful for everything Roberts does.

And if they want to save money stop sending the DVD's out telling how to catch more freight. Isn't that what we have salespeople for or are they going to eliminate their jobs to? I know if I go in to my customers asking how and who they are shipping with most would probally tell me to mind my own business and be thankful for the freight I got. The new one about saving fuel is great maybe rather than passing stops 3 times in a day or having 4 trucks in the same park and 3 of them are 20 miles out of there area. I hope the routers and loaders got them thats where they should start. Or they could go for the big money saver (17 million) forget about the race car. But that goes back to the comment what's more important the company(Roberts) or the employees?

To answer your question about what has happened at R & L depends on who you talk to. They are hiring new drivers under a new company name for less money and lower standards.

I do want to say I am thankful to have a job for now. I am just sick of the little people getting taken advantage of by giants in any company. I look at it this way you will always have two types of employees those for the company and those against.

I guess I understand a little better now that you explained yourself more. I can agree with some of the points that you made a disagree with a few of the others but hey, that's what this here message board is all about anyway, ehh!

There are better ways to manage certain aspects in any company. I am sure that you all have some terminals out there where the TM does not care and his poor management of a route costs the company money and causes the drivers some frustrations. I am not a part of your organization so I cannot speak about the raises you all received or used to receive.

All I can say is that we are all living in a much tougher economy than we were just 4 years ago due to the ridiculous over investing in the futures market just so the rich can get richer off of all of us. I say that to say this, you are right to be thankful that you have a decent job because there are many on the unemployment line that do not.

The parts that I disagree with though are the fact that you said that a customer will not give you information about other carriers. First of all if you just make a few simple observations when you enter a facility it is not very difficult to see who is picking up and delivering at that customer. Secondly, if you show yourself freindly and put a smile on your face everyday (even when you do not feel like it) when you see the customer it is going to allow you to build a better relationship with them which will make it much easier for you to obtain any information that you care to know and then some you probably do not want to know...Ha Ha!

Thirdly, the NASCAR that you guys sponsor may or may not be a good financial decision but the fact of the matter is that a contract was signed and they cannot pull out of sponsorship in the middle of the season without a financial penalty based upon the contract. So your owner may feel that it is more beneficial to remain there then to pony up a large amount of liquid assets to buyout of the deal.

The last thing that I will say is a question, When the company was giving you a good bonus or raise whatever you were getting. Did you go out and improve your production and help maintain relationships with the customers picking up extra freight left behind, or did you just continue doing the same thing that you did the previous year. I ask that because sometimes we get in a mindset as humans that we deserve more money yet we have not produced any greater over time than we were in the previous year. Like the guy that posted before me here. Put yourself in the shoes of the owner of a mega company and ask yourself if he had a camera hidden everyday watching you work would he continue to give you a raise?

I am not on the side of ownership or the employee, just playing devils advocate here. I have been in a business ownership environment in the past and I have worked for corps so I tend to understand both sides and think that there is give and take in both views.

Good Luck to you and your co-workers

Bandit, I am not planning to work for his company, and I don't think you should plan on standing in an unemployment line either...R&L is extremely healthy, and there is no reason to think they will not continue to be...It sounds like you are like every hard working guy out there...You just want to know that there is a future for you, and I don't think you have anything to worry about...A guy with your committment to family and profession will have no problem finding good work elsewhere, if you choose to do so. I wish you good luck..

willgolf4food I half to say you are very fair with your response and I appreciate that. Being you don't work for the company I feel your opinion is fair. I agree every terminal is different. I would say my work ethic has not changed regardless raise or not I was raised to take pride in my work and I will no matter what I wish I could say that for the younger generation. I know alot of my pick ups do use teamsters companys as a main carrier probally due to union issues and we seem to haul about anything. I have delivered to a yellow terminal just because it was going to a union shop and it had to be delivered by a union carrier. I know I am sticking with this in hopes that all holds up for a few years till I can retire. I have worked for teamster companys that have gone out of business and know the drill quite well to me the writing on the wall is not good. For now I'll just keep my fingers crossed.:1036316054:

I wish somebody would take a picture of the wall there looking at because so for the writing on the wall that I and a few others have been looking at says nothing about R&L is pushing top drivers out the door for lower ones, nor have I seen anywhere that R&L is going under, all this stuff is just getting crazy, people trying to start something thats just not there.:chairshot:

Well baby huey I hope that all this is just to better the company and not writing on the wall.But still we all need to wait and see what is to come with all these changes.And if we all are to benifit from it and not lose from it.We all have familys to support and what not.

i agree with boxboss....

i will say this that in my opinion i see more communiction from ownership to employees than any other company i have worked for. i may not agree with everything they say, however it seems they go out of there way to keep us informed. in talking to other drivers on the street from other companies they never hear anything from mgmt until after the fact. all this uproar about r+l drivers loosing their jobs, drivers being pushed out, etc i have not heard of instance where this has happened. i think we all need to relax and do whats expected of us as drivers. its like the weather, we can not control it, only adapt to it. i feel comfortable with the direction the company is going in order to stay competitive in the industry. i also feel that we as drivers have a commitment to go above and beyond whats expected to help keep this company going! as far as tax write-offs for the resorts, who cares!!! take advantage of the privelage. enjoy the fact the family is able to provide this for us. this is unheard of in todays work force!

I believe they look out for their employee's also... They don't have to provide us with these resorts.. I believe that by being "GENEROUS" they are sharing what they have, and in the end, get a better employee, with a better attitude, thus, they get a better, more profitable company... The Roberts are smart, and they are agood family to work for. Ok I know I'm to some, I'm a :butt kiss:, so whatever, but I know a decent place to work, I have worked at a lot of places where they really didn't give a damn about their employee's..If the Roberts were only looking out for themselves, they could take all the money they spend on the resorts, and put that money in their pockets...:1036316054:

Resorts

I for one think the resorts are a great idea. Without these my family would probably not have taken vacations to these areas because of expenses. I certainly have a better attitude when returning to work.

There will always be the guy who wins the lotto and gripes that they took a third in taxes...WW1, you hit it exactly...the funny thing about the guy who will never be happy is that he is the one who squawks the loudest, and makes it appear as if he is representing the world, when in fact he is representing himself and a couple others he gets to listen to him in the breakroom...we all got 'em...most ignore 'em...and that pisses 'em off...

Boxboss you have alot of opinions for someone who doesn't work for the company. I know you have been around in the business for quite a while but so have I. I know for a fact that 2 terminals have already taken long time bid city drivers and told them the bid was no longer theirs saying they wern't getting the job done. When asked to prove where R & L thought the job was not getting done they brought up one day. We all have those days. Amazingly those jobs are not going to be rebid. Who do you think they are going to go to? I'll let the drivers and their families know that an outside R & L guy thinks some of us will never be happy. I think they have a reason to be unhappy.

willgolf4food I half to say you are very fair with your response and I appreciate that. Being you don't work for the company I feel your opinion is fair. I agree every terminal is different. I would say my work ethic has not changed regardless raise or not I was raised to take pride in my work and I will no matter what I wish I could say that for the younger generation. I know alot of my pick ups do use teamsters companys as a main carrier probally due to union issues and we seem to haul about anything. I have delivered to a yellow terminal just because it was going to a union shop and it had to be delivered by a union carrier. I know I am sticking with this in hopes that all holds up for a few years till I can retire. I have worked for teamster companys that have gone out of business and know the drill quite well to me the writing on the wall is not good. For now I'll just keep my fingers crossed.:1036316054:

Thanks Bandit!! Good luck to you and all of your fellow drivers. I pray for everyone's sake that a non-union carrier like R&L does not go under. Don't worry about what others may say to you, I think we all question stability of our employers and our position especially when we get a little older. :dance: