FedEx Freight | Think before picking that cell phone up

BumpDraft

TB Lurker
Credits
A good friend of mine was wrote up for picking up his cell phone while driving. It was caught on camera. He was called in the office to watch video and they showed him where the camera picked up his reflection in the windshield. True story. No B.S..

What's an iota? do you need more than one?

i·o·ta
īˈōdə/
noun
  1. 1.
    the ninth letter of the Greek alphabet ( Ι, ι ), transliterated as ‘i.’.
  2. 2.
    an extremely small amount.
    "nothing she said seemed to make an iota of difference"
    synonyms: bit, speck, mite, scrap, shred, ounce,scintilla, atom, jot, grain, whit, trace

What's an iota? do you need more than one?

The word is used in a common English phrase, 'not one iota', meaning 'not the slightest amount', in reference to a phrase in the New Testament (Matthew 5:18): "until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, (King James Version: '[not] one jot orone tittle') will pass from the Law until all is accomplished."

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/iota

A good friend of mine was wrote up for picking up his cell phone while driving. It was caught on camera. He was called in the office to watch video and they showed him where the camera picked up his reflection in the windshield. True story. No B.S..
Did he actually answer/use his phone, or merely pick it up to move it? I'm not passing judgement here, but any commercial driver that doesn't own and use a Bluetooth by now has no excuse. On the other hand, it's pretty sad when management feels they need to monitor reflections off of windshields.

Did he actually answer/use his phone, or merely pick it up to move it? I'm not passing judgement here, but any commercial driver that doesn't own and use a Bluetooth by now has no excuse. On the other hand, it's pretty sad when management feels they need to monitor reflections off of windshields.
Is daughter works midnight also and she him a text
It was a text and he picked up the phone to see who it was then put it down.

Was this a FedEx Freight driver? And if it was, what activated the camera to catch the cell phone reflection?

So to me it sounds like your friend was using the phone while an event was happening whether it was a false positive or actual event. In this case the company would have been notified because of the event triggers. I highly doubt that FEDEX has someone watching non event video. IMO

Is daughter works midnight also and she him a text

It was a text and he picked up the phone to see who it was then put it down.
This is nit-picking, pure and simple. My phone sits on the dash most of my day. Do I look at it on occasion? You betcha! I've had it shutdown inadvertently, but that's rare, so I'll look at it and make sure it's on. Texting while driving is almost indefensible, but just picking it up and looking at it...again, nit-picking.

So my question again is what triggered the event to send the footage to be reviewed that also caught the reflection?

Well the answer is simple it doesn't have to be triggered for them to watch footage. They can view any drivers camera footage anytime.
So my question again is what triggered the event to send the footage to be reviewed that also caught the reflection?
I don't know bud that's just what I was told at a road driver meeting by driver and road manager.

So to me it sounds like your friend was using the phone while an event was happening whether it was a false positive or actual event. In this case the company would have been notified because of the event triggers. I highly doubt that FEDEX has someone watching non event video. IMO
Really ?

I agree, do you guys not realize how much footage they would "have to watch" if the cameras recorded all the time?? Do you guys not realize how many drivers we have nationwide and how many hours a day these drivers drive?? It's impossible for them to watch footage from every driver, every day, all day...impossible!!

I agree, do you guys not realize how much footage they would "have to watch" if the cameras recorded all the time?? Do you guys not realize how many drivers we have nationwide and how many hours a day these drivers drive?? It's impossible for them to watch footage from every driver, every day, all day...impossible!!

They don't have to watch every video from every truck or from every 10 hour shift. The fact is not everyone adheres to the no phone policy or the no eating/smoking policy and that its simply the law of averages. I bet they can watch 1 ten minute clip from 10 drivers and one of them is doing something that's prohibited within that 10 minute time frame. I will say however that not EVERYONE will be called on their transgression.

Last edited: