FedEx Freight | Think before picking that cell phone up

Perhaps it may be prudent to make a cover to fit tightly around the outside frame of the camera to prevent errant reflections from being recorded.

This isn't an untrue statement. I had my Windshield busted by a passing truck, safety called me and asked what time it happened, I told him, and the next morning I get a call from my RDA and he wanted to talk. Pulled out his laptop and showed me video from where I had picked up my phone and was scrolling thru my contacts to call Central, showed it sitting in my lap, and showed it again when I ended the call and moved it to the dash.

This isn't an untrue statement. I had my Windshield busted by a passing truck, safety called me and asked what time it happened, I told him, and the next morning I get a call from my RDA and he wanted to talk. Pulled out his laptop and showed me video from where I had picked up my phone and was scrolling thru my contacts to call Central, showed it sitting in my lap, and showed it again when I ended the call and moved it to the dash.

Well, guess that sums up this thread in a nutshell.

Were you still driving? Or parked trying to get help? If parked, are you saying it is a violation of company policy to use a cell phone inside the cab of the truck? von.

Von,

What I'm trying to say is that the camera sits far enough back to get the glare off the windshield if the phone is in your hand or lap and is lit up. The camera is on constant record and an event doesn't have to be triggered for them to watch it.

Von,

What I'm trying to say is that the camera sits far enough back to get the glare off the windshield if the phone is in your hand or lap and is lit up. The camera is on constant record and an event doesn't have to be triggered for them to watch it.
That sucks. My last working day before I retired was 7-15-2015. Later that year they started to put in the on board recorders. Guess I was lucky to get out when I did.

Cameras facing the driver & recording constantly, gone from 3 days to 3 weeks, pass a drug screen to apply for a job & then random drug screens the rest of your trucking life, sacb or dirt poor wages the first 3 to 5 years in the business, over the road expense of $150 a week, no social life, sleeping in a 7x5x5 box on a paper thin mattress, license fees, truck driving school cost, 14 hour mandatory work days, and all the rest I left out. Now find me a 22 or 24 year old person who will go to the trouble to qualify, and then work under those conditions for the next 40 years. Ever see those brand new trucks sitting @ a trucking company parked for a long time with no drivers to fill the seats? As Mr Jeff Fox Worthy says, 'Here's your sign'. von.

This is true. A road driver out of EBO was investigated for the reflection of a device. It was caught by safety while reviewing an event that was recorded. He ended up being terminated for "lying" during the investigation.

This is true. A road driver out of EBO was investigated for the reflection of a device. It was caught by safety while reviewing an event that was recorded. He ended up being terminated for "lying" during the investigation.

Well, ya can't really blame the company for this one. If your gonna play with fire, ya better expect to be burned. This thread has been an eye opener for sure and appreciate the OP for starting this thread

I guess they had him either way...

I guess they had him either way...
Perhaps, but the consequences are different. Had he told the truth, he would've probably gotten a corrective action...a coaching session or even a write up...but lying will get you terminated every time.

This goes back to the ole saying, the company doesn't fire anybody, people fire themselves.

Perhaps, but the consequences are different. Had he told the truth, he would've probably gotten a corrective action...a coaching session or even a write up...but lying will get you terminated every time.

This goes back to the ole saying, the company doesn't fire anybody, people fire themselves.

yea, good point.

Well, ya can't really blame the company for this one. If your gonna play with fire, ya better expect to be burned. This thread has been an eye opener for sure and appreciate the OP for starting this thread
Just look at the truck accident threads on TB, and after reading the article on each crash, you can pretty well see, a lot of these are caused by doing something else while driving...

Check me off as one that got written up for my handsome reflection. New truck with the "ghost braking" issues. No one around me when it happened. Just a big old highway sign overhead. Manager got the email and he couldn't see what the problem was until he called and had it explained to him. There's one hell of a crystal clear reflection on the windshield of whatever is going on in the cab. I admitted my wrong doing and let it go without viewing the video. I've been here since the beginning and this company has got me frustrated beyond words. I'm almost certain the videos are being monitored by a third party. When notified management claims they are "required" to do corrective action.

i swore off this forum long ago, but you certainly got me fired up when I JUST HAD to see what's going on...lol