Thinking about a change.

grocerythrower

TB Legend
Credits
I love Sysco and all but there is a company, that is making big strides in this market and they are hiring, I'm active in the union and I love my company, but my mind is torn.

I am seriously thinking about applying to this company, my loyalty to my union and my co-workers is paramount regarding me making a decision.

Any input from you guys that I respect and admire? This is a non-union company, about 80 yrs old and they are taking our customers.

I hear you brother.

There's too many unnecessary hours spent doing too much unnecessary work imo.

We still have our pension here, that's the only real reason I stay. I don't think I have 20 years left to give another company. If they somehow manage to take that pension, I'd seriously consider going to another company that wouldn't squander so much of my time and energy.

It's all about the competition, the dollar, being on top, doing more with less. If I changed jobs to a company that was more people oriented and relaxed, who's to say they wouldn't also change for the worse, by necessity in a year or to, just to survive, or even worse, be bought out by Sysco.

Besides that, I loathe looking for work and filling out applications, but on the up side, I have survived at Sysco for 7 years, so I could probably get a job anywhere.

Oh wait minute, dang...

Any input from you guys that I respect and admire?.

Do I qualify to answer? ;)

You're union, working in a house that still has a pension which counts for a lot. I don't think I could recommend anyone leaving a job with a pension, being on the hook for my own retirement honestly scares me even though my wife and I save as much as we can. They may bend, twist, and push the limits but they can't just up and change the rules mid-game per your contract. The other place may be a great one to work at and treat their people like human beings NOW, but what if there's a leadership change? What if they sell or the owner's idiot nephew takes over? Genghis Khan united the Mongol tribes and conquered a good chunk of the known world. Where are they now? His offspring didn't have his drive or ambition. They weren't warriors, they were basically spoiled soft trust fund babies and the place eventually went to hell once the old man died. You also have to consider where you're currently at on the seniority list and what it'll mean to be the new guy, along with how much vacation time you currently get, how much (if any) you'll give up and how long it'll take you to earn it back.
That said, it can't hurt to talk to them. If it's the company I suspect it is (starts with a "B"?) I've heard good things about them. I used to run into a couple of their drivers running layover routes up here and both really liked their jobs.
Of course, this is all coming from a guy who flipped through the want ads immediately after making my son scrambled eggs this morning.

GT you should call me one lf these days. Which company is it? Also you gotta do whats best for you brother. I agree with Lazlo but you just never know. I am also making a change and I believe its whats best for me and my son. Yeah I'm back to nights but its better money then I'm making now and easier work. Around here seems the union jobs dont mean nothing. No one has a pension anymore.

GT like they said it wouldn't hurt to talk to them. What does your better half think? Better halves have "inside knowledge" that no one else has.

PO

Do I qualify to answer? ;)
You qualify more than you know Brother, thank you very much!

You're union, working in a house that still has a pension which counts for a lot. I don't think I could recommend anyone leaving a job with a pension, being on the hook for my own retirement honestly scares me even though my wife and I save as much as we can. They may bend, twist, and push the limits but they can't just up and change the rules mid-game per your contract. The other place may be a great one to work at and treat their people like human beings NOW, but what if there's a leadership change? What if they sell or the owner's idiot nephew takes over? Genghis Khan united the Mongol tribes and conquered a good chunk of the known world. Where are they now? His offspring didn't have his drive or ambition. They weren't warriors, they were basically spoiled soft trust fund babies and the place eventually went to hell once the old man died. You also have to consider where you're currently at on the seniority list and what it'll mean to be the new guy, along with how much vacation time you currently get, how much (if any) you'll give up and how long it'll take you to earn it back.
That said, it can't hurt to talk to them. If it's the company I suspect it is (starts with a "B"?) I've heard good things about them. I used to run into a couple of their drivers running layover routes up here and both really liked their jobs.
Of course, this is all coming from a guy who flipped through the want ads immediately after making my son scrambled eggs this morning.
Company starts with an S and thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it!

GT you should call me one lf these days. Which company is it? Also you gotta do whats best for you brother. I agree with Lazlo but you just never know. I am also making a change and I believe its whats best for me and my son. Yeah I'm back to nights but its better money then I'm making now and easier work. Around here seems the union jobs dont mean nothing. No one has a pension anymore.
When do you make the move? Let me know your times, it would be nice to talk to you when I'm actually awake and alert..LOL!

GT like they said it wouldn't hurt to talk to them. What does your better half think? Better halves have "inside knowledge" that no one else has.

PO
Thanks PO, my wife supports anything I want to do, she has always been that way, all she wants is for me to be happy, come to think about it thats all I really want, thanks Brother!

Today I was driving the beer truck down to Seville, Ohio from our main terminal and I heard an ad on the radio for Sysco Cleveland they are hiring and you can work there :), Also Mains here in Cleveland has also had ads on the radio for CDL A drivers. I don't know what's going on Sysco Cleveland and Mains both have had ads on the radio for drivers. Even the beer distributor I work for there real short for drivers if you want I can refer you ;) and you can work there with me ha-ha. I think this next week is probably going to be my last week working with someone, there's a few things they want to show me at the main warehouse and then I think there going to put me on the extra board and send me on my own.

Today I was driving the beer truck down to Seville, Ohio from our main terminal and I heard an ad on the radio for Sysco Cleveland they are hiring and you can work there :), Also Mains here in Cleveland has also had ads on the radio for CDL A drivers. I don't know what's going on Sysco Cleveland and Mains both have had ads on the radio for drivers. Even the beer distributor I work for there real short for drivers if you want I can refer you ;) and you can work there with me ha-ha. I think this next week is probably going to be my last week working with someone, there's a few things they want to show me at the main warehouse and then I think there going to put me on the extra board and send me on my own.

Trying to get a Texas girl to move to yankee land? I would have better luck whoopin the biggest guy in the bar.

I'm going to stay where I'm at for now and give it another chance.

Take care of yourself GT. Dont want to see you get hurt bro

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thank you for that, I don't want that either, thats why I am going to chose carefully when I bid, I have no interest in bidding a megga route, I'm no superstar, we already have enough of those to go around so I'm good with a nice pleasant route where I can get some hours, not looking to get rich, like I could ever at my opco..lol, just want to see some customers and daylight.

I have been in on the "Ground Floor" of many new companies, like the AIT Logistics warehouse that has been sitting empty since about 1998. A lot of promises were made and a lot of stupid decisions right along with them. Much of my career has been devoted to helping to build some company or terminal and now at the age of 58 I find myself in a position of never being able to afford to retire. All because I trusted others who sold a good story.

How many Farm Fresh trucks do you see in Oklahoma? None. But I was a part of that company at one time. The Tandy Transportation Terminal is gone. The AST computer factory on Western Center is out of business along with the Western Corporation that the road "Western Center" was named after. My problem is I put off worrying about myself for too long and dedicated myself to making the endeavors of other people happen. It is hard to know what to do. If I could turn back time, I would go back to the moment that I quit Dolese Brothers in Cooperton Oklahoma and when the phone call came I would turn down the offer to go play guitar with a band in Texas. My life would have been dull but me and my family would have been far better off if I had said no. I would have had my 30 years in and been retired by now and my biggest worry would be where to fish tomorrow.

They all sound good going in and they have to or those who need others to build their companies would have to build them themselves if they can't talk others into building it for them. I think of this every time I pass the building that used to be Interstate Driver Training truck driving school in Weatherford Texas, it is now a Pentecostal Church. I am a Teamster but I know that it is not the only way. But I have seen a strong Union Member go into a management position they were doomed to fail at and that is how the company got rid of the thorn in their flesh.

It is hard to advise with no details.

Got my bid, not the one I wanted but I got my second choice, its a little tougher, but 2 out of the 4 days I have had before, so I'm excited to start seeing those customers again, and excited to make new friends on the other 2 days I know some of those customers but not all of them, I'm looking forward to it, not looking forward to the pain of getting in shape, but it will happen!

Autocar, everytime I see a Quickway truck and I see them often, I think of you, I'm in the same boat as far as retirement, I'll probably work till I die, bad decisions, bad marriages? Lazy in planning for retirement? Yes to all of the above.

Got my bid, not the one I wanted but I got my second choice, its a little tougher, but 2 out of the 4 days I have had before, so I'm excited to start seeing those customers again, and excited to make new friends on the other 2 days I know some of those customers but not all of them, I'm looking forward to it, not looking forward to the pain of getting in shape, but it will happen!

Autocar, everytime I see a Quickway truck and I see them often, I think of you, I'm in the same boat as far as retirement, I'll probably work till I die, bad decisions, bad marriages? Lazy in planning for retirement? Yes to all of the above.

Well, I guess I need to update you. I have been working for Associated Wholesale Grocers...The milk hauling finally got to my knees! All those years finally caught up with me.

I kinda go through cycles myself. We rebid and like you I didn't get the bid I wanted but got a later start. Thought it was going to play havoc on my income. Well, I will be dipped if I'm not doing better with less hours! My biggest concern is this merger later in the year with Albertsons and Safeway. I am pretty well thought of at the stores and I am just too old to keep changing employers. So if all the distribution goes to the Tom Thumb warehouse in Alliance Texas? I guess I will have no choice but to drive for them. I like AWG but what can a person do? Unless Cerberus buys the Albertsons Warehouse back.....

supermarketnews.com

That is the website I am watching, hoping for the best.

Well, I guess I need to update you. I have been working for Associated Wholesale Grocers...The milk hauling finally got to my knees! All those years finally caught up with me.

I kinda go through cycles myself. We rebid and like you I didn't get the bid I wanted but got a later start. Thought it was going to play havoc on my income. Well, I will be dipped if I'm not doing better with less hours! My biggest concern is this merger later in the year with Albertsons and Safeway. I am pretty well thought of at the stores and I am just too old to keep changing employers. So if all the distribution goes to the Tom Thumb warehouse in Alliance Texas? I guess I will have no choice but to drive for them. I like AWG but what can a person do? Unless Cerberus buys the Albertsons Warehouse back.....

supermarketnews.com

That is the website I am watching, hoping for the best.

I hope the best for you Brother! I would be proud to work beside you!

I'm fortunate to have a great union steward that is teaching me alot. However, Sysco is getting on my last nerve, yep, the very last one.

GT I thought sysco was on your last nerve along time ago? What you going to do if you give up?

Lol shes probably thinking dhe ran out of luck. Poor girl. Oh RR wants us to go to Pittsburgh to see a steelers game. He said we can stay at his house for free

I love Sysco and all but there is a company, that is making big strides in this market and they are hiring, I'm active in the union and I love my company, but my mind is torn.

I am seriously thinking about applying to this company, my loyalty to my union and my co-workers is paramount regarding me making a decision.

Any input from you guys that I respect and admire? This is a non-union company, about 80 yrs old and they are taking our customers.

Grocery Thrower I'm not sure exactly where you live, it seems like I remember you saying your in Ok, but if you are near a Jack Cooper Terminal, we are hiring at most locations. If your able to sling groceries you would be a shoe in hauling cars. We have many former food service guys and one of my best friends is a former Sysco driver who loves hauling cars now. I'm not sure if we have a terminal in Ok, but you might call the terminals in Kansas City or Arlington Tx and see if a new driver could get loads going to or thru the house, where you live. It's the closest thing to being an Owner operator without having to own a truck or buy the fuel. Talk to your Local, for the nearest terminal and what could work for you.