Thinking about crossing the line

I think each side needs to do what's right for them.However there should be a
line you don't cross(no pun intended).Fear and intimidation are a no-no.Remember
if you do win ,mgmt. will remember who the "bad apples" were.Also the customers are not going to want these bad apples in and out of their places of business.
When UPS came back from strike they laid off a bunch so when and if it's over.
Unfortunately at this point it will be a net loss.
As for me I would do what's necessary for my family even if it meant losing my
"chance" with the union

When will people understand this does not work when people cross the line. "I would do it for my family" well you can justify most anything with that line "I would kill a bus full of schoolchildren for my family" "I would rob a bank" "I would drive off a cliff" ect.

It's more about what sort of sacrifice you are wiling to make. Maybe sell that new car, possibly rent out a room, move in with family, drive long haul for a few months, there are options.

Unfortunately you are a lazy wanna-be line crosser, so betraying an effort that exists solely to improve your life would make perfect sense. Allot of people have sacrificed, its disappointing to think, in America, with these great rights we have all been afforded to protect us from exactly the kind of injustices Oak Harbor employees have endured that you would simply shrug them off and become a strikebreaker.

This country would not exist if it were full of people like you and that is my only solace when I read posts like yours.

A truck driver can always get a job. It may not be what you want to do but if the argument is I'm doing it for my family there are ways without crossing a picket line. And what are you doing for your family by working for a company with a frozen pension, substandard health care, no sick leave, no senority, no overtime pay for working the Gap on the weekends? All you are doing is telling the VP's that their school yard bully tactics worked. What kind of future for your family is that? You could be sitting at home while a junior driver is working because he remembered to tuck in his shirt.

There are always... ALWAYS... options before crossing a picket line.

It simply boils down to are you willing to go out and sweat a little to find something else, or are you going to take what on the surface seems like the easy route? It isn't that easy, and we've had at least one guy who crossed who found out what life on the other side is all about.

He did not like it one little bit. he told me he simply won't live life that way; ashamed to wear an Oak Harbor uniform, always ducking his head when the picketers show up. He said there is no pride in wearing that uniform anymore, and he is right.

Pride is what WE bring to the job, and when you sell out your brothers and sisters... you have no pride anymore. Maybe a little bit of false bravado and certainly quite a bit of self-justification, but no pride.

What we do when we draw a line in the sand like we have done with this employer is in the same spirit that led our Founding Fathers to revolt against the tyranny of England. It is the same spririt that caused us to declare slavery as an injustice, and fight a civil war to end it. It is the same spirit that caused us to take up arms in two world wars to defend against oppression, cruelty, and injustice.

I am proud to fight and to stand up. I am proud to take a stand, in an age where very few EVER take a stand. I am proud to be a Teamster, and nothing anyone says can ever, EVER, take that away from me...

Thx Shifter for clearing that one up for me, I guess I had a brain fart ha no kidding how is a piece of metal affected by pepper spray. Sorry I was just thinking oh no one of ours was arrested. And I didn't have to question the statement of how few strikers were on the line because of them out doing ambulatory striking. Keep getting the word out to the customers and following the trucks that is key!

Just an FYI from the wife of an OHFL employee on strike, he's been on the line for the duration. He will not cross, I wouldn't ask him too, for those of you who need to feed their families at any cost, there are jobs out there. it sucks because most of them are OTR, but it is a living, and we can only hope that soon the strike will be over, and we can return to our normal lives, but it will be thanks to the diligence of all of you who are standing strong. Not for those of you who are out there thinking that you will take the job of one of the "losers" on the line. They are fighting for what they believe in, and trying to make things good for all concerned. Don't be so judgemental. If the lines are getting light, its because these men need to support their families at any cost, which means being away from home, not crossing lines for a cause that is worth while.

Just an FYI from the wife of an OHFL employee on strike, he's been on the line for the duration. He will not cross, I wouldn't ask him too, for those of you who need to feed their families at any cost, there are jobs out there. it sucks because most of them are OTR, but it is a living, and we can only hope that soon the strike will be over, and we can return to our normal lives, but it will be thanks to the diligence of all of you who are standing strong. Not for those of you who are out there thinking that you will take the job of one of the "losers" on the line. They are fighting for what they believe in, and trying to make things good for all concerned. Don't be so judgemental. If the lines are getting light, its because these men need to support their families at any cost, which means being away from home, not crossing lines for a cause that is worth while.

Kudos. I for one am just like you. We will support these guys/gals as long as it takes. They haven't worked at ohfl all these long hours for many years to give everything back. STAND STRONG AND EVERYONE DIG IN!

teamster in wa,
I understand that they followed the truck and sprayed it at an intersection. Apparently security was watching too and have video for that the cops. I know some Portland police officers and they are getting tired of the calls to OHFL.

To strike is one thing.I SUPPORT that
But intimidation and violence I don't.I not only hope "those"are
arrested,but I hope they are outright fired for picking up a criminal case

teamster in wa,
I understand that they followed the truck and sprayed it at an intersection. Apparently security was watching too and have video for that the cops. I know some Portland police officers and they are getting tired of the calls to OHFL.
Would that be the calls that we we blocking the street? False. Or the call that we were "living" in the shelter? False. Or maybe the call to the fire department that we were burning tires, that they responded to with lights and sirens going? False. Or the call that we we directing traffic? False. (there is nothing that prohibits one from waving a flashlight on the sidewalk.) Funny that you don't mention the time that the police read some jackass dressed in black with a shirt that said "SECURITY" in big white letters the riot act about calling them for no good reason.

Maybe you need to tell your friends on the Portland police to tell management to quit calling them every time a picketer farts. That would fall under DEQ's responsibility.:biglaugh: We have been treated fairly by the cops with a strict warning that if we did get out of line the excrement would hit the fan. Or how about the one saying that he would rather be dealing with us rather than some amped up drug addict that is ready to shoot at him.

PS: Ed, the wooden shoes have dry rot.

What exactly is the security for that follow the trucks? Pepper Spray is a weapon in most states and is not taken lightly. So if this were indeed the case, the police would have already picked up the persons who have supposedly sprayed a truck. You guys missing anyone there in Portland??

What exactly is the security for that follow the trucks? Pepper Spray is a weapon in most states and is not taken lightly. So if this were indeed the case, the police would have already picked up the persons who have supposedly sprayed a truck. You guys missing anyone there in Portland??

Not missing anyone that matters. We are all
accounted for and standing strong.

Watch out for the injunction

Looks like they got us with the injunction. Now we can't do anything.

Let's show em whos the real boss. Our teamster leaders will show the VPs who the real boss is. Let's wait em out Brothers!!!

They are going broke. No bills at all last night in Auburn!

You can't let the TRO get you down. It doesn't mean anything in the big picture as long as everyone follows what is outlined in it. Everything that went on over the last week was a desperate attempt by the VP's to bring you down. DON'T LET THEM WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's show em whos the real boss. Our teamster leaders will show the VPs who the real boss is. Let's wait em out Brothers!!!

The problem now is if and when you win
ALL the work is gone it would be years
to get it back

The problem now is if and when you win
ALL the work is gone it would be years
to get it back

My best work years at Oak Harbor involved being part of the business growing over the past decade. Now, we might get to experience it again!

It might be tough for the guys at the bottom, at first, but when customers get the word that their regular driver is back on the route, they'll be back. Years? I've got plenty before I can retire.

well what does the injuction stop you from doing?

You can't let the TRO get you down. It doesn't mean anything in the big picture as long as everyone follows what is outlined in it. Everything that went on over the last week was a desperate attempt by the VP's to bring you down. DON'T LET THEM WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Brother!

On another note, I suggest we be as annoying as possible. I heard some bird noises yesterday...that's awesome! Oh, and chants would cool also!

Well said Brother!

On another note, I suggest we be as annoying as possible. I heard some bird noises yesterday...that's awesome! Oh, and chants would cool also!

speaking of birds. we had a national geographic moment on the portland lines. We have a large flock of geese that hang out. Well today the geese where out and a bald eagle came out of no where and singled out a goose and they flew over the ohfl terminal and we lost sight of them. This must be a sign. All of us teamsters are the eagle and ohfl is the goose. We will stay on them like stink on Sheet.

I hope that eagle don't catch sight of Fred leaving work.

We all know what an eagle can do to a chicken... LOL!

This is very sad.

Once again the teamsters blunder with workers jobs. A la Red Star, Howard's and many others.

I will never forget the day I passed by the picket line at Howards Express and heard the blaring statements of the union boss's yelling that they " would remain at the picket line as long as it took to save these jobs"

That didn't last long, the union boss's went on with their lives and Howard's is in business without the teamsters.

Another teamster failed experiment.