Thinking about making a move

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by Stinkeye, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Stinkeye

Stinkeye Getting my sheep on

I'm currently working for an LTL carrier as big as OD with 16 years in with 25 years driving experience and 2.5 million miles of safe driving. Looking to make a change for a company with better benefits and retirement. Someone please tell me would they offer me a better start pay package for experience? Or would I be stupid to make the change with 23 more years to go before retiring. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Looking at the west side of Atlanta at the Fulton industrial location.

2. BillyLo

BillyLo Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion

Go from working everyday to sitting by the phone? Don't make a bad decision. Our bennies and retirement are just as bad as everyone else, nothing special at all.

Dick Dastardly and seabreeze like this.
  3. kenneth

kenneth Well-Known Member

Stay where you are at.Grass is no greener across the street.With that many year's you need to stay.We have no retirement except our 401k.

4. haulbytruck

haulbytruck Member

The most you can start out as a new driver is the 1 year rate. With your experience, likely that is what you would get. The 1 yr linehaul rate is .6068. P&D 1 year is $25 an hour or so, I think. Least that is close. I don't do p&d... Typically a raise is given the first of September so these rates should go up soon. You didn't say what you made so you do the comparison. Insurance for us the employee costs very little. Less than 10 bucks even for the premium plan. Family coverage depending on what plan you take is $50 to $60 ish a week... While no retirement plan per se, the 401k is lucrative. Average return over the past few years has been in the 70 80% range. 30% of the first 6% is guaranteed. Discretionary match is typically more than the guaranteed thus the 70 to 80% return... The more money the company makes the more that is shared in the 401. We have drivers that heavily invested in OD stock over the years that are retiring very very well off....

kenneth likes this.
  5. kenneth

kenneth Well-Known Member

Most loss there ..s when the Market crashed several years ago.They still working today because of it.

6. Stinkeye

I'm currently at Estes making.6325 with 401k. Just testing the waters before I meet with the terminal manager July 5th.

7. hotrodd

hotrodd Active Member

Is Estes the most unorganized place you've ever worked for or is it just me?

Stinkeye and kenneth like this.
  8. NiteVizion

NiteVizion Active Member

Could use a bit of structure for sure. Sometimes it's a bit too relaxed. Makes people think they can get away with murder. Some people like it,some people want a place where u have to salute your TM before starting your shift.

hotrodd and kenneth like this.
  9. Stinkeye

It's not you, corporate management could use an overhaul.

hotrodd likes this.
  10. hotrodd

hotrodd Active Member

I think i'm about to do the very same thing. OD pays a dollar more than E', ins. is cheaper, they still have profit sharing and it will cut 15 min off my drive to and from. But I only have 1.5 years not 16 so I really ain't losing anything.

slinky likes this.
  11. BillyLo

If you hate laid back, you'll love OD. We're becoming Conway green more and more each year. We're here to make money and there'll be no sympathy work for you when it slows down. Your butt will sit on the couch until it picks up again. Everything is about the numbers now and not family.

12. NiteVizion

NiteVizion Active Member

Let's hope for all our sake it never slows down as bad as the last recession. If that happens, you better have big seniority. But from what I hear OD has freight pouring from the sky. Some kind of freight making device I think.

13. Bigreem1985

Bigreem1985 Active Member

Wish that was the case... my run seems to get cut once a week, even tho we should be booming being summer time and all. Maybe it's just my yard, but who knows.

14. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's your area, down south we're covered up. Don't even think of asking for 2 days off on the extraboard. You get 34 then it's back to the road.

Bigreem1985 likes this.
  15. BillyLo

Busy here also. Getting 60 hours a week all OT after 40 thanks to Washington state making sure places like this don't take advantage of us.

NiteVizion and hotrodd like this.
  16. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

What I want to know is why only 60? That number means nothing since they have to pay overtime after 40... they ought to be working you 70.

Big Dave and dough boy like this.
  17. BillyLo

Got all my work done in 60 hours and didn't need the 70.

Big Dave likes this.
  18. flybynite

flybynite Active Member

Shhh, don't tell Billy but I am visiting Seattle. Looking for him. Hahahaha. Y'all have a great weekend.

19. Bigreem1985

Bigreem1985 Active Member

Good, glad to hear you guys are keeping busy. PHX is more of an inbound yard, so our city guys are staying busy. I hope someday in the future they turn our building into a mini-break terminal... seems like we have the room for it.

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  20. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Coop Dispatch driver

Did you still have time to mow the bosses yard at his house?

Songremainsthesame and Big Dave like this.