SAIA | Thinking of switching...give me the skinny

Hard to believe that its not sunshine and roses at SAIA !!
Lets see what the resident expert has to say about this.
No job is without morale issues. We all are different and are entitled to our opinions so here is mine. We are a work in progress and it takes time to get things right or at least more manageable. We speak of ineptness in management but let's not forget ineptness in drivers. When management has to work with drivers that give less than 100% you will have some issues. Don't try and blame driver morale totally on management. Some drivers just have **** poor attitudes and you can never make them happy. But let's get beyond that. My constant theme on here and will always be that a Union is not the answer. Where is the answer? ... It's in trial and error. It's in fine tuning the machine. It just takes time. If PR83 thinks the Union is the answer then so be it. I've been doing this longer than most and I can tell you the Union is not the answer. The Union leadership cares about one thing and one thing only .... THEMSELVES .... Wake up and start smelling the ::shit:: your trying to shovel.

Last edited:
This site leans to the pro-union side and I know where it starts. I just don't care anymore and I'm willing to face the consequences.

What makes your answer the correct one??
Because I have seen what the Teamsters have done to the members over the last decade. Broken promises that Hoffa Sr. would be ashamed of. I'm certain he is rolling over in his grave by the spineless group that leads the Teamsters today with his very own son at the top. What can the members do at this point because they are really stuck with coming with the gal that brought them? After decades of service they can't jump ship now but the Old Timers know and have seen how the Teamsters have devolved. One of the Mods on here is particularly critical of today's Teamsters. Now remember Joe I'm speaking about today's Teamsters and not the warriors of yesterday. Hoffa Jr. must go and all of the Freight divisions top leaders for the Teamsters to ever have a shot at returning to the glory days. Only the members can decide the direction they want to go. Today's Teamsters have strayed so far off the path from their original purpose that they can't even be compared with the OLD TEAMSTERS. The Warriors. The ones that stood up. The ones that made a difference.

Last edited:
Because I have seen what the Teamsters have done to the members over the last decade. Broken promises that Hoffa Sr. would be ashamed of. I'm certain he is rolling over in his grave by the spineless group that leads the Teamsters today with his very own son at the top. What can the members do at this point because they are really stuck with coming with the gal that brought them? After decades of service they can't jump ship now but the Old Timers know and have seen how the Teamsters have devolved. One of the Mods on here is particularly critical of today's Teamsters. Now remember Joe I'm speaking about today's Teamsters and not the warriors of yesterday. Hoffa Jr. must go and all of the Freight divisions top leaders for the Teamsters to ever have a shot at returning to the glory days. Only the members can decide the direction they want to go. Today's Teamster have strayed so far off the path from their original purpose that they can't even be compared with the OLD TEAMSTERS. The Warriors. The ones that stood up. The ones that made a difference.
Again what makes your answer correct? I hear your opinion one that I may or may not share, but you offer no facts to support your opinion.

Again what makes your answer correct? I hear your opinion one that I may or may not share, but you offer no facts to support your opinion.
The proof is in the pudding. In what they have done to the members over that last decade. 15% ... Purchase Transportation ... Concessions after Concessions. All take but no give at least not enough that matters. What have they done lately Joe. Let me tell you ... Not a God Damn thing !!!!

The proof is in the pudding. In what they have done to the members over that last decade. 15% ... Purchase Transportation ... Concessions after Concessions. All take but no give at least not enough that matters. What have they done lately Joe. Let me tell you ... Not a God Damn thing !!!!
The reason for that is people like you willing to work for what they give you, not wanting to take a stand & stick together! The union has no choice but to cut and downsize to stay in business, its sad when a company has to use purchased transportation to compete with non union carriers. You just keep working to give your ceo a big bonus while you receive your annual raise, only problem is they raised your health care 2% more then your raise. I will say this again, if we all stuck together this would be a good industry to work in because right now it sucks!! After 24 years of this if something better comes along I out of here....

How would or do you know what they have or have not done? where do you get your information? are you basing your reply on what you read on here? again your opinion, and no facts.

The reason for that is people like you willing to work for what they give you, not wanting to take a stand & stick together! The union has no choice but to cut and downsize to stay in business, its sad when a company has to use purchased transportation to compete with non union carriers. You just keep working to give your ceo a big bonus while you receive your annual raise, only problem is they raised your health care 2% more then your raise. I will say this again, if we all stuck together this would be a good industry to work in because right now it sucks!! After 24 years of this if something better comes along I out of here....
I totally understand what your saying and I'm now counting the months until I retire. The problem is that no one sticks together so it goes back to "it is what it is" .... BTW. SAIA hasn't had an increase in healthcare cost in about 5 or 6 years although I'm sure it's coming because of Obama. When the Union carriers must compete with the nons there will be no winning. This is a tough business and only the strongest will survive. I can't see YRC making it because the infrastructure is deteriorating so rapidly with not enough revenue being generated to reinvest. And I find no pleasure in saying that. I hope I'm wrong actually.

Last edited:
Just as I " Shovel ::shit:: " as you say you also "Shovel your own brand of ::shit:: Train.
I happen to enjoy the smell while you have yours breakfast lunch and dinner when ever boss man decides to poop out another load for his freight slaves.

I totally understand what your saying and I'm now counting the months until I retire. The problem is that no one sticks together so it goes back to "it is what it is" .... BTW. SAIA hasn't had an increase in healthcare cost in about 5 or 6 years although I'm sure it's coming because of Obama. When the Union carriers must compete with the nons there will be no winning. This is a tough business and only the strongest will survive. I can't see YRC making it because the infrastructure is deteriorating so rapidly with not enough revenue being generated to reinvest. And I find no pleasure in saying that. I hope I'm wrong actually.
Thank private insurance companies. Medicare is much more cost effective and could/should be available to all. The president has nothing to do with it.

Anyways......there are pros and cons with any job. I owe too much to take a 2 year pay cut and ride the dock. Others are without that option. If I was going g to drive for the next 30 for sure, I wouldn't dream of changing. Hopefully, I've got 5 more years max. This life is fine but not for me.

So, you get paid for hooking your set, is there a set amount if time? What about breakdowns? Late meets? Or is there just a basic pay to hook and unhook? What's the starting amount for miles and hourly?

Anyways......there are pros and cons with any job. I owe too much to take a 2 year pay cut and ride the dock. Others are without that option. If I was going g to drive for the next 30 for sure, I wouldn't dream of changing. Hopefully, I've got 5 more years max. This life is fine but not for me.

So, you get paid for hooking your set, is there a set amount if time? What about breakdowns? Late meets? Or is there just a basic pay to hook and unhook? What's the starting amount for miles and hourly?
This one is a no-brainer with just 5 years left. Apply online now and hope your accepted ... SAIA is very picky when it comes to drivers despite what some may tell you, even with the driver shortage that exist today. You need a clean record and good references. Each region is different as far as pay and incentive packages like sign on bonuses. Talk with a local SAIA driver in your area and get some inside skinny. You will get work at SAIA and won't be sitting in the Illinois region. Don't sweat the other ::shit:: here because at 64cpm and the great healthcare you will do just fine.

Your getting to far ahead of yourself. Get the job then determine if you find things acceptable. You haven't got a lot to lose if what your saying is true.

No job is without morale issues. We all are different and are entitled to our opinions so here is mine. We are a work in progress and it takes time to get things right or at least more manageable. We speak of ineptness in management but let's not forget ineptness in drivers. When management has to work with drivers that give less than 100% you will have some issues. Don't try and blame driver morale totally on management. Some drivers just have **** poor attitudes and you can never make them happy. But let's get beyond that. My constant theme on here and will always be that a Union is not the answer. Where is the answer? ... It's in trial and error. It's in fine tuning the machine. It just takes time. If PR83 thinks the Union is the answer then so be it. I've been doing this longer than most and I can tell you the Union is not the answer. The Union leadership cares about one thing and one thing only .... THEMSELVES .... Wake up and start smelling the :::shit::: your trying to shovel.
Got a all bulshit aside question. If deregulation had never occurred do you think that the LTL would be as non Union as it is now?

Got a all bulshit aside question. If deregulation had never occurred do you think that the LTL would be as non Union as it is now?
We can only speculate on that particular question. There is really no way to ever know. What we do know is that this industry is predominately non-union today and competition is brutal. From an efficiency stand point the nons have a great advantage and that's one reason this industry will stay predominantly non-union .... Right or wrong that's just the way things are.