TForce | Thirty and out rule?

Credits
Hypothetically lets say that we do vote the Union in.... What do you think will happen to the men and women who have a lot of time already in. For example I have almost 21 years in and I want to retire in 9 years when I have my 30 years in.

1. Will I still be able to retire without early retirement penalties and draw my full pension at the age of 55?
2. Will I get a pension check from the NON-Union pension fund and the Union pension fund?

I think these are just a few unanswered questions that might be on the minds of a lot us here.​

Silverhawk, nobody can tell you exactly what would happen in your case because the union has not yet announced what kind of incentives they will be offering to get you to join.

In the past, it has been customary for the union to offer 1 year of credits in the union fund for every 2 years you had in your company fund.

In your case, you would receive your a 21 year pension from UPSF AND receive 19 1/2 years from the union( 10.5 years credited and 9 years acually worked).

Remember, nothing is carved in stone at this point but this is how it's worked in the past.
This organizing drive is in it's early stages so just keep an eye on whats going on and I'm sure there will be more details available as momentum builds

I hope this helps

CFer you say credit,thats yrs.,without money right?

How could there be money going out to workers that haven't worked for pension contributing companies?

There are reports all around how union pension funds are underfunded,and people working now are supporting retirees.

So how in the world are you going to come up with even more money to take care of non-contributing company workers?

I have 20 years Overnite/UPS Freight.
I also have 20 years credit 1966 to 1986 Teamsters.
All low paying early years.
My last printout of retirement benefits was $810.00 per month.

I have every right to that money,but what right would I have to get money from my non-union non-paid years?

Like you say though theres is a lot of questions,very few answers at this point.

In fact I don't hear anything but questions about if we are going to join,from the union drivers I talk to on my route.

All the messages on this forum so far have brought only negative ideas about scare tactics,and the lower brain levels of those of us that don't feel Teamster representation would be a good idea for our company.

Only God knows all the answers to all the questions anyone would ever want to know.

Silverhawk1 said:
Hypothetically lets say that we do vote the Union in.... What do you think will happen to the men and women who have a lot of time already in. For example I have almost 21 years in and I want to retire in 9 years when I have my 30 years in.

1. Will I still be able to retire without early retirement penalties and draw my full pension at the age of 55?
2. Will I get a pension check from the NON-Union pension fund and the Union pension fund?

I think these are just a few unanswered questions that might be on the minds of a lot us here.​

I think we have a good retirement and benefits and getting better. I say let UPS handle our pension. I was running with a UPS sleeper driver and I could tell he had mixed feelings about it.

Yup I've seen that also about our Parent company drivers

Even though they have no clue of whats going on.
All the ones I talk to either say they've got to get us in the union.
Where some say stay out your way better off with out them.

The last group of drivers say the representation really sucks.

The first group ask me whats going on with us organizing?
I tell them I don't know,do they?
They say no,they haven't heard anything.

So like I've already posted God only knows what anyones future will be.

Apostolic said:
Even though they have no clue of whats going on.
All the ones I talk to either say they've got to get us in the union.
Where some say stay out your way better off with out them.

The last group of drivers say the representation really sucks.

The first group ask me whats going on with us organizing?
I tell them I don't know,do they?
They say no,they haven't heard anything.

So like I've already posted God only knows what anyones future will be.

Going to be interesting. All I can say is we better get it together or FedEx will be #1 and UPS #2. They now have real competition.

Could come down to a rate bidding war?

The only thing though if it comes to that.
Where will Yellow wind up if the two biggest non-union LTL Truck load companies start trying to undercut each others rates to gain the highier presentage of market share?

Like you say time will tell how interesting these two mergers will play out,my brother.

Jimmy Hoffa senior must be turning over in his grave so to speak over all these events,wherever he may be?

Market share means very little these days. Bottom line in any company are profits. The shareholders only care about making as much money in as short oftime as possible. Cutting prices to get more freight and running at say a 98O/R won't cut it on Wall street. So I wouldn't expect a pricing war. But what do I know?

Skeeter said:
Going to be interesting. All I can say is we better get it together or FedEx will be #1 and UPS #2. They now have real competition.
We need to get off this Fedex thing. Who cares who is number one. There is plenty of freight to go around. I care about what effects my pocket and family. Attitudes will not change until UPSF gets it together for their employees first. The rest will come when that changes.

Apostolic said:
The only thing though if it comes to that.
Where will Yellow wind up if the two biggest non-union LTL Truck load companies start trying to undercut each others rates to gain the highier presentage of market share?

Like you say time will tell how interesting these two mergers will play out,my brother.

Jimmy Hoffa senior must be turning over in his grave so to speak over all these events,wherever he may be?
Wait until UPS buys YRC

soooo lemme see now, we'd be UPSGFYRNPJ...ups ground freight yellow roadway new penn jevic...hmmmmmm I think it's easier to call FEDEX

WOW BusterNite are you a dreamer.

How much bigger can these companies get before no-one in this country will be able to afford to ship anything by LTL trucking?

The thing is freight rate increases always come bouncing back to we the consumer.

We'll all have to learn the manderin language,and pushase a one way trip to Hong Kong,or some other part of the far east thats producing all of Americas goods to get trucking jobs.

Just think the company name would have go all around the shirt.

United Parcel Ground Yellow USF Group Road Penn,Freight.

Yes sir that would take sometime to sign on our bill of ladens,anytime we made pickups.

But Gee wiz ABF would feel a might lonely.

Irishman107 said:
Market share means very little these days. Bottom line in any company are profits. The shareholders only care about making as much money in as short oftime as possible. Cutting prices to get more freight and running at say a 98O/R won't cut it on Wall street. So I wouldn't expect a pricing war. But what do I know?
I say your right on the money. There wouldve allready been a price war with the "parcel" if that was the case. Allthough FDX wants more of the market, they dont wanna loose money to make it happen nor get in a street fight with UPS.

krash said:
The CEO did mention another "major" purchase. Man, that would be one heck of a LTL division for UPS:bgroovy:
I believe that he was talking about purchasing a company that covered the area that we don't currently cover. For example the states of Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota. These states are almost exclusively covered now by interline carriers. I believe that UPS wants us to have the capability to deliver to every zip code in the United States. then you can throw out the routing guides because there wont be any questions on what we can do or where we can go. "We will deliver everywhere."​

Silverhawk1 said:

Ya know Silverhawk unfortunately we all just read your worry about your retirement ( in the firm and forceful no's and such) and take it as your angry and not willing to look at the whole picture. But your concern is a very good one. If I was in your shoes and facing your decision I would be pretty vigolent myself. And I am starting to wonder if this is not the case with many of the O employees. This opens my eyes to you and your fellow O brothers and sisters. If I have stepped on your toes I am sorry. You have a right to be sceptical.

bad habit said:
soooo lemme see now, we'd be UPSGFYRNPJ...ups ground freight yellow roadway new penn jevic...hmmmmmm I think it's easier to call FEDEX

UH don't forget USF and co.. In any case it would be one f'-ed up logo.

Teamster251 said:
UPS is buying ODFL, trust me

This would crack me up. Our old TM (great guy) quit to go work for them. And then he would be sucked right back in to the old grind. Now answer my P.M., the box has room.