TForce | Thirty and out rule?

Apostolic said:
How much bigger can these companies get before no-one in this country will be able to afford to ship anything by LTL trucking?

The thing is freight rate increases always come bouncing back to we the consumer.

We'll all have to learn the manderin language,and pushase a one way trip to Hong Kong,or some other part of the far east thats producing all of Americas goods to get trucking jobs.
5 years from now their will only be 4 major LtL carriers in the United States.

Silverhawk1 said:
UPS is NOT buying ODFL, Trust me! It would duplicate almost every service center that we currently have.​

Yes it would, most if not all of OD's terminals are in better shape and have a huge potential for growth/expansion.

They can merge either operation together just as they please.

No Senioity issues.
No wage issues
No job location issues.
No moving expenses issues.
No equiptment issues (anythng can be painted)

What stops UPS from closing one barn over the other? Nothing.

What stops UPS from entailing UPGF employees behind OD's? Nothing.

What stops UPS from lowering wages to match OD's and bring everyone to the same wage structure? Nothing.

What stops UPS from moving your job to another terminal or company? Nothing.

What stops UPS from doing anything with Overnite/UPS Freight? Nothing.

OD covers the lower 48 better than Overnite, what stops them from buying OD and mergering the two together? Nothing.

greezy trucker said:
Ya know Silverhawk unfortunately we all just read your worry about your retirement ( in the firm and forceful no's and such) and take it as your angry and not willing to look at the whole picture. But your concern is a very good one. If I was in your shoes and facing your decision I would be pretty vigolent myself. And I am starting to wonder if this is not the case with many of the O employees. This opens my eyes to you and your fellow O brothers and sisters. If I have stepped on your toes I am sorry. You have a right to be sceptical.
GT I really do appreciate your open mindedness. You are right. I am deeply concerned about my retirement and being able to retire after 30 years service and doing it at the age of 55 without any penalty's. There are also a lot of unknowns that we are all facing... not just with my new employer but the constant pressures from the union. If I have come across as being angry I too am sorry if I offended anyone here. but most of my posts here are trying to keep everyone honest and informed. I guess I just need to lighten up some.:smilie_132:​

Teamster251 said:
Yes it would, most if not all of OD's terminals are in better shape and have a huge potential for growth/expansion.

No Senioity issues.
No wage issues
No job location issues.

What stops UPS from lowering wages to match OD's and bring everyone to the same wage structure? Nothing.

OD covers the lower 48 better than Overnite, what stops them from buying OD and mergering the two together? Nothing.
No wage issues?

Silverhawk1 said:
UPS is NOT buying ODFL, Trust me! It would duplicate almost every service center that we currently have.​

silverhawk, I'm not saying I believe the rumor but I wouldn't discount it just because of duplicated services. Just look at Yellow/Roadway. Thats what synergies are all about.
Never say never

Teamster251 said:

No Senioity issues.
No wage issues
No job location issues.

Here we go again:duh:

They would go by seniority just like they did with Motor Cargo.

If they close one barn they will merge all that they can. Just like they are doing with Motor Cargo.

To say just about all of OD's terminals are better than ours. All of ours are so run down you are losing your credibility as usual.

They would go by company seniority just like they did with Motor Cargo with fairness.

They will bring their wages up to ours just like they are doing with Motor Cargo. LOL! I know that would really disappoint you.

They will close one terminal and allow transfers if that is the best thing for the company. Just like they do at union Barnes.

ODFL does NOT have the coverage UPSF has.
Just my opinion like yours not all factual.

Skeeter,
How would you rate your terminal for size, condition and does it have room to grow?
The only one Ive had the pleasure of seeing, is in ATL. Looked rather ragged and outdated then.
Then again, we have some centers that look like they have been forgotten about by the powers that be. Patched togeather, land locked and no yard.

Teamster251 said:

No Senioity issues.
No wage issues
No job location issues.

T251 were shall I start.
Hmmm. I am amazed that you would know the physical condition of every single UPGF and ODFL terminal. and to say that they would be better suited for us is purely speculation. Yes they could buy and merge us together, but I think it highly unlikely.

You are correct UPS can close any barn as they see fit. This could happen and did happen with a lot of Union companies for example; ANR/Advance and ABF/Carolina. I spoke with a local driver for Holland and he is quite worried that the same is going to happen to him if Yellow decided to consolidate there three companies. A lot of good jobs went bye bye because of consolidation of these companies.
I bet you can help me add to this list...

You say ODFL covers the United States better then UPGF. I disagree with you on that statement. But you have your opinion and I have mine.

Good Day Sir! :smilie_132:​

CFer said:
silverhawk, I'm not saying I believe the rumor but I wouldn't discount it just because of duplicated services. Just look at Yellow/Roadway. Thats what synergies are all about.
Never say never
CFer you are right about it being a rumor. But really if you think that UPS would have wanted to acquire ODFL don't you think that they would have just bought them out first instead of paying so much for Overnite. I will say though that ODFL was on the short list being considered by UPS. I am just another person behind a key board here and who am I to say either way. But the move to buy them out just doesn't make since to me.​

Skeeter said:
Here we go again:duh:

They would go by seniority just like they did with Motor Cargo.

If they close one barn they will merge all that they can. Just like they are doing with Motor Cargo.

To say just about all of OD's terminals are better than ours. All of ours are so run down you are losing your credibility as usual.

They would go by company seniority just like they did with Motor Cargo with fairness.

They will bring their wages up to ours just like they are doing with Motor Cargo. LOL! I know that would really disappoint you.

They will close one terminal and allow transfers if that is the best thing for the company. Just like they do at union Barnes.

ODFL does NOT have the coverage UPSF has.
Just my opinion like yours not all factual.
You sure are hot and cold there fella, one post your on the attack and the next your saying sorry and blaming it on your coffee intake for the day. Well, I guess your on the attack again, it sounds to me that your company is UPSF and us and anyone else that is acquired is an outsider. Any company that is mentioned as a possible acquisition you have nothing good to say about them. And before you say that is not true take a look at your past posts here and in other forums. The only problem I have with your company is the cuts and nothing else( and I admit I've beat that old horse to death). Be a little more open minded towards the rest of "us" because if they don't get bigger all we will see is fading tail lights from Federal Express.

steve5 said:
You sure are hot and cold there fella, one post your on the attack and the next your saying sorry and blaming it on your coffee intake for the day. Well, I guess your on the attack again, it sounds to me that your company is UPSF and us and anyone else that is acquired is an outsider. Any company that is mentioned as a possible acquisition you have nothing good to say about them. And before you say that is not true take a look at your past posts here and in other forums. The only problem I have with your company is the cuts and nothing else( and I admit I've beat that old horse to death). Be a little more open minded towards the rest of "us" because if they don't get bigger all we will see is fading tail lights from Federal Express.

But I don't know where you are coming from now. I said in my book the combining of Overnite and Motor Cargo is about as fair as you can get. If you are referring to my response to T251 I don't know how you can come up with hot and cold. I have always felt as far as the way Overnite and UPS has done Motor Cargo is more than fair.

They will also do any other company the same way. They probably will be buying another company. To expand their operations nationwide.

I agree with CFer about synergies of new bought companies. Oh and weather you think I'm hot or cold either live with it or just skip over my posts.

I heard they bought a LTL company a week after Overnite

It was in the United Kingdom,they paid $96,&1/2 million for them.
I'm not sure of their name?

I think it is Linex or something like that?
I can't recall much about it now?
I saw it on the upser site just after Overnite/Motor Cargo was purchased last August.

For all we know they maybe buying a lot of companies all the time,anywhere in the world.
After all their a global company.

Here today... The world tomorrow!

Apostolic said:
It was in the United Kingdom,they paid $96,&1/2 million for them.
I'm not sure of their name?

I think it is Linex or something like that?
I can't recall much about it now?
I saw it on the upser site just after Overnite/Motor Cargo was purchased last August.

For all we know they maybe buying a lot of companies all the time,anywhere in the world.
After all their a global company.
I read the same thing on the UPSers website as well. I believe that there intentions are too acquire companies until they have the capability to compete in every market in the world. And in my opinion I believe that after they have the ability to compete in every market in the world then they will compete and beat the competition using high quality services at a fair price. :smilie_132:​

Skeeter said:
But I don't know where you are coming from now. I said in my book the combining of Overnite and Motor Cargo is about as fair as you can get. If you are referring to my response to T251 I don't know how you can come up with hot and cold. I have always felt as far as the way Overnite and UPS has done Motor Cargo is more than fair.

They will also do any other company the same way. They probably will be buying another company. To expand their operations nationwide.

I agree with CFer about synergies of new bought companies. Oh and weather you think I'm hot or cold either live with it or just skip over my posts.

I have to disagree... The two terminals that are under change in my area, only MC guys are being required to move. This to me looks like o is protecting there own. Taking what runs work for them from MC and the drivers needed and well we will see if you fit in somewhere....nevermind the pay cut. It is easy for you all not being affected yet to sit there and tell us how we are being over reactive but the answer lies in the statement.....Your not being affected......

Skeeter said:

The only problem with this theory is that Overnite bought Motor Cargo. Any other companies will be purchased by UPS and will be merged or closed any way UPS see's fit. There is a big difference. UPS as you see does things there way. It ain't Overnite anymore.

Skeeter said:

You don't know where I am comming from? I don't know how much more plain I can put it. As for the live with it or skip over, I'll live with it so I can respond to some of the questionable comments you make. I'm not saying I don't make them either, at least you don't deny the hot and cold thing.

Irishman107 said:
The only problem with this theory is that Overnite bought Motor Cargo. Any other companies will be purchased by UPS and will be merged or closed any way UPS see's fit. There is a big difference. UPS as you see does things there way. It ain't Overnite anymore.
Union Pacific bought Motor Cargo then pushed us under and made OVNT our parent co before release for purchase by public. This was on MC website fact sheet, no more website.