This is a very good sign.....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jenny807, Jun 4, 2016.

1. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY COOP Dispatch GPS Division

Yeah. Tax money supporting the postal service that loses billions of dollars a year trying to compete with ups, and fedex for package business. And delivering Amazon on Sunday's that I am sure, a real cheap price.

aztec warrior likes this.
  2. Triplex

Triplex Experienced stalker

I could be wrong (it did happen once in 1956) but I think the reason the USPS shows losses is precisely because of the specific pension funding payments they are forced to make.

UPS and FedEx both use the USPS for "last mile" delivery of some shipment types. They drop off bulk loads of parcels to local post offices for the actual local delivery. Just got something delivered that way a few days ago. A win-win for all involved IMHO.

PS - I'm trying to squeeze in as many posts as I can before my gene pool is cut off as bigtruk has suggested in another thread. :hysterical:

maz123, Canadian Flyer and roadboss like this.
  3. BIG R GUY

I am guessing ups, and fed ex give parcels to the post office because they cannot do it that cheap. As far as the gene pool thing, I guess you better not ever get married again to someone capable of still bearing children....

4. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

You can take 8 to AZ 85 at Gila Bend, go north and bypass Phoenix... I think they missed a step on the billboard, or ran out of space :-)

maz123 and Elwood like this.
  5. tutone710

tutone710 Your Retirement Canceled

[​IMG]

This is a very good sign.

6. Triplex

Post Office is obligated to serve every address. For UPS and Fed Ex it's very inefficient to make small parcel residential deliveries. By UPS and FedEx bulk delivering these smaller residential parcels to the local post office and since the mail carrier is going to every residence anyway, a very efficient delivery operation is the result. Win-win all the way around.

Someone of child bearing age? Many advantages but one huge disadvantage for sure!

maz123 likes this.
  7. BIG R GUY

I agree with your reply, Dad. But the post office still loses a ton of money doing it.

8. Triplex

Have to disagree with you son (did you finish your homework by the way?). UPS delivers a hamper or pallet of small parcels to various local post office locations and they are sorted there and put out for delivery along with all the regular mail. Mailman is just bringing additional small parcels and delivering to places he's already going to anyway - no extra travel or effort involved. UPS and FedEx do 99% of the transportation and sorting and the PO just does the last, small step. Ask Wong if you don't believe me.

maz123 likes this.
  9. Elwood

Elwood Question Authority

I think they were trying to deceive the message recipients into heading closer to the 8 Border Patrol checkpoints.:17142:

10. BIG R GUY

If I remember correctly, the PO lost almost 6 billion in the 4 th quarter alone last year. We even have a mailbox on the side of our gold hotel, and the PO picks it up for us...

11. Triplex

BRG, you have to dig a little beyond the misleading sound bytes. Read the article in the link below.

http://juneauempire.com/opinion/2014-09-16/my-turn-postal-service-really-losing-money

"The first thing I want people to know is that the Postal Service receives no taxpayer dollars. Zero, none, nada. The Postal Service has been self-sufficient for many, many years."

"In this fiscal year, revenue is up in all aspects of the Postal Service First Class, packages and advertising. Overall, revenue for the USPS is up $1 billion from the same time last year."

"Why does everyone seem to think the Postal Service is losing money? Congress has a lot to do with it."

"The Postal Service is required to pay $5.5 billion annually to pre-fund retiree’s health care benefits for 75 years. So the Postal Service is paying for healthcare for future retiree’s that have not been born yet. I know this sounds preposterous and it would take way too long to explain here, so please Google “Postal Service pre-funding” and you will find numerous articles from well-respected news agencies on the topic."

Woody, pilot87, SuperCourse and 3 others like this.
  12. sundrop03

sundrop03 Active Member

Oh my God I just agreed with Wongway !!! LOL

wongway likes this.
  13. White

White Well-Known Member

Yep. And in these parts a non U trucking company drops off Amazon pallets for last mile handling by USPS.

maz123, albag and Triplex like this.
  14. highheadblues

highheadblues Well-Known Member

Yes making the usps prepay pension costs was a little trick the tea baggers in congress cooked up to make them show a loss so they could say everything government does they do poorly. Part of the plan to privatize the mail.

pilot87 likes this.
  15. Triplex

Tea baggers? You must be a Hillary supporter because you like to tell lies also. The bill was sponsored by two Republicans and two Democrats. Are you trying to say that all four are tea baggers?

"On the eighth day of December in 2006, at 10:33 at night, the 2009th Congress passed H.R. 6407, The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, by a voice vote."

"The bill was introduced by Republican Congressman Tom Davis of the 11th CD of Virginia. Co-sponsors were one other Republican, John McHugh, 23rd CD of New York, and Democrats Danny Davis, 7th CD of Illinois and Henry Waxman, 30th CD of California."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/4/26/1086631/-Postal-Accountability-and-Enhancement-Act-of-2006

16. highheadblues

It was an attempt to break the postal union by attempting to show how inefficient the postal service is, and republicans desire to "privatize" which translates into non-union. Can't stand Hillary, don't trust Trump, for the first time in my voting lifetime not sure how I'm going to vote. I will not however, ever check the box of a union busting republican.

17. Triplex

Once again in case you missed it, the bill was sponsored by two Republicans and two Democrats. That makes it bi-partisan in my book. But go ahead and blame only Republicans if it fits your narrative.

Woody and Northern Flash like this.
  18. Triplex

By the way, you say Republicans want to destroy unions? Reading the news it seems that unions are doing a good job destroying themselves...

Head of New York City corrections officers union charged with fraud
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-corruption-hedgefunds-idUSKCN0YU1IO

Ex-president of Paramus union, John M. DeBouter, pleads guilty to misdemeanor count
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/ex-...-pleads-guilty-to-misdemeanor-count-1.1611539

Ex-Paramus-based union leader 'Buzzy' Dressel sentenced in embezzlement scheme
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/ex-...ced-in-embezzlement-scheme-1.1498843?page=all

19. highheadblues

Neither party is much to my liking. Both are controlled by special interest, mainly corporations. I generally support Dems because they do not actively attack unions like Republicans do. All the attacks to privatize postal service, public schools, social security, are schemes aimed at breaking unions and enriching their friends. Nobody gets rich in government.

20. White

White Well-Known Member

USPS pension funding is not a right or left issue, it's complete government :horseshit:. The Teamsters had to limit pension contributions, yet the government is FORCED to OVERFUND their own pensions. I hate to say bailout, but this type of one way street governing almost demands it.