This is what I have been up to since the YRC layoffs.

truckinus

TB Veteran
Credits
I've been going to school and earning a degree in process technology and nursing science. This is something a person might want to seriously consider if they want to get out of trucking. I would say it requires average intelligence, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist. It is very doable and takes two years. The local refinery pays $75K a year for 14 days a month of work. Its freaking awesome if you can get on there, but there are other opportunities around the country as well. link to my school website: Process Technology | Northern Oklahoma College There are other schools for the same thing around the country. It can be a very lucrative industry.

I've been going to school and earning a degree in process technology and nursing science. This is something a person might want to seriously consider if they want to get out of trucking. I would say it requires average intelligence, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist. It is very doable and takes two years. The local refinery pays $75K a year for 14 days a month of work. Its freaking awesome if you can get on there, but there are other opportunities around the country as well. link to my school website: Process Technology | Northern Oklahoma College There are other schools for the same thing around the country. It can be a very lucrative industry.
Better to post your progress here versus the YRC forum at the moment. IMO.

Sounds like the layoff has been a blessing for you!

I feel like a professional student at this point, but I did graduate this last December with an AS degree(pre-BSN) in nursing prereqs so I can attend university. I'm a little confused what I want to do. Oil refining or nursing? On the 7th day with overtime at 2x it pays $1000 for one day in the refinery. Very tempting! So I'm taking classes in that too.

I feel like a professional student at this point, but I did graduate this last December with an AS degree(pre-BSN) in nursing prereqs so I can attend university. I'm a little confused what I want to do. Oil refining or nursing? On the 7th day with overtime at 2x it pays $1000 for one day in the refinery. Very tempting! So I'm taking classes in that too.

the money from the refinery job sounds good on the surface..

questions arise in the longevity of the job.

nursing will always be there, and pays well too, plus a cleaner environment to work with, and most work of course done indoors.

the refinery job..well, all kinds of weather, dirty conditions, possible severe injuries as well.

me personally, i'd wanna be indoors out of the weather, and a longer work career over a possible short time span in the fields.