This makes me sad

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So today I guess yesterday there was a problem with one of the stops I had. The whole thing had me scratching my head a little bit. I got to some stop at noon to bad for that, I'm not apologizing for that, that is just the way the cookie crumbled, oh well. Anyhow I got to that stop and I guess here is what bugs me a little bit, I put the cooler in the cooler where I thought it should go and they said yes that's okay for today, but not really okay sorry. Anyhow, this account had some crushed boxes. Well I told them I didn't think to much of the crushed boxes because well frankly in the cooler of the truck they stacked 5 cases of potatoes on top of a whole case of beef and smashed it like a steam roller ran over it, I personally just thought it was the way we did things. We have a good amount of crushed boxes sometimes. It's the #1 complaint people have with our company.

Anyhow I guess the place wasn't happy with my service yesterday, of course all they had to do was just say could you move this over there or what ever and I would have been more then happy to do it. Pretty much what I said to the bosses this morning was look I asked the man are the eggs okay here if not please speak up that's why I'm asking.

I guess a stack I had in the freezer fell over or something I don't know and they had to credit 6 cases or something. What I want to know is, they credit 6 cases did the sales rep take those 6 cases back? You don't get a credit and get to keep the cases that allegedly were so ugly that you didn't want them. Yeah give me a credit, but keep it here I can still use the stuff, it's just I don't like how the box it came in looked. What kind of garbage is that?

I mean here's the thing I told them look I put the stuff in the freezer I built the stacks so I thought they would stay standing really I didn't think to much of it.

I'm really beginning to think you LTL people I know you guys have you're head aches too, but I'm beginning to think you guys have the right idea. I hate it when people complain like this, especially because I didn't mean any harm I know my intentions don't mean anything, but I'm doing them a favor anything they want all they have to do is speak up, that's what makes me angry when people tell me yeah this is fine and then call into complain so they can try and get something for free.
I don't know will keep going a little longer and see what happens, don't get me wrong it's not all bad, I like my neat new pay check and some days like today was a sinch. However I had 2 longer days in a row. However now and then I get some free food and stuff, but not as much as people would lead you to believe.

I must be a glutton for punishment I really don't know why I put my self through all of this.
Oh well.
icon_sad.gif

Well don't let a bad day take the wind out of your sales, also as new driver for the customer(s) you're under extreme scrutiny, being compared to all the others they deal with and have had in the past. As far as cases crushing, remember the boxes on frozen and on refrigirator rarely reflect the volume or shape of contents like most dry cases or your former beer cases, so they do crush and tip eventually, and just wait until the heat and humidity of summer, that and a little rain will turn those cold cases to mush. My advice be patient, learn what cases are good ones and what ones are garbage and stack accordingly, secondly take the time to downstack to a safer level when and where you drop it, yeah it takes a little time, but not that much, because when another vender or customer employee knocks when one of your stacks over, they'll blame you even if its their fault, if its downstacked to safe level they can't. Keep plugging away, live and learn, and remember it ain't a race.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes a company will eat it to keep the customer happy. Just do your best, always be polite and smile at the customer. Let the sales rep worry about the cheats and dishonest customer. Once you deliver the goods, your job is done. Move on to the next customer and try to remember the problem customers for the next time.

Mike I second what Guardrail said. I hate to tell you this but there is going to be some level of BS with every job you ever have. Sometimes you just have to deal with it and try to figure out your problem stops and kill them with kindness and bend over backwards to try to please them. Most of them will learn you are trying to do things correctly and will probably eventually respect you for going above and beyond. While LTL is a good job, I started my trucking career with CF as a city driver years ago, it has its share of BS customers to deal with too. While you didn't ask my opinion but i suggest you make it your short term goal to be the best, customer service oriented driver GFS has. Some days it may be a real pain but it will eventually pay off. If after some time that job isn't for you, move on. But remember that most every job is not going to be the same on the inside as it appeared from the outside looking in!

Today that's what I did if a stack was a little questionable I would take the 1 second and down stack. Actually today was not bad, I got out of work before 4:00pm there were still 3 other trucks out on the road when I got back so I was doing alright.

Mike I second what Guardrail said. I hate to tell you this but there is going to be some level of BS with every job you ever have. Sometimes you just have to deal with it and try to figure out your problem stops and kill them with kindness and bend over backwards to try to please them. Most of them will learn you are trying to do things correctly and will probably eventually respect you for going above and beyond. While LTL is a good job, I started my trucking career with CF as a city driver years ago, it has its share of BS customers to deal with too. While you didn't ask my opinion but i suggest you make it your short term goal to be the best, customer service oriented driver GFS has. Some days it may be a real pain but it will eventually pay off. If after some time that job isn't for you, move on. But remember that most every job is not going to be the same on the inside as it appeared from the outside looking in!
Banker, I wish I could like this post 56 times, (yea I pulled that number out my butt), you are a smart dude, that is for sure, your advice and opinions are always super solid. Your words are indicative of your experience, no doubt about that!

Banker, I wish I could like this post 56 times, (yea I pulled that number out my butt), you are a smart dude, that is for sure, your advice and opinions are always super solid. Your words are indicative of your experience, no doubt about that!
Thank You for the compliment! Since I highly respect your opinions GT it means a lot to me. I have made plenty of bonehead decisions in my life, but thankfully I have generally learned from my mistakes and don't repeat most of them. 56 is a good solid number! LOL. Enjoy your weekend.