Holland | This question was presented to me today

Griz

TB Veteran
Credits
I was asked if our 15% was given back would it change the attitudes and work ethic of the men and women? This question was from upper management.

And how would you answer? ???

I think it would cause so much in fighting amongst the other yrcw companies ....wouldn't be good

Even though I would want it back.

were they asking if it would just be Holland, or all the YRC companies? sort of a stupid question, when has more money ever negatively impacted the attitude of employee's?

I think it would be good for the morel as for me the 15% back would be real nice but I think I would like more is to have the pension back to the full amount most of us older people here are working for the pension but I would not turn down the 15% if they would give it back the company could boost the morel if they would got back to the old days of running Holland we were the elite company to work for we still have a few in management that started over 20yrs ago like me that remember the old days like getting a early start time and getting the freight off by noon the customers really loved us for that 80% delivered by noon then getting the pickups back early so it could be broke that means the road driver leaves early it is a trickle down effect the rest of the week bring back some earler start times I still take pride in my work there is still some at my barn who give 110% but the morel is really down another thing they could do is not have so many stupid video meeting on learning how to walk like a duck in the yard and hook up and so forth what a waste of time just let us do our jobs maybe if is for the new bees I don't no but if they can't hook up a truck they don't need to be hired in the first place. restore the pension and the 15% back and they won't have a shortage they will be flooded with applications lioke me it took me 4 month's to get hired back 20yrs ago even with a perfect record go back to them days well that's enough of me rattling on and on be safe brothers and sisters:15::05.18 flustered::adoration::acne::clap::clap:

I was asked if our 15% was given back would it change the attitudes and work ethic of the men and women? This question was from upper management.

The attitudes might change,as most would be more thankful.I don't think the work ethic would change much.Most were taught if you are being provided with a paycheck,work hard for it and be thankful.Hard workers work hard and sorry asses are sorry asses.They can just be more sorry at a union line because they can get away with it.

maybe with 15% back they could find drivers, Holland hasn't taken their ad down for city or road in Buffalo, its been up for over a year...
We get drivers here but they arent worth a damn. Either they bring freight back because they cant get into the dock or they dont want to put the effort into the delivery. They want 9-5 hours, a new truck, and volume runs. The rest go on comp so they dont have to work the dock in the cold. The company lowered the bar to the bottom of the barrel. They get what they deserve.

thanks guy, i'm new, lol.......I do have to say, I try and put in the effort to learn the right way of every barn I go to, I don't notch anyone, and my truck has a radio, gloves, pens, a pin puller, and rags for the mirrors for the city guys.... I don't think they are having good luck keeping most new road drivers....

thanks guy, i'm new, lol.......I do have to say, I try and put in the effort to learn the right way of every barn I go to, I don't notch anyone, and my truck has a radio, gloves, pens, a pin puller, and rags for the mirrors for the city guys.... I don't think they are having good luck keeping most new road drivers....
You arent where I am. We have several new hires (within the last 2 years) out on comp, one was on his 35 or so day when he tweaked his ankle and has been on light duty for over 2 months. One "driver" was here for 3 months quit once, fired once, and has now been on comp for almost a year. We have a couple drivers on their 3 or even 4th accident in less than a year.

Griz I know this isn't your first rodeo. I'm sure you told them you're no two-buck Chuck and that question was an insult to your intelligence.

You arent where I am. We have several new hires (within the last 2 years) out on comp, one was on his 35 or so day when he tweaked his ankle and has been on light duty for over 2 months. One "driver" was here for 3 months quit once, fired once, and has now been on comp for almost a year. We have a couple drivers on their 3 or even 4th accident in less than a year.

MI, right?

were they asking if it would just be Holland, or all the YRC companies? sort of a stupid question, when has more money ever negatively impacted the attitude of employee's?
Don't you think for a minute that 15% giveback would come free.

Don't take offense to the post, tslking mostly about city hires.

Don't you think for a minute that 15% giveback would come free.

they have road drivers brainwashed into thinking that 600+ miles every night is normal, in 10 year old trucks governed at 63? the prevailing attitude, seems to be, cook your book, line 4 only pays 20, vs running the road, which pays 30. even if you are owed breakdown, or got stuck at a velocity center....
so what exactly would they they take? the only thing they can take would be the governor off everyone's truck...

and I hate to say it, but it seems funny that you are actually worried about them taking something away, after already taking it away anyway? what, maybe they take away the 25% pension, and offer back full wages?

Griz I know this isn't your first rodeo. I'm sure you told them you're no two-buck Chuck and that question was an insult to your intelligence.
With 38 years in the biz and 25 at Holland there's very little they can get by me. I truly believe he is searching for ways to create a better work environment. He also has submitted a reward program that would pay for all employees of their origin terminal for reaching their safety goals. Don't think it would be possible but just imagine 0 accidents or workers comp claims for 1 year. ($286,000) at our 80 door terminal (150 employees) last year. Say they paid each employee a $1000.00 bonus if these goals were reached do you not think there wouldn't be a little added pressure to work through some of the iffy accidents. So the company saves about 50% on dollars plus the productivity of having the driver on duty. Probably a stretch, but at least he trying.

MI, right?

I never can go with blaming a brother. How about newbies need to learn our industry. . . we don't just drive truck. And what about the junk that lays around on the aprons and inside the terminal and other unsafe working conditions? Broken doors, dock plates, forklifts with problems. Never turn against a brother or sister.

I have a lot of respect for you Griz and don't mean to rain on your parade. Don't see a program like that ever getting YRC approval. They have too many gizmos and Change of Operations that need cash.

Griz,
With a terminal that size, his year-long goal probably isn't attainable. But his idea is noble. Goals need to be realistic and attainable to have anyone get on board.

But, to the question of if getting the 15% back would help morale, of course it would initially. But it's a proven fact that our industry likes to whine and moan about everything, so the morale would slowly go back to reality when everyone walks through the gate and sees the same crap. Management needs a make-over, but so do the employees. My personal opinion is that it will never change now since the top brass top have zero leadership skills.