Holland | This question was presented to me today

I have a lot of respect for you Griz and don't mean to rain on your parade. Don't see a program like that ever getting YRC approval. They have too many gizmos and Change of Operations that need cash.
Agree with 100% but just think of the savings they could have if say we achieved 7 months of accident free and then bam someone stopped the streak. That's a win win situation all the way for the company. We all know there's nothing in this but a paycheck for the rank and file. God help if we had an incentive to do our job better.

Griz,
With a terminal that size, his year-long goal probably isn't attainable. But his idea is noble. Goals need to be realistic and attainable to have anyone get on board.

But, to the question of if getting the 15% back would help morale, of course it would initially. But it's a proven fact that our industry likes to whine and moan about everything, so the morale would slowly go back to reality when everyone walks through the gate and sees the same crap. Management needs a make-over, but so do the employees. My personal opinion is that it will never change now since the top brass top have zero leadership skills.
Amen to that brother. Sounds like you've been there done that.

We all know there's nothing in this but a paycheck for the rank and file.
I think that there is a lot more than just a paycheck for the rank and file when the company makes a profit. Better/newer equipment, job security, better morale.......just for starters.

The question is, what would the company do with the saving from less comp. cases? Higher bonuses for those idiots at the top, or would they invest it in the company?

I never can go with blaming a brother. How about newbies need to learn our industry. . . we don't just drive truck. And what about the junk that lays around on the aprons and inside the terminal and other unsafe working conditions? Broken doors, dock plates, forklifts with problems. Never turn against a brother or sister.

?? no, I was just asking what barn he was out of, since he said I wasn't where he was.

Agree with 100% but just think of the savings they could have if say we achieved 7 months of accident free and then bam someone stopped the streak. That's a win win situation all the way for the company. We all know there's nothing in this but a paycheck for the rank and file. God help if we had an incentive to do our job better.

I truly believe if they gave incentives on a personal basis instead of an entire barn they would see drastic improvements with comp and accidents throughout the company.Incentives work.

why do you guys have a concrete block by your driveway in MI?
I have no clue. They put that there instead of paving the corner where guys short the turn. Its the dumbest thing I ever seen. When you exit look down at the rock on the left at the base of the hill. Its flat on one side. A driver years back got that rock caught under the trailer tandems and dragged it to the scale about 10 miles down I-94. He never realized it until the scale master stopped him. A wrecker brought it back.

Last edited:
I have no clue. They put that there instead of paving the corner where guys short the turn. Its the dumbest thing I ever seen. When you exit look down at the rock on the left at the base of the hill. Its flat on one side. A driver years back got that rock caught under the trailer tandems and dragged it to the scale about 10 miles down I-94. He never realized it until the scale master stopped him. A wrecker brought it back.

they paid to bring back a rock? and if they put it there to keep guys from shorting the turn, what happens when you get a tired road driver blow up a tire after he bangs into it at 15 mph with a heavy load?

they paid to bring back a rock? and if they put it there to keep guys from shorting the turn, what happens when you get a tired road driver blow up a tire after he bangs into it at 15 mph with a heavy load?
Yeah. Its out of the way at the exit drive. As for the one at the entrance, what about when it gets buried in snow?

he couldn't handle the exit ramp? that's not a cloverleaf exit ramp, its straight. was he ok, or as bad off as the truck looked?

Its a sad deal... His wife was to have surgery for cancer and he had to go through AK on his way back home. He lost it on the ramp and totaled the tractor.

Yeah. Its out of the way at the exit drive. As for the one at the entrance, what about when it gets buried in snow?

you guys have a goofball terminal setup anyway, I haven't ever seen a terminal with a yard that flows like that....first time I was there, like everyone else, i drove to the end and banged a 180 before realizing i had to veer to the right to get otta there....

I truly believe if they gave incentives on a personal basis instead of an entire barn they would see drastic improvements with comp and accidents throughout the company.Incentives work.
That's a great idea to drop in the "suggestion box". Oh, wait, forget it. Unless things have changed recently, they don't want to hear your suggestions since those college degrees know waaay more than us drivers could ever know.