FedEx Freight | Thoughts On A City Driver Advisor Like The Road Advisor

I can see from senior drivers this RDA being a joke but from a new guy they do give some good feedback on questions about company policies and such. When I was new I reached out to my RDA and he got back to me and clarified some things. He had 15 years as a road driver before he took the position. If I knew he was a recent college grad and got the job I wouldn’t of wasted my breath.
Agreed. We’ve been pushing for a road driver orientation to be made available to the city guys who are coming over to the road for a while now and this would be perfect for the RSA’s to oversee IMO. There’s a lot more involved than just going from A to B and although the city guys may have years of experience, it’s a whole different animal on this side. For example, at our center the guys that are coming over to the road haven’t pulled a set in years and some act as if they’ve never hooked/dropped a set...and lets not even mention pre/post trips!!

If you’re not sure what’s required of you to do your job, how could you possibly set yourself or the next man up for success!!??!!

Agreed. We’ve been pushing for a road driver orientation to be made available to the city guys who are coming over to the road for a while now and this would be perfect for the RSA’s to oversee IMO. There’s a lot more involved than just going from A to B and although the city guys may have years of experience, it’s a whole different animal on this side. For example, at our center the guys that are coming over to the road haven’t pulled a set in years and some act as if they’ve never hooked/dropped a set...and lets not even mention pre/post trips!!

I’ve covered the road many times. It’s not that hard. Yet, you rarely see a road driver cover the city unless it’s a simple swap.

You’re not exactly doing the Lord’s work out there.

I’ve covered the road many times. It’s not that hard. Yet, you rarely see a road driver cover the city unless it’s a simple swap.

You’re not exactly doing the Lord’s work out there.
The flying J is my chapel and the TA is church. Praise coffee and pass the potato wedges!

I agree with your post, but imo they could be replaced with a road driver handbook full of all rules and policies. Company would save a lot of money also.

I completely agree. Although I hate bureaucracy, maybe annually signing off on having received a copy of expectations and rules germane to whatever position the employee has would be a fair deal.

I do remember at one time thumbing through a booklet that covered all the HR issues like attendance, raises, vacation, etc. But this was at least seven years ago, and I haven't seen a printed copy since.

I completely agree. Although I hate bureaucracy, maybe annually signing off on having received a copy of expectations and rules germane to whatever position the employee has would be a fair deal.

I do remember at one time thumbing through a booklet that covered all the HR issues like attendance, raises, vacation, etc. But this was at least seven years ago, and I haven't seen a printed copy since.
vdVbNf5.jpg

How many decades was that document sitting in the OS&D area before a curator visiting from the Smithsonian recovered it? :)

I got it in 1955, the name had already been changed to Ryder Truck Lines, we were still running a lot of equipment
with G S name and logo.
You would not believe some of rules and regulations in the book.

News flash...your not exactly skilled trades labor either.
You’re just now getting butt hurt over something I wrote 2 1/2 months ago? Most everyone else has healed up. A little advice for you, it’s not the ache that’s so bad as much as it’s the lingering itch that’s going to make your fingernails smell bad for a while.

Tell you what, Susan. Today is end of month and a Friday. Ask your SCM if you can do a city route today, especially if you live on a metro area, then come back and tell us how hard that road run is.

I would take a road advisor gig if it paid 75k and 7-3:30 m-f schedule. But they work jacked up hours and travel all over their territory.

I don’t understand the city guy /road guy battle. I know it’s in all ltl companies. Both have good and bad aspects of the job. I would be a mess running a city route. I look like a brand new swift driver backing up a rail container on the rare occasion I have to take one lol. I have a lot of respect for city guys, especially in major metro areas.