Averitt | Thoughts on the Freightliner Cascadia Daycab

ltl lifer

Sr. Citizen & Gold Member
Credits
I have driven one of these now for a week. I was anxious and full of anticipation to drive one and really not sure how I would react to the automatic transmission after having driven one of the D13 daycab Volvo automatics (which I did NOT like at all). First night was a 500+ mile run with 26k out and 30k back. As luck would have it I was caught in a rush hour traffic situation in the rain so decided to try the manual side of the transmission to maneuver my way through this lengthy backup. It was at that point that I fell in love with it. You can do either manual or automatic, both worked flawlessly and smoothly.

I was truly against an automatic and wasn't sure that I wanted to give up my trusty and comfy 10 speed 2006 Volvo for an automatic and decided to try the Cascadia out for one trip before making the decision. I was hooked!

POSITIVES:

Comfortable ride
Cummins engine
Quiet cab (FAR more so than the Columbia) as it is insulated and superior door weatherstripping (which I have coated with silicone spray to improve the seal).
Overhead mounting of the CB (eliminates blockage of the fender mounted mirror)
2 fender mounted mirrors which provide EXCELLENT view of what sits beside you. Looking at them from the driver perspective they look like fly swatters.
Lit up turn signal light on side of cab not blinding you all night. Great placement.
Power windows (both sides)
USB port and Auxiliary input on the radio for playing iPod and other devices. (Volvo's low end radio that AE spec's the truck with does not have this VERY important feature). The radio sounds great!
More floor space between the 2 seats even with the fire extinguisher being on the floor to the right of the seat.
Huge back windows for visibility when hooking or in the city.
Air-bag dump valve.
3 stage engine brake with steering wheel controls
Marker light interrupt switch on the steering wheel. Cruise control on the steering wheel
Multi-speed intermittent wipers.
None of the oft-used controls are on the dash, they are convenient.
Both arm rests adjust the same way as in a Volvo
Qualcomm mounting is superior than in the Volvo.
Smaller steering wheel..
trip odometer and outisde temp on displays.
All in all a better built and constructed truck than the Columbia in many ways. Appears that Freightliner acquired driver input in the design.
Much easier to wash than a Volvo! (ok, I washed it already CM....I know I said I could care less about the cleanliness of the outside)

NEGATIVES:

Top speed cannot be achieved with foot pedal. 62 with foot, engage cruise to achieve 65 mph.
Still no storage under the passenger seat (this could be SO easily achieved).
Ignition key on the lowerleft side (this is annoying to your left leg)
No upper support for the mirrors on either side. I foresee a problem after many bumpy roads and 100k miles.....vibration.
Driver's seat too close to the steer axle.
Hood latches (where is the pull cable like the Volvos?)

All in all I am looking forward to many miles in this truck.

Hey corporate, I don't usually do so but kudos to you on upgrading to a far superior truck. After the Columbia's, you done good! :1036316054:

Good to see you like the Cascadia,most drivers I've talked to like them,only complaint...a bit short on power...could use another 25hp. Yes the 62-63 on the foot and 65 on cruise is STUPID! Those who dream this crap up,obvisouly have NEVER driven a 65mph truck and come up on SLOWER vehicles,effin around with cruise control buttons vs the pedal can cause a distraction leading to a possiable accident. My Cascadia has close to 250k...still quiet,no air or water leaks!

The hood latches are manual, they suck, easy to pop open, but hard to close and latch, getting them to catch is the key, took me forever to get the hang of it, once your used to it its all good.

I've talked to like them,only complaint...a bit short on power...could use another 25hp. Yes the 62-63 on the foot and 65 on cruise is STUPID! Those who dream this crap up,obvisouly have NEVER driven a 65mph truck and come up on SLOWER vehicles,effin around with cruise control buttons vs the pedal can cause a distraction leading to a possiable accident.

Yep, as in Averitt fashion with daycabs, just enough power to eventually get you up to speed. Since these trucks run the road like the sleeper trucks do, I see no reason to NOT to spec the daycab with a bigger motor. Double Standard.
And yes, I noticed that I was messing with the cruise and being distracted by it. But G_d forbid that we talk on a cell phone or read a text or try to read a qualcomm going down the road or IDLE! OMG!

The hood latches are manual, they suck, easy to pop open, but hard to close and latch, getting them to catch is the key, took me forever to get the hang of it, once your used to it its all good.
Not a good design to be sure, especially being new. Maybe with time passage it will improve.

Once they get worn in a bit,they are alright...I just lean on the fender a bit downward...all is good!

I'll take my Volvo over a Freightshaker any day...

If your talking about sleeper trucks.......HAVE AT IT....I my opinion for what its worth...the Volvos with the 400hp ISX with the seat console shifter and lack of space are INFERIOR to the Cascada.

I've driven both new daycab models. In all of my days I have touted the superiority of the Volvo over the Freightshaker. After the recent drives of both, I'll take the shaker, hands down! Now the Volvo is a sharper looking truck but I'd rather ride good than look good any day.

Volvo all the way. The freight liner is cheap built and built in Mexico,,The Volvo is built in the USA...I love the automatic in the Volvo its shifts as good as a 4 wheeler. There is still a bunch of tractors that needs to be replaced..BAD!!! I hope they get some more Volvo's..Freightliner's suck...

Volvo all the way. The freight liner is cheap built and built in Mexico,,The Volvo is built in the USA...I love the automatic in the Volvo its shifts as good as a 4 wheeler. There is still a bunch of tractors that needs to be replaced..BAD!!! I hope they get some more Volvo's..Freightliner's suck...

For a long time those were my exact sentiments, especially concerning the Columbias. However, after 3 weeks in this Cascadia, however, I could not be more pleased. If I could change one thing it would be the cruise button on the steering wheel. Top speed can only be achieved with the cruise on and the buttons for setting and the on/off buttons are too close together and you have to fiddle with it too much. I drove a new Volvo last week and am convinced that this new Cascadia is a superior truck. 6 months ago I would have bet the farm that I would have NEVER said that.

Im just the other way around,,I love the volvo and hate the cascadia..Everyone has there pick.
For a long time those were my exact sentiments, especially concerning the Columbias. However, after 3 weeks in this Cascadia, however, I could not be more pleased. If I could change one thing it would be the cruise button on the steering wheel. Top speed can only be achieved with the cruise on and the buttons for setting and the on/off buttons are too close together and you have to fiddle with it too much. I drove a new Volvo last week and am convinced that this new Cascadia is a superior truck. 6 months ago I would have bet the farm that I would have NEVER said that.