Ticket Loud Annoying Harleys !!

wongway

-15% Yellow step-child supporter !!
Credits
Police really need to start write tickets to loud annoying Harley's !!! its like really do we need to heard them from a mile away ??? and also maybe you want to get them tuned up , so at a stoplight they don't have to keep revving the motor to keep them running ?? you don't see a Honda having to keep revving the motor at a stoplight to keep the motor running !! :6781:

No, but when I had loud pipes on my VTX I would blip the throttle at lights. Then I would dust the Harley on take off. Loud is OK during certain hours.

Guardrail

in my state (as many others) there are noise ordinances. they (the state lawmakers) were getting calls and letters from the voters on loud motorcycles.

as i try to remember how the law is, no motorbike can have an open pipe (ie loud pipe) installed on it. all exhaust systems must be factory, not after market.

however, Harley does make a "touring muffler" that isn't all that loud, gives the "soft rumble".

it goes by the decimal level as to how loud the exhaust is, then if too loud, you get a ticket.

some cities and towns have a decimal meter, while other "measure" the sound level from say one telephone pole to another......and that ticket sticks just as much as the ticket from a meter...(this is also how some punks get nailed for noise with the car radios cranked way up)

The bad part of summer. My local watering hole has the bikers in the summer. Occasionally there is the considerate one that has decent pipes.
And when he leaves, lets the bike idle and just putts away. Not like the rest of the other obnoxious *******s. Have to rev the bikes with the straight
pipes and take off like a wildman. Big bravado. Not impressive

Kinda like the owner operators with the straight pipes.
Cant tell you how many times in the tunnels on the PA Pike those idiots have to gas it then jake brake
just to hear the noise echo.

Cant tell you how many times in the tunnels on the PA Pike those idiots have to gas it then jake brake

Huge pet peeve of mine.I was on my way to work last week,driving in a 35 mph zone,while coming up to a light,this chip hauler comes up beside me (coming to a stop light) wearing out the jake brake.Bad part about it,he was empty..It makes you want to jump out and ask what the hells your problem,rookie??Man,he was cool.(sarcasm)

Huge pet peeve of mine.I was on my way to work last week,driving in a 35 mph zone,while coming up to a light,this chip hauler comes up beside me (coming to a stop light) wearing out the jake brake.Bad part about it,he was empty..It makes you want to jump out and ask what the hells your problem,rookie??Man,he was cool.(sarcasm)

So now we are not supposed to use a Jake brake when empty? I always did. I hardly ever used my foundation brakes. Of course, I outgrew the loud pipes stage years ago. The truck I have now, doesn't even have a Jake brake.

Guardrail

I've always avoided even riding my Harley at night, never even ridden it to work (nights) but, during the day, while people are texting, talking, or otherwise have their head up their ass...they WILL hear my exhaust....loud and clear!!

The bad part of summer. My local watering hole has the bikers in the summer. Occasionally there is the considerate one that has decent pipes.
And when he leaves, lets the bike idle and just putts away. Not like the rest of the other obnoxious *******s. Have to rev the bikes with the straight
pipes and take off like a wildman. Big bravado. Not impressive

So it's just the Harley riders making noise? none of the *** bike lookalikes make noise? I have to question your statement. I guess none of those "sport
" bikes go by at 100 mph and scare the crap out of you, just the Harleys huh?

I ride, but not a Harley. I do believe that increasing the awareness of those in cages certainly increases our safety. However, please realize there are plenty of people in cages that can't stand us, and there are plenty of bikers out there that aren't helping our cause. Loud pipes save lives. Obnoxious pipes are exactly that, obnoxious. Harley's don't sound good to anybody but other Harley owners.

I ride, but not a Harley. I do believe that increasing the awareness of those in cages certainly increases our safety. However, please realize there are plenty of people in cages that can't stand us, and there are plenty of bikers out there that aren't helping our cause. Loud pipes save lives. Obnoxious pipes are exactly that, obnoxious. Harley's don't sound good to anybody but other Harley owners.

And you know this how?

No mind game, you made the comment, I gave you the opportunity to try it with a head start... Only being fair to you.... Like they say put up or shut up.....

Last edited by a moderator:

And you know this how?

Not certain which part you are questioning but I'll take a guess as it's the only statement presented as fact instead of opinion that I could imagine somebody disagreeing with.

"Harley's don't sound good to anybody but other Harley owners"

If you bought anything with a motor except a Harley and it sounded like it was going to rattle apart, could barely idle, was vibrating like crazy and then created barely enough power to get out of its' own way, you would swear something was wrong with it and take it back to a mechanic and insist they fix it. Instead the H-D culture has accepted the fact that a V-twin with a common crank pin with cylinders set at less than a 90* angle is cool sounding.

Do you think marketing research by other manufacturers lead to producing models attempting to imitate the H-D sound by going backwards 50 years in their technology just because?

Not certain which part you are questioning but I'll take a guess as it's the only statement presented as fact instead of opinion that I could imagine somebody disagreeing with.

"Harley's don't sound good to anybody but other Harley owners"

If you bought anything with a motor except a Harley and it sounded like it was going to rattle apart, could barely idle, was vibrating like crazy and then created barely enough power to get out of its' own way, you would swear something was wrong with it and take it back to a mechanic and insist they fix it. Instead the H-D culture has accepted the fact that a V-twin with a common crank pin with cylinders set at less than a 90* angle is cool sounding.

Do you think marketing research by other manufacturers lead to producing models attempting to imitate the H-D sound by going backwards 50 years in their technology just because?
So you don't know anything it's just your opinion, I mean if you can give me a link to some real facts I
I might agree other than that it's your opinion and we all know what they are like