TForce | Time for a reality check, Bezos style.

You're right, I was but that doesn't mean I am wrong. By the way, I tapped out after Apostolic put his foot down. But before I go, embedded in the new contract language is something that you might want to remember.
https://teamster.org/news/2018/06/n...ct-weekends-package-car-drivers-address-issue
The number of 22.4 Combination Drivers will not exceed 25 percent of the total number of RPCDs in your building. If the company needs additional drivers for Saturday or Sunday work, RPCDs will be offered first and forced last and will make the Supplemental overtime rate if applicable. If the Saturday and Sunday volume increases to the extent that RPCDs must consistently work those days, the union and UPS may adjust the 25 percent to avoid the RPCDs being required to work those days.
What does If applicable mean? Under certain circumstances, can UPS force you to work the weekends and only pay regular wage? Does the 9.5 rule come back to bite you in the ass?

Do you really think that UPS is going to "adjust" the 22.4 numbers to keep RPCD's home, on the weekends? And why is it going to take one of the most anal number crunching company in the world up to 2 years to move RPCD's back to a Mon/ Friday shift?
RPCDs that are working a Tuesday through Saturday shift now will be moved back to a Monday through Friday shift within 18 months. If the RPCD was hired recently, specifically for a Tuesday through Saturday shift, the company has a maximum of 24 months to move them to a Monday through Friday shift.

Here's another little gem.
...In the event that your building utilizes 22.4 Combination Drivers, current Package Drivers, referred to in the agreement as Regular Full-time Package Car Drivers (RPCD), will be protected from replacement by 22.4 Combination Drivers or any part-time cover driver as allowed in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum. No RPCD can be laid off or displaced from their classification while any 22.4 Combination Drivers are working in the building....
So, if a 22.4 driver is laid off, then who works the weekend? If the company needs additional drivers for Saturday or Sunday work, RPCDs will be offered first and forced last.

And finally, this article raises some serious questions about just how good this contract proposal is.
http://www.tdu.org/hoffa_s_sales_pitch_for_two_tier_hybrid_drivers

But what the hell do I know about union contracts. Good luck. With Hoffa and his monkey men negotiating for you, you're gonna need all the luck you can get. Tapping out.
All that applies to package guys. This is the freight site. We're the black sheep of the UPS family. We don't have an agreement yet. We're just an afterthought.

What are the actual issues on the table?
There are a lot of issues, including protection from excessive overtime, and a new job classification (hybrid) that would work both the dock and make deliveries. A nice touch in the language (for me) also paves the way for these hybrid employees to progress to full time regular package car drivers.

My only question is...was the language clear enough regarding percentages of both numbers of hybrid employees and volume of freight to avoid UPS hiring only hybrid drivers and phasing out the RPCDs? That remains to be seen.

The reason I'm wary of that happening is the hybrids make quite a bit less than the delivery drivers. Could be a ploy to create a second tier of lower-paid employees under the guise of a new employee classification.

Other issues include a possible (rumored) shortening of the four-year progression (a huge issue for me currently), increasing the pension, healthcare changes, and a raise.

They claim to have it all hammered out, so now we're just waiting to see the contract itself.

There are a lot of issues, including protection from excessive overtime, and a new job classification (hybrid) that would work both the dock and make deliveries. A nice touch in the language (for me) also paves the way for these hybrid employees to progress to full time regular package car drivers.

My only question is...was the language clear enough regarding percentages of both numbers of hybrid employees and volume of freight to avoid UPS hiring only hybrid drivers and phasing out the RPCDs? That remains to be seen.

The reason I'm wary of that happening is the hybrids make quite a bit less than the delivery drivers. Could be a ploy to create a second tier of lower-paid employees under the guise of a new employee classification.

Other issues include a possible (rumored) shortening of the four-year progression (a huge issue for me currently), increasing the pension, healthcare changes, and a raise.

They claim to have it all hammered out, so now we're just waiting to see the contract itself.
That parcels contract if voted in will further erode strength and solidarity within UPS teamsters by letting management pit brother against brother animosity with the difference in pay scale. Basically creating a semi non-union division and Teamsters should be ashamed negotiating for it. Give them weekend warriors tues-sat,wed-sun schedules but equal pay scale so no bitching about money. The union body would back this up too, but our crack negotiators are too busy trying to come up with something IN THE COMPANIES FAVOR. Our UPS freight contract oughta be something special. SMH ‍♂️

That parcels contract if voted in will further erode strength and solidarity within UPS teamsters by letting management pit brother against brother animosity with the difference in pay scale. Basically creating a semi non-union division and Teamsters should be ashamed negotiating for it. Give them weekend warriors tues-sat,wed-sun schedules but equal pay scale so no bitching about money. The union body would back this up too, but our crack negotiators are too busy trying to come up with something IN THE COMPANIES FAVOR. Our UPS freight contract oughta be something special. SMH ‍♂️
You're right. I don't know why the company claims to need this new job classification. The regular delivery people could just be given Monday through Friday, Tuesday through Saturday, and Wednesday through Sunday schedules.

On the one hand, I like that a dock worker could increase his pay by going up to this hybrid position; however, I also see it as a way for the company to delay people in getting to become an RPCD.

I'm still going through the contract. If there is some form of limitation on how much dock work vs. delivery work can be done, then it's of some benefit to the employee. But if they are just having them go out and do their full shift as delivery drivers, then it's a second-tier, lower-paid employee.