TForce | time off for kids graduation

hardway

TB Lurker
Credits
I have heard that some of our drivers have been denied vacation time to attend thier kids graduations? There is to many drivers already off on the dates needed with more seniority. So what is a driver to do? miss the graduation or call in sick? Why can" managment just say have a great graduation and we will cover your run? I would take care of my drivers 1st if i was in managment!

hardway said:
I have heard that some of our drivers have been denied vacation time to attend thier kids graduations? There is to many drivers already off on the dates needed with more seniority. So what is a driver to do? miss the graduation or call in sick? Why can" managment just say have a great graduation and we will cover your run? I would take care of my drivers 1st if i was in managment!

I'm not sure how Big O handled these situations but I do know how UPS does . This will not be the 1st or last time you are expected to put your job before your family .

I simply use one of my sick days and if I catch any lip from managment I file a harassment grievance and that usually ends the discussion .

It's a whole new company so " Get that brown blood pumping " ...

Nobody should miss their child's graduation. That said if you had planed ahead, and scheduled a day off when vacation sheets were turned in a problem might have been avoided. And then there are a few jack ass TM's that just don't have any common sense.

dvr49 said:
upsguy1970. Thats a B/S statement. If it were true why are you working for them?

Because he can call in sick , not miss his kids graduation , and not have to worry about losing his job or being harassed about it !!!!

Your quality of life has nothing to do with whether or not your boss is a jerk ! It's your ability to do what's right for your family without being hasseled when you work for these clowns .

It's really too bad that it comes to things like this but it's a fact of life in this business that companies(any company) do not care what you may have going on outside of work hours.
Once you hit their clock, they own you for up to 14 hours and there isin't much that can be done about it.
Most TMs I've worked for have tried to work with employees in situations like that but there are no guarantees.

You try to do the right thing and give them advance notice but it only backfires on you.
Your best thing to do if it's a day you must have off is to call in sick.

dvr49 said:
Nobody should miss their child's graduation. That said if you had planed ahead, and scheduled a day off when vacation sheets were turned in a problem might have been avoided. And then there are a few jack ass TM's that just don't have any common sense.
All Schools are different. I am still waiting for my daughters graduation day date. I WILL NOT MISS IT!!!!

dvr49 said:
upsguy1970. Thats a B/S statement. If it were true why are you working for them?
If you think any large corporation cares about you think again. Its all about the bottom line.$$$$$ Unless it will bring bad publicity to the name of the Co. You are nothing.

dvr49 said:
Do you really believe any of these Companies care about anything other than the bottom line? If so you must be fairly new at trucking. If they could make robots that could drive, we'd all be looking for work.

I never seen a bigger bunch of worry worts. Yea its the share holder bottom line, and I'm one of them. Bring them robots on. Somebody has to fix them might as well be me.

dvr49 said:
I never seen a bigger bunch of worry worts. Yea its the share holder bottom line, and I'm one of them. Bring them robots on. Somebody has to fix them might as well be me.
It won't happen that way.....without a Union Contract they'd probably train illegal aliens to repair the robots for less money and no benefits.

stldude44 said:
Do you really believe any of these Companies care about anything other than the bottom line? If so you must be fairly new at trucking. If they could make robots that could drive, we'd all be looking for work.

It's funny you mention robots stldude, I was watching a show on Discovery Channel today called Extreme Engineering. They did a segment on the super sized container ships that are being built today.
There is one ship that visits Hamburg Germany on it's regular route and the camera crew met them there.
The Hamburg port is almost all automated. The gantry operators lift the containers off the ships and put them onto automated trucks them drive them to staging areas where they are lifted off those trucks by automated cranes which stack them in the right areas in the yard.
The entire system is run by computers and sensors in the ground. Every container is tracked at every point in the yard. The automated trucks even know when they are getting low on fuel and they drive themselves to the fuel pumps.

It really was pretty amazing to see all this. I would have never thought that such a labor intensive job could be turned over to robots.

Maybe out of topic. Even in the military the ships are running on auto pilot. You do not need a helmsman anymore just someone to reach the touch screen and punch in the new course.

Boats said:
Maybe out of topic. Even in the military the ships are running on auto pilot. You do not need a helmsman anymore just someone to reach the touch screen and punch in the new course.

Hey my boat is the same way, just need a lookout to avoid in water obstacles.

I have a daughter thats going to her senior prom. My personal business is just that, personal. I don't say boo about anything. So when the day comes, bingo out sick. The thing here is that I hardly ever take days off. So I don't feel bad when I do. The guys that are out constantly are the ones to worry. They will be starting to keep a close eye on this, as well as tardy. The warning letters are about to fly.

Boats said:
Animo try being a lookout in the Baltic Sea during winter time.:nutkick:
Been there, done that........How bout a typhoon in the South China Sea, you get the idea where I was.