Time off from OTR

Bramdombrwn1984

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm new to this, haven't even gotten my CDL but am looking into getting into the business. I was wondering how does hometime work with most companies? Like do I get to pick what days I'm off? Say for example, if there are 3 days in particular that I need off, I stay on the road long enough to earn those 3 days off in a row, what are the chances of me being able to request those days off and being able to get them? Oh also might I ad they're lets say a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday?

I'm new to this, haven't even gotten my CDL but am looking into getting into the business. I was wondering how does hometime work with most companies? Like do I get to pick what days I'm off? Say for example, if there are 3 days in particular that I need off, I stay on the road long enough to earn those 3 days off in a row, what are the chances of me being able to request those days off and being able to get them? Oh also might I ad they're lets say a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday?
freight's gotta move. you MUST ask for time off at least 2 weeks IN ADVANCE, then hope and pray you actually get it.

this is not a 9 to 5 daily job. crap happens,. you "could be" on your way back home, and something urgent commes up, like another driver quits or has an accident, and YOU are closer than any other driver, YOU GET ELECTED to take that load.

in the end, the freight HAS to move.

if you are going to be wanting the same days off, each month, or weekly, best you find another line of work.

OTR (or back in my days) was known as...LONG HAUL.....and YOU STAYED OUT, and got home when you could.

when you get enough experience and seniority, maybe THEN you can get home more easily, like i used to. but you ain;t gonna get what you want, right out of the box.

I'm new to this, haven't even gotten my CDL but am looking into getting into the business.
WELCOME TO TRUCKINGBOARDS!!

Everything pro1driver said plus (I'm Blunt):

First is your "WHY".
What's so terrible about your current or past avocation (employment) that Trucking appears a solution?
Do you have Friends you enjoy being with as well Activities you Love?? Kiss those Goodbye.
Do you have a Family? You'll rarely see them and communicating by text and/or phone is all it'll be when not home.
Are you living with Your Parents or Relatives?

Do you have a Criminal record as in a Recent D.U.I., Felony/Felonies, other Criminal matters, Speeding/Racing Tickets/Convictions?? ANYTHING NEGATIVE on Your Criminal/Driving Record from 7-10 years out may well eliminate you before you begin.

If you like to Absorb Alcohol, Smoke or Eat Marijuana, Mess with Meth, Use Oxycontin or other Drugs like High Speed Chicken Feed (uppers), take Acid or P.C.P., STAY FAR AWAY FROM TRUCKING in ANY form and know this: a Hair Follicle Drug Test goes back at least 6 months.

I was wondering how does hometime work with most companies?
Normally (or used to be) OUT 6-7 DAYS FOR 1 DAY OFF AND Home Time Request(s) usually AFTER 7-10 days Out, so 3 weeks out for 3 days OFF, however, like at JB Hunt and MANY other companies, NO MORE than 4 days OFF regardless of Time ON THE ROAD. Some Companies, during Driver TEAM Training, REQUIRE a MINIMUM 3 Weeks O.T.R. which means You DO NOT GET TO GO HOME FOR 3 WEEKS (although there's a probability you can slide BY THE HOME to get important needed items) but usually NOT 24 HOURS AND BRING AT LEAST $200.00+ as You'll be able to pick up other needed items like FOOD and WATER.
DO NOT EAT AT TRUCKSTOPS!!

Like do I get to pick what days I'm off?
NO!!
O.T.R. does recognize "choosing YOUR Days Off"!!

UNLESS YOU'RE A OWNER DRIVER, THE CHOICE IS NOT YOURS!!
Trucking is not a Unemployment/Unemployable solution. It's not a Babysitting service although, sadly, it strongly, nowadays, appears as such. Dispatchers will NOT "Hold Your Hand".
You have to "PAY YOUR DUES" for the first 12 to 18 months as well paying off your Student Loan, however with some companies having this goofy "Driver First" crap (Celadon and others), maybe you'll be able to "work something out" but not from the beginning and DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING "recruiters" TELL YOU. They're paid to "tell you what you want to hear" and simply warm Driver seats.

Trucking is completely different than say, a 0600 to 1600 job.

This ain't Construction or Warehousing.
You will be EXPECTED/REQUIRED TO DRIVE 11 HOURS and if you cannot comply, DO NOT APPLY.

Say for example, if there are 3 days in particular that I need off, I stay on the road long enough to earn those 3 days off in a row, what are the chances of me being able to request those days off and being able to get them? Oh also might I ad they're lets say a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday?
Those days are going to be near IMPOSSIBLE to allow. FREIGHT RUNS BEST FROM MONDAY TO FRIDAY.
You want 3 of those days OFF??:lmao:
Do Not Got Into Trucking.

You will NOT survive the First Year IF You even Survive the Orientation.
Then there's the "signed contract" to Train You to Drive AND It's NOT free (12-18 month PAYBACK as stated earlier).
Anywhere from $4,000.00 to $8,000.00 for most Driver Training Schools and Trucking Company Training comes out of your Mileage Pay so you might very well start at rock bottom Mileage Pay, like $.28 C.P.M. or lower.

Maybe You'll Become another Trucker, Maybe Not.
If you're still interested check www.pumpkindriver.com or your local
State Employment Office.

Keep US Updated!!
CHEERS!!

Last edited:
Guessing Bramdombrwn1984 was scared off.
frankly, that's what might have happened. for far too long, so many simply will not accept what has to be said, unless it is what they want to hear.

if it is all lies, sugar and spice and everything nice, we serve no actual purpose to one's questions, regarding this industry.

i feel it is best to be upfront, and not sugar-coat what's out there.

If you need to be home on certain days ?
It's best to do line haul or local
Otr is pot luck at best