New Penn | Time to take a stand.

I'm surprised nobody commented on the caveat in the voting that New Penn votes separate from the rest of the Teamsters.
I've heard 2 things on it..One is that when we were sold to Roadway something was legally written in that keeps us seperate and 2 we are a 'me-too' deal...meaning that when the contract is negotiated we just go along with what the Teamster negotiating committee (or whatever) negotiates...but i don't really know the truth..

Caveat, the third-person singular present subjunctive of the Latin cavere, means "warning" (or more literally, "let him beware", "let her beware" or "let it beware"); it can ...

This all SUCKS........... more than anything and my A$$ hurts but let me just share a few of my thoughts. I have been layed off and just came back to work. Let me tell you it isn't fun and I want to keep working. forget about retirement. I have so many god dam bills i will never catch up. if this goes down we will have our pride and our contract but about all we will be able to do with it is wipe our a$$es with it because we will NEVER EVER have another teamster job and may not get a job period. and let me tell you. what non union company is going to hire a teamster? the one that pays you $14/hr with medical you pay for and 3% 401K match if your lucky.....that's who. so puff your chest out fight for nothing by voting no. ARE YOU CRAZY...... this entire country is giving back. just read the news. everyone think FEDEx is so GREAT. They are laying off 1700 employess and closing terminals. You going to go work there. I read the agreement in its entirety and i will take the chance. they are still going to pay me. i will still have my medical and i will get something in my pension. compared to what i have been going through that sounds wonderful.

I know what you mean Brother. However, if everyone just rolls over because they have bills and are scared, we won't ever survive. I'm laid off so I know what you are going through.

I've heard 2 things on it..One is that when we were sold to Roadway something was legally written in that keeps us seperate and 2 we are a 'me-too' deal...meaning that when the contract is negotiated we just go along with what the Teamster negotiating committee (or whatever) negotiates...but i don't really know the truth..
We were a "Me Too" Before Roadway bought us. Which means exactly what it says, Whatever the rest vote we would go along with. This is totally different than the NMFA New Penn was a sepratley owned company then. And just my opinion but, As I posted on a seperate thread its a tool to divide and conquer. Get ready for the "We will absorb you into YRC" line. And if they could do that they would have done it long ago and gotten rid of the bunch of us.

This all SUCKS........... more than anything and my A$$ hurts but let me just share a few of my thoughts. I have been layed off and just came back to work. Let me tell you it isn't fun and I want to keep working. forget about retirement. I have so many god dam bills i will never catch up. if this goes down we will have our pride and our contract but about all we will be able to do with it is wipe our a$$es with it because we will NEVER EVER have another teamster job and may not get a job period. and let me tell you. what non union company is going to hire a teamster? the one that pays you $14/hr with medical you pay for and 3% 401K match if your lucky.....that's who. so puff your chest out fight for nothing by voting no. ARE YOU CRAZY...... this entire country is giving back. just read the news. everyone think FEDEx is so GREAT. They are laying off 1700 employess and closing terminals. You going to go work there. I read the agreement in its entirety and i will take the chance. they are still going to pay me. i will still have my medical and i will get something in my pension. compared to what i have been going through that sounds wonderful.

Remember :popcorn: what ever you give up now you will NEVER get it back YRC will never pay the full amount into the pension and your hourly wage will mostly take ten years just to get where ABF [still under the real NMFA] is today :popcorn: You say you are behind on your bills :popcorn: most likely you won't catch up on those either.. Face it we have been dealt a losing hand...When you vote,look around,do what ever is best for your family,because your decision will affect them as much as yourself...

Remember :popcorn: what ever you give up now you will NEVER get it back YRC will never pay the full amount into the pension and your hourly wage will mostly take ten years just to get where ABF [still under the real NMFA] is today :popcorn: You say you are behind on your bills :popcorn: most likely you won't catch up on those either.. Face it we have been dealt a losing hand...When you vote,look around,do what ever is best for your family,because your decision will affect them as much as yourself...

Well, I hear you and thanks. that is what this comes down to. My family and my vote counts for them also which is why I have to give this a chance. Just I have been asking myself a few questions over the last 2 days. it seems you can't trust anyone any more. I know I can't trust the company but if I can't trust what my union and BA are saying then I need to get out of here. I have to trust the union. they tell me YRC doesn't have the money to pay full pension. they have seen it and obviously from all the earnings releases and postings on the internet, they don't have the money. I don't think YRC has millions sitting in a bank somewhere that no one knows about. I can't believe this has been a 3 year conspiracy by my union..... the same union that gets my dues and doesn't want to go out of business. IF YRC doesn't have the money, then what good does it do for me to vote NO? If they don't have the money, there is no chance for a better deal other than the one we have. Like I said....it sucks, but I want to keep working and hope for a better day.

the one that is very encouraging to me is that we will now have 2 union members on a board of 9. Isn't that what we always wanted....some say in running this company? Because they are on the board, they will have access to all the books and the "true" numbers. if this can turn around as they say, then perhaps that gives us some great bargaining power in 2015 to get back some of what we lost?

Why does Teamster's not negotiate an agreement that is fair to both sides? Why is it we are locked in until 2015, and Yellow is getting all the benefits. Not trying to be a Teamster basher here, but, lets face it. We all know the economy is going to turn around, and instead of locking us in for 5 years with useless snap back language, why do we not negotiate a performance based contract. Where is our future. If YRCW starts to make a profit then Teamster Members should start to receive some of that in the form of increased wages and pension contributions. This agreement is more about the survival of YRCW and The International Brotherhood of Teamsters than it is about any one of our futures. Remember my brothers and sisters under this coporate umbrella, you are the reason New Penn has been so successful. Be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished. Don't let this corporate thug beat us down. There are plenty of jobs out there for quality drivers such as yourselves. There is a world outside of this cesspool known as YRCW. Don't be afraid to visit it. We all may be better in the long run.

Dozer

I've been employed at Roadway and now YRC since 1988. I have watched as YRCW destroyed a decent place to work just as all the brothers and sisters at ALL the other operating companies have. And make no mistake this proposal stinks, but does anyone truly believe that voting no will result in a better offer! Auditors from BOTH the International and the banks (the real owners) have come up with this and it is the LEAST the can be done to give YRCW (that means all the operating companies) a chance for survival. THERE IS NO PLAN B TO BE VOTED. NO means no job for everyone BELIEVE IT.

I did visit it and the grass on that side of the street is browner than this side. Don't get me wrong..... but if you are used to having some seniority here, you will be the low man on the todem pole there. and that is if you are lucky enough to get that $14/hr job. This whole thing sucks dick............... I did ask my BA about the 2015 thing because I couldn't agree more with you...... Why can't we wait another year and see what it is then before taking a 4 year deal. I am certainly no expert at all the financial crap but he said that in order for YRC to get new money investment, the people putting up the bucks need some assurance that the plan is long term. in other words, they will put up the millions, but only if they see a 4 year or better plan. made sense to me even though I don't like it. you know....there is a whole bunch I don't like here......... but I am off to work in an hour or so and I thank GOD for that.

I understand there is pressure for certain things from lenders. But a five year deal is hard to accept, Keep in mind there will be a new CEO and next year Hoffa has an election where there may be a new IBT President if they have fresh ideas we are locked into this. And what happened to equal sacrifice? The agreement says the company has to LOOK at ways to reduce the non-union pension funding. So while we agree to rules that will help them cut the labor, Keep wage reductions in place and wait till JUNE 2011 for a PARTIAL PENSION CONTRIBUTION. Managment gets contributions towards their pension? Seems like half the new work rules are thrown in there as a slap in the face. My last question is why do we need to vote on this before they release the third quarter earnings?

This is very hard to take,very hard. Today in Trenton the TM of 20 plus years retired. Steve Gast, the president of New Penn stoped by to wish him well. We were able to talk to him for awhile. Here are a few facts: New PENN is only 3 % of YRC's revenue, a pimple on their ass. The banks have YRC up against the wall. We were told that there will be only 1 vote this time. If YRC votes no, they will declare bankrupcty and if New Penn votes no, they will close New Penn for good and we will all be out of a job. Let me see, WHO IS HIRING and how much are they paying???? Do you know any trucking company who is hiring and do you get a vacation? Good luck on your vote.

The only stand you will be taking is in......... standing in the unemployment line........ One vote....that's all they are giving us.......

This is very hard to take,very hard. Today in Trenton the TM of 20 plus years retired. Steve Gast, the president of New Penn stoped by to wish him well. We were able to talk to him for awhile. Here are a few facts: New PENN is only 3 % of YRC's revenue, a pimple on their ass. The banks have YRC up against the wall. We were told that there will be only 1 vote this time. If YRC votes no, they will declare bankrupcty and if New Penn votes no, they will close New Penn for good and we will all be out of a job. Let me see, WHO IS HIRING and how much are they paying???? Do you know any trucking company who is hiring and do you get a vacation? Good luck on your vote.
I feel for everyone who now must rely upon a single vote to determine the course of the rest of their lives. I work for YRC in Chicago 21 years with Big R before $bill. I have doubts that this will pass. However I have NO doubt that if it doesn't there is NO plan B. It is sad that even if New Penn votes yes if YRC votes no it is all over for EVERYBODY.

Voting NO!!! not once did anyone tell them to come back with a better plan!! we gave them a 4 year deal already! now they want more... let them start paying the 25% as soon as the vote is done! why wait until june next year to pay?? why? just so u get screwed out of pension. you all may as well just decertify from the union!!!!

What did you think the President of New Penn would say?

Good morning to all my brothers and sisters at New Penn. We are going to be given a chance in the very near future to voice our opinion on the current state of affairs. I have always been and will continue to be a NO vote. I don't believe in giving any concessions ever, once you do they just keep on asking. I am a third generation Teamster, my people have always been union people. What they fought for in the past to give us the contract we had can never be repaid. The current administration in D.C. seem to not understand what they are doing. They are simply destroying the greatest contract old man Hoffa ever negotiated. We as a company have struggled through the tough times and have managed to return to profitability. The rest of the regionals have managed to do the same as well. How can a little group such as ours run from coast to coast faster the national and come in claims free. We have competent management, not all of them but most of them. YRC cannot and will not be allowed to shut us down, we are the only positive cash flow they have. I say we take a stand this time let's stick together and tell them no more.

Proverbs 16:18
18 Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.

pride will be the death of us all (YRCW)...

I know what you mean Brother. However, if everyone just rolls over because they have bills and are scared, we won't ever survive. I'm laid off so I know what you are going through.
I don't think scared is the right word.. Wise could be put in there.. It's choice. I could work non-union. I've done it before. and I hated t..Living years of hating every minute sucks...And they will take every minute at somne places. And not pay ya for them all either, As as matter of fract they may not pay for a lot they require and their ain't nothing your gonna do about it...At them palces they do what they want...I think alot of guys never worked non union sicne high school...and have no idea what it is....they're in for a rude awakening...Forever. I wish it was different and ya could be like ABF at a company that you know is not in trouble...but we just did the reverse split and it starts at like $6/share or so.....and I've seen it go down to below a dollar in no time at this place...it ain't like rebelling against a company who is making it..they are not.......no matter what happens they will blame the union.

Fear doesn't drive me. I can handle the non union jobs...I just hate them and you have no votes and no say ever. So many company guys against ya on top of the bosses..That's a terrible life. Misery, pure misery. Then ya learn fear of the bills coming in.