Yellow | Tired of hearing about the 15%

JleDqT4.jpg

Am I the only one who just wants to punch him in the face??
I doubt it..

I don't think anyone needs to be a rocket scientist to understand that workers at a profitable company stand a better chance of a wage increase than workers at a less profitable company. Having said that, why would anyone with more than half a brain want to sabotage the company and hurt their profitability by "screwing" the company any chance they get? Oh that's right, it makes anyone doing that feel good about "getting back" at the company. Yes-siree, nothing like shooting yourself in the foot. Pure genius!
Sabotage? No, my view is all about value. If you value my work @ say, 20 bucks an hour, I will give you 20 bucks an hour. If you value my work by giving me more money or better benefits, a week’s vacation after 6 months, then I will give you more value. It all about perception. The value a company places on its workers today is less than 30 years ago. So to me, I don't sabotage my employer, I give him the value he is willing to pay for. Perception by an employee of his job & the environment surrounding him, & how he is treated by his or her supervisors to me, is directly related to their output or effort in their job. Norma Rae, the movie & the true story came about by the way she was treated in the work force. Do unto them as they have done unto you. von.

Sabotage? No, my view is all about value. If you value my work @ say, 20 bucks an hour, I will give you 20 bucks an hour. If you value my work by giving me more money or better benefits, a week’s vacation after 6 months, then I will give you more value. It all about perception. The value a company places on its workers today is less than 30 years ago. So to me, I don't sabotage my employer, I give him the value he is willing to pay for. Perception by an employee of his job & the environment surrounding him, & how he is treated by his or her supervisors to me, is directly related to their output or effort in their job. Norma Rae, the movie & the true story came about by the way she was treated in the work force. Do unto them as they have done unto you. von.

Hey Von, these are the words you used in your earlier post, the ones I was responding to. I didn't make them up, you said them...
It was voted in. Quit your bitchin. The Smart worker gives 15% less. Slow down that truck or forklift. Less accidents. Write down or enter things a lot slower, less mistakes, less letters. Turn the tables on them. Allow your ulcer to heal by being happy. How do you do that? F**k em. von.

"The smart worker gives 15% less". Is that not a form of sabotage, deliberately slacking off? Don't give some crap about what you personally think your labor is worth, it's worth exactly what the agreement says it is, no more no less. If you believe you're worth more than you're currently getting how come you're not working somewhere where they'll pay you that rate? We all know the answer don't we.

"How do you do that? F**k em". Is that not another form of sabotage you're suggesting? You own words show you're a bit of a BS artist. Once again, don't hand me some pompous dissertation about what you think you deserve and why you're working slower. Your opinion of what you're worth is a figment of your imagination, nothing more.

The 15% isn't ever going away as long as veteran employees are still there. Hell we have it in giant letters on the union board in our break room for all to see.
Everyday it's a topic of conversation that I welcome and most others do also.
-15,000 a year is tough to say I'm good with out it

If some of the people at 309 moved any slower they would be checked for a pulse.

Hey Von, these are the words you used in your earlier post, the ones I was responding to. I didn't make them up, you said them...

"The smart worker gives 15% less". Is that not a form of sabotage, deliberately slacking off? Don't give some crap about what you personally think your labor is worth, it's worth exactly what the agreement says it is, no more no less. If you believe you're worth more than you're currently getting how come you're not working somewhere where they'll pay you that rate? We all know the answer don't we.

"How do you do that? F**k em". Is that not another form of sabotage you're suggesting? You own words show you're a bit of a BS artist. Once again, don't hand me some pompous dissertation about what you think you deserve and why you're working slower. Your opinion of what you're worth is a figment of your imagination, nothing more.

Not only do I stand by what I said, I will say this ' If you complain all the time about where you work, then resign your position with your employer & go work somewhere you might complain less'. Does this sound callus, hard, & with no heart.? Yes it does. But I will say it again; you or a majority voted to give back part of your value, to keep the company open so you would not have to look for work @ 55 years of age. So live with it or seek employment elsewhere. No one I am aware of makes you work there. Yes everybody was between a rock & a hard place during that vote. But where was the union solidarity that a Teamster is known for. Where was the picket line demanding more money instead of taking less? The Verizon employees walked a picket line for 6 weeks to achieve better money & benefits after working a year without a contract. Did they achieve value with their employer? Only they know. But they chose the hard way to try to achieve that value. Based on their new contract they did gain pay & benefits instead of a cut in wages & benefits. Be safe out there. Von.

Last edited:
Not only do I stand by what I said, I will say this ' If you complain all the time about where you work, then resign your position with your employer & go work somewhere you might complain less'. Does this sound callus, hard, & with no heart.? Yes it does. But I will say it again; you or a majority voted to give back part of your value, to keep the company open so you would not have to look for work @ 55 years of age. So live with it or seek employment elsewhere. No one I am aware of makes you work there. Yes everybody was between a rock & a hard place during that vote. But where was the union solidarity that a Teamster is known for. Where was the picket line demanding more money instead of taking less? The Verizon employees walked a picket line for 6 weeks to achieve better money & benefits after working a year without a contract. Did they achieve value with their employer? Only they know. But they chose the hard way to try to achieve that value. Based on their new contract they did gain pay & benefits instead of a cut in wages & benefits. Be safe out there. Von.

Von, you and I are in total agreement about someone complaining all the time. I agree with you, if someone doesn't like the conditions or the pay then they should man up and go get something better. I congratulate anyone who has found something better for himself and left. As far as the people who voted "yes" to the concessions, I personally believe it was better to keep one of the last major Teamster jobs going than to risk having it shut down. You and others can disagree but the majority voted that way. Over the years I've worked at 16 different Teamster LTL companies since the early 1970's. Of that 16, only 2, ABF and New Penn, are still around as they originally were. Carolina got absorbed into ABF, Roadway and Yellow became YRCF, and all the others I once worked at, Maislin, CF, St. Johnsbury, Eastern Freightways, Walsh, Holmes, Ryder-PIE, CEX, Pilot, Cooper-Jarrett,etc., are all gone. Today LTL is heavily non-union. What would be gained by forcing YRCW into bankruptcy and possibly closing down so many Teamster jobs? This is not the 1970's anymore. It sucks to take cuts like we did but considering the possible alternative I still think it was the better choice. Also, comparing Verizon to YRCW is foolish. There's no comparison between the two - in terms of financial strength or anything else. And one more thing, speaking just for myself, I have no problem finding work - in LTL or anywhere else. That's not why I would have voted "yes" to the concessions. Be safe also and have a good weekend.

Back during the Labor Wars in the Coal & Trucking Industries from 1930 thru 1960 the overriding consensus of the rank & file was to fight for better wages & benefits. People lost their homes & their lives striving for something better. And yes there was give & take on both sides. But rarely if @ all did the union worker give up wages & benefits to keep the company afloat. By giving up wages & benefits I believe it set the tone for companies to come after the workers demanding less so they can have a job. To obtain & keep a CDL is not easy. And with all the regulations facing a driver even tougher. Come contract time @ YRC employee’s get to make a choice. Do I vote in a sub-standard contract, or do I walk a picket line for more. With no qualified replacements to replace thousands of drivers, the company will close the doors or accept your demands for better wages & benefits. Only time will tell what you decide. Von.

Back during the Labor Wars in the Coal & Trucking Industries from 1930 thru 1960 the overriding consensus of the rank & file was to fight for better wages & benefits. People lost their homes & their lives striving for something better. And yes there was give & take on both sides. But rarely if @ all did the union worker give up wages & benefits to keep the company afloat. By giving up wages & benefits I believe it set the tone for companies to come after the workers demanding less so they can have a job. To obtain & keep a CDL is not easy. And with all the regulations facing a driver even tougher. Come contract time @ YRC employee’s get to make a choice. Do I vote in a sub-standard contract, or do I walk a picket line for more. With no qualified replacements to replace thousands of drivers, the company will close the doors or accept your demands for better wages & benefits. Only time will tell what you decide. Von.

Times have changed, this is not the 1930's or the 1960's. Fighting back then was against companies that were profitable but were not sharing the wealth and we also weren't competing against non-union jobs. Things are different today and the thinking has to adapt. Trying to use 1930's tactics in 2016 is doomed to failure. In YRCW's case we know the financial situation, it was reviewed by the IBT also. They are squeezed because of dumb decisions made by previous management. What would forcing them to shut down do for us? The trucking slack would be picked up by the non-union companies to a large degree, not other Teamster jobs like in the past. There's a time to stand tough and a time to stand down. We need to be smart and be able to decide when to do each so we don't shoot ourselves in the foot IMHO.

Von, you and I are in total agreement about someone complaining all the time. I agree with you, if someone doesn't like the conditions or the pay then they should man up and go get something better. I congratulate anyone who has found something better for himself and left. As far as the people who voted "yes" to the concessions, I personally believe it was better to keep one of the last major Teamster jobs going than to risk having it shut down. You and others can disagree but the majority voted that way. Over the years I've worked at 16 different Teamster LTL companies since the early 1970's. Of that 16, only 2, ABF and New Penn, are still around as they originally were. Carolina got absorbed into ABF, Roadway and Yellow became YRCF, and all the others I once worked at, Maislin, CF, St. Johnsbury, Eastern Freightways, Walsh, Holmes, Ryder-PIE, CEX, Pilot, Cooper-Jarrett,etc., are all gone. Today LTL is heavily non-union. What would be gained by forcing YRCW into bankruptcy and possibly closing down so many Teamster jobs? This is not the 1970's anymore. It sucks to take cuts like we did but considering the possible alternative I still think it was the better choice. Also, comparing Verizon to YRCW is foolish. There's no comparison between the two - in terms of financial strength or anything else. And one more thing, speaking just for myself, I have no problem finding work - in LTL or anywhere else. That's not why I would have voted "yes" to the concessions. Be safe also and have a good weekend.

I was lucky to work for only 1 company, ABF. Talking with my fellow employees over the years, they had to move because of closings. Lost 3 weeks vacation & much more. Preston, Transcon KB, CF, PIE, AL Van, OK, were some of these companies they worked for. And the reason was the Pension Fund which I am a benefit of now. They kept bouncing around to have something when 60. I did not become a Teamster until I went to work for ABF in 1998. I tried before but you had to work casual with only hope of being hired. And the timing wasn't right. So whatever time I have drawing my pension I will not complain. And I know it is going to be cut or run out of money. I won't like it but it is coming & I will prepare for less. 1 person working for 5 retired. Easy math. Something will have to give. Last contract I would tell anyone who would listen 'Pay the Rate or Lock the Gate'. I voted no then & would vote NO now if allowed. Not one company that it employees voted to give back to help their company gave back to the rank & file what they gave up for the good of the company. Just saying. von.

What city at Holmes?

Times have changed, this is not the 1930's or the 1960's. Fighting back then was against companies that were profitable but were not sharing the wealth and we also weren't competing against non-union jobs. Things are different today and the thinking has to adapt. Trying to use 1930's tactics in 2016 is doomed to failure. In YRCW's case we know the financial situation, it was reviewed by the IBT also. They are squeezed because of dumb decisions made by previous management. What would forcing them to shut down do for us? The trucking slack would be picked up by the non-union companies to a large degree, not other Teamster jobs like in the past. There's a time to stand tough and a time to stand down. We need to be smart and be able to decide when to do each so we don't shoot ourselves in the foot IMHO.
Not an easy choice.

Muddog, are we talking about the same company? Holmes in NJ was primarily a New England carrier. I don't recall them serving the South but I could be wrong.

holmes_transportation_mack_u_model_sml.jpg
I was thinking the same thing. They ran Tx/ Ok/ Mizz down here. Very small outfit, but Teamster none the less. I didn't think they ran northeast down here