To all the drivers in NYC and Boston

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,
Today I had a pretty hard route for me in the city and I thought about it more and to all you guys in New York City and Boston, I don't know how you do it, I honestly don't know, but you get all the credit in the world from me that's for sure.

I hear that, and the pay is not enough in my opinion.

Hi guys,
Today I had a pretty hard route for me in the city and I thought about it more and to all you guys in New York City and Boston, I don't know how you do it, I honestly don't know, but you get all the credit in the world from me that's for sure.

for a few weeks, leading up to my injury, i had to make a regular nightly delivery in the south end of Boston, known as "Southie".....(delivered to the same place each night)

narrow streets, and a 53 foot trailer. many one way streets, many "no trucks over 2 tons allowed" streets.

oh yeah, and when in Boston, and "they" decide to do road work or utility work of any kind..??

the detour signs are sometimes out, sometimes not.....and when they are out..??

let's just say that for a 53 foot trailer...and you drive up to the construction and have virtually no way out....

you wish at that point and time...

you were a bingo hall ball caller....

glad i'm out for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
for a few weeks, leading up to my injury, i had to make a regular nightly delivery in the south end of Boston, known as "Southie".....(delivered to the same place each night)

narrow streets, and a 53 foot trailer. many one way streets, many "no trucks over 2 tons allowed" streets.

oh yeah, and when in Boston, and "they" decide to do road work or utility work of any kind..??

the detour signs are sometimes out, sometimes not.....and when they are out..??

let's just say that for a 53 foot trailer...and you drive up to the construction and have virtually no way out....

you wish at that point and time...

you were a bingo hall ball caller....

glad i'm out for a while.

I'd have a melt down, I don't know how you do it in Boston, I really don't know how you do it.

I'd have a melt down, I don't know how you do it in Boston, I really don't know how you do it.

well since my injury back in April, i can't tell you how i did it either, cuz i'd have to kill you afterwards......(j/k)

talk about the stupid 4 wheelers, that see me coming, down a narrow street, barely wide enough for the truck, let alone another vehicle trying to squeeze by you. two of Boston's "finest" tried to......they had to pull over for me.....dumbass's

then take the winter driving in that area, i needed to be there, right (??), the streets were even NARROWER due to the lousy plowing.

then talk about the super wide, 2 right turns i had to make.

one to get onto the street i needed, then one to leave the area...

with a bar/pub on the corner of the 1st right i needed, and the street light pole RIGHT ON the corner.

then the 2nd right, with yet another pole on the corner, and ignorant acehole drivers NOT wanting to back up while i make my VERY WIDE right turn.

my solution (and it worked 1000% of the times...???)

take that turn, get right INTO thier grilles, and i do not mean the car grille either...

wanna see dumb schmucks back up then..??

i treat ignorance with size.....works every time...

a road test i once took at an LTL company...???

same thing, took a turn wide, as this is after all New England.....with a 53 foot trailer......got into the grille of the driver....

passed the road test.....was there for over 6 years...!!!

oh and by the way, i forgot to mention in my above posting...

in Boston, street parking IS allowed, on BOTH sides...

rememeber what i said about winter and the lousy plowing.>??

add into the fray parked cars...

i know i didn't, but can you imagine the side swiping that can happen on such a narrow street(s).....??

trust me, i was literally burried in my mirrors each and every night during the winter..

first of all, i have to ask...

why on God's good earth, did our customer move there..????

simple (perhaps), bigger building, but no one EVER thinks about the trucks.

oh sure the dumbass warehouse manager said, "we can get our trucks in and out of there....

yeah...ready for this one..??

all class B,, 6 or 8 wheelers......

oh and by the way, i forgot to mention in my above posting...

in Boston, street parking IS allowed, on BOTH sides...

rememeber what i said about winter and the lousy plowing.>??

add into the fray parked cars...

i know i didn't, but can you imagine the side swiping that can happen on such a narrow street(s).....??

trust me, i was literally burried in my mirrors each and every night during the winter..

first of all, i have to ask...

why on God's good earth, did our customer move there..????

simple (perhaps), bigger building, but no one EVER thinks about the trucks.

oh sure the dumbass warehouse manager said, "we can get our trucks in and out of there....

yeah...ready for this one..??

all class B,, 6 or 8 wheelers......

Those old docks and cities are all built for Class B trucks. In fact where I live (Cleveland,Ohio) some of the companies have slightly started to give up I think. I see more and more 10 wheelers out on the road everyday. In fact the state liquor warehouse has a few 10 wheelers, because they have stores where it's easier to just take a 10 wheeler to it and unload then even attempt to take a tractor trailer to. Coca Cola here has quite a few side loader straight trucks. The route I had today I was in a 16 bay and it was okay, however Budweiser pulled up behind me in a 20 bay and I thought in my head "no thank you." Not for where we were and where we have to go.

Those old docks and cities are all built for Class B trucks. In fact where I live (Cleveland,Ohio) some of the companies have slightly started to give up I think. I see more and more 10 wheelers out on the road everyday. In fact the state liquor warehouse has a few 10 wheelers, because they have stores where it's easier to just take a 10 wheeler to it and unload then even attempt to take a tractor trailer to. Coca Cola here has quite a few side loader straight trucks. The route I had today I was in a 16 bay and it was okay, however Budweiser pulled up behind me in a 20 bay and I thought in my head "no thank you." Not for where we were and where we have to go.

you mean you drive something like this..???

Pepsi%20Cola%20Minges%20Bottling%20Ayden%20NC%20pic1.JPG

i cannot find any pics of a 20 bay......(never mind..)

is this the 20 bay you spoke of (or a close resemblance of one)

1990-triple-b-20-bay-trailer-LG_1.jpg

i'll tell you what too....i'd be bottoming out those trailers at 2 of my stops.....driveways go down steep, then one comes back up, and i have to go into the street, then back into the door....talk about getting hung up.....

Exactly a 20 bay is the only tandem axle side loader trailer there is. Trust me it's a tight squeeze in some of these gas stations and convenient stores. That Pepsi truck is pulling a 16 bay 8 bays on each side those are a tad easier to get around. Those side loaders are what I drive. Where I work we also have bulk trucks, the side loaders run in the towns and cities, some out in the country, but mostly the cities and urban areas and the bigger bulk trucks run in the rule areas. Like the guys who pull 28's and 38's and 40's usually run out in the less populated areas.

Budweiser though has a lot of 20 bay side loader trailers, where I work we only have 2, but Budweiser runs a lot of 20 bay trailers.
The thing about Budweiser is they don't have a ton of different products, but they move a ton of volume. There very well represented and they have all the major brands, Bud Light, Yuengling, Michelob, Busch, Natural Light and the rest. Budweiser does a real good job of marketing signs, billboards the whole nine yards.

Exactly a 20 bay is the only tandem axle side loader trailer there is. Trust me it's a tight squeeze in some of these gas stations and convenient stores. That Pepsi truck is pulling a 16 bay 8 bays on each side those are a tad easier to get around.

we have a huge pharmaceutical company here, CVS....they are always hiring...(what does that tell you)...anyway's.....yeah, driving into strip malls, downtown areas with again...53 footers.....no convenience stores, or gas stations, but strip malls are a nightmare as well.

we have a huge pharmaceutical company here, CVS....they are always hiring...(what does that tell you)...anyway's.....yeah, driving into strip malls, downtown areas with again...53 footers.....no convenience stores, or gas stations, but strip malls are a nightmare as well.

We've got CVS pharmacy here to based out of Wood-socket, RI, I had to deliver beer and wine to one yesterday. The lot was tight although not awful I got there early in the morning, but yeah some of those stores can be a real gas I bet. We have a few in down town Cleveland don't know how they deliver there.

store deliveries: you know there is trouble when the back door has no door bell and the door is full of black marks from drivers kicking it...

store deliveries: you know there is trouble when the back door has no door bell and the door is full of black marks from drivers kicking it...

or when you get there in the winter time, and the stairs are covered in either snow or ice, sometimes both. no one cares about the fact that we need those stairs. one time, at one of my stops, that was the problem. i called the boss, and told him if i fall, i'm going to sue. he said, go onto the next stop, screw'em...

next night.....fully cleared, and fully salted....and every night since (during the winters)

Come deliver in Western PA and Pittsburgh, Mike. This was in Washington, PA about 2 years ago with my former company. Backed in off a narrow 2 lane.

I ask directions one time while in Boston. The guy keep telling me something about the fork in the road, only fork sounded more like an obscene word about a sexual function.