Yellow | To retire or not???

I am doing the same. Retiring. Before this upcoming contract. I hope.
(if I don't retire I will vote)
I hope within the next few months. I'm planning on it. But you never know what te future has in store. Even a few months.
But. Yes. Retire if you can. Or want to.
That's the only advice I can give.
I too would like to hear from some who have recently retired and how they are doing. I do know 2 that have at my barn in the last month.
I'm not waiting until I'm 65. Or 66.
I'm 62 with 31 years and 4 months.
I won't gain anything pension wise. Couple bucks over a four year period I figured is not worth it.
I've sent for the paperwork.

I am doing the same. Retiring. Before this upcoming contract. I hope.
(if I don't retire I will vote)
I hope within the next few months. I'm planning on it. But you never know what te future has in store. Even a few months.
But. Yes. Retire if you can. Or want to.
That's the only advice I can give.
I too would like to hear from some who have recently retired and how they are doing. I do know 2 that have at my barn in the last month.
I'm not waiting until I'm 65. Or 66. I won't gain anything pension wise. Couple bucks over a four year period I figured is not worth it.
I've sent for the paperwork.
Just make sure you got your health benefits covered either by a spouse who still has healthcare through their employer or a retiree health care plan if your pension plan offers it. You can't get Medicare until 65 unless disabled, and Obamacare AIN'T cheap! STAY HEALTHY!

Just make sure you got your health benefits covered either by a spouse who still has healthcare through their employer or a retiree health care plan if your pension plan offers it. You can't get Medicare until 65 unless disabled, and Obamacare AIN'T cheap! STAY HEALTHY!
That's covered. I'll have to pay a minimal amount to keep what I have until 65.
Its what others have done and are doing. Then at 65 I'll switch over. My wife already has disability benefits. (she is younger than I). It was an important factor.

I would not have retired at 54, had PIE not folded.
Being at top of the board, 5 weeks vacation, run anywhere and most any time, I was not willing to start over.
PIE treated new hires and old alike, a new guy could get a summer vacation his first year, if not covered up
with freight, you got off about anytime you wanted, it was an easy place to work.
I miss the old days and fun times, but never regretted not going back to work.
On the other hand, when CS goes broke, I may change this post.

I did what your not suppose to do. I took my Social Security at age 62.
Ya. That's what I am trying to figure out.
Rough math says I'll lose 80 grand in the 4 years I wait.
But who knows how long they will live?
No one. May go at 68 after collecting for less than two years.
But then again I may live to be 80.
Its a tough decision to make.

Ya. That's what I am trying to figure out.
Rough math says I'll lose 80 grand in the 4 years I wait.
But who knows how long they will live?
No one. May go at 68 after collecting for less than two years.
But then again I may live to be 80.
Its a tough decision to make.
I figured it out before I made my decision. Seems I would break even around age seventy, and then start losing money. By taking my Social Security at age 62, I am now totally debt free at age 67.

I figured it out before I made my decision. Seems I would break even around age seventy, and then start losing money. By taking my Social Security at age 62, I am now totally debt free at age 67.
That's a good place to be.
I've told my wife I'd like to take it now.
It would add to our income and push us past an edge of worrying about finances.
But she insists I wait.
But I know my body. It's used up more than she thinks. After all the years being beat up by trucks and lift trucks it's old tired and used up.
She just says I'm full of ::shit::! Lol.

Have to add. She's a pretty smart woman. And I admit smarter than I am. When it comes to planning. She's good.

That's a good place to be.
I've told my wife I'd like to take it now.
It would add to our income and push us past an edge of worrying about finances.
But she insists I wait.
But I know my body. It's used up more than she thinks. After all the years being beat up by trucks and lift trucks it's old tired and used up.
She just says I'm full of :::shit:::! Lol.

Have to add. She's a pretty smart woman. And I admit smarter than I am. When it comes to planning. She's good.
I take it then that she took care of the light fixtures at your house? At least that’s what she told Wong and I on thanksgiving when you got up to get us another drink....

Just as a side note and I posted this once before. The cost of things like vehicles and homes are really going up depending on where you live. A one bedroom apartment in Albuquerque averages about $1,000.00 a month. The basic F-150 pick-up I bought new in 2002 for $19,000.00, now costs over $30,000.00. Junk looking homes are going for over $100,000.00. What will it be like ten or fifteen years from now??

Health is $200 a month for my wife and I through Central States.

That's a good deal. Cost me about $500 a month for healthcare from Central Pa. which quickly doubled after Obamacare came in. Took my SS at 62. Retired 9 years ago and haven't worked a day since. Retired debt free, no car payment, no credit card debt, no mortgage. Would have been tough otherwise.