Yellow | To retire or not???

Just as a side note and I posted this once before. The cost of things like vehicles and homes are really going up depending on where you live. A one bedroom apartment in Albuquerque averages about $1,000.00 a month. The basic F-150 pick-up I bought new in 2002 for $19,000.00, now costs over $30,000.00. Junk looking homes are going for over $100,000.00. What will it be like ten or fifteen years from now??
I'm selling my brick home and moving into a paid off home.
(that's my problem. Retiring and moving at the same time. Try that! It's gonna kill me)
Only payment I have will be utilities and a truck payment.
And I put less than 20 on that. It was used. From a dealer. No frills pickup.
Just as a side note and I posted this once before. The cost of things like vehicles and homes are really going up depending on where you live. A one bedroom apartment in Albuquerque averages about $1,000.00 a month. The basic F-150 pick-up I bought new in 2002 for $19,000.00, now costs over $30,000.00. Junk looking homes are going for over $100,000.00. What will it be like ten or fifteen years from now??
My home will be paid off.
And I would never buy a "new" vehicle.
Only bought one new car in my life.
Never again.
I don't regret it. I still have it.
But I'd rather let someone else pay for the "new" part.
Lol.

That's a good deal. Cost me about $500 a month for healthcare from Central Pa. which quickly doubled after Obamacare came in. Took my SS at 62. Retired 9 years ago and haven't worked a day since. Retired debt free, no car payment, no credit card debt, no mortgage. Would have been tough otherwise.
This post pretty much sums it up. Keep in mind a pension and SS raises are not going to keep up with inflation.

Last edited:
I retired August 2017 and never looked back. FIRST OF ALL....have all your financial affairs in order and be debt free. I am holding off until age 70 on my SS. CS Retire insurance is $100 a month and the coverage is equal to what we had as an active member. I drive for our Local High School and work 33 hours a week and is permissible under CSPF. The IBT has some great retiree plans on their website, go check it out before buying any others. Main ingredient in this, is to be debt free and don't spend your time worrying about something you have no control over!

I retired August 2017 and never looked back. FIRST OF ALL....have all your financial affairs in order and be debt free. I am holding off until age 70 on my SS. CS Retire insurance is $100 a month and the coverage is equal to what we had as an active member. I drive for our Local High School and work 33 hours a week and is permissible under CSPF. The IBT has some great retiree plans on their website, go check it out before buying any others. Main ingredient in this, is to be debt free and don't spend your time worrying about something you have no control over!
Great advice. Thanks

When I joined the IBT, I expected to be able to draw $2500 @ month from CSPF, and $1500 @ month from SSI for $4,000 at 62. With CSPF doomed, I’m also not planning to draw SSI until 70/ max it out (while it lasts), and to keep working until then. If Congress bails out the PGBC, that will then be $3300 from SSI, and $760 from PGBC and I’ll still get the same $4,000. My employer keeps us on their insurance for Any Age, as long as we are Full Time Employees. That’s gold, one of the Cadillac Plans...

Long as I’m satisfied with my job (which I am), and have my health (which I do), I may not retire until 75 or so! Who knows.... My Dad retired three times; was too bored to not be working. If I retire, I’ll probably go be a WalMart Greeter.... :1sm364jumpbed::17142::lmao:

When I joined the IBT, I expected to be able to draw $2500 @ month from CSPF, and $1500 @ month from SSI for $4,000 at 62. With CSPF doomed, I’m also not planning to draw SSI until 70/ max it out (while it lasts), and to keep working until then. If Congress bails out the PGBC, that will then be $3300 from SSI, and $760 from PGBC and I’ll still get the same $4,000. My employer keeps us on their insurance for Any Age, as long as we are Full Time Employees. That’s gold, one of the Cadillac Plans...

Long as I’m satisfied with my job (which I am), and have my health (which I do), I may not retire until 75 or so! Who knows.... My Dad retired three times; was too bored to not be working. If I retire, I’ll probably go be a WalMart Greeter.... :1sm364jumpbed::17142::lmao:

I can get you a good deal on a stepladder, same as mine! :hilarious:

OMG, those poor kids! :hide: :hilarious:

Good luck on your plan, at 75, I'd rather be sitting on a John Deere than sitting in A KW.
Should you take the Walmart job, be very careful, I'm sure you remember what happened to me!

pbNtEmq.jpg

I’m not retired, but would rather be at work than doing this .....

Good luck on your plan, at 75, I'd rather be sitting on a John Deere than sitting in A KW.
Should you take the Walmart job, be very careful, I'm sure you remember what happened to me!

Back when I was 75 I didn't mind sitting in a KW, or a Volvo, as long as it had satellite radio, auto-shift trans, lane departure alerts, and cruise control! If it veered out of the lane the buzzing woke me up from my nap. :bgroovy: