R&L | To those who cry!

Bigmanoncampus

TB Lurker
Credits
Listen i am pretty new to this board, but i can't take this. I understand this is to voice your complaints, which i totally agree with but holy sh*t! why do some of you work for r+l if you hate this place so much? this is trucking, not the pta. for the most part this is a man's industry, and i have met some of the women drivers who have more sack then you guys. times are tough now i agree. this isn't the only industry affected by the economy. from head to toe our company is under pressure to make sure you have customers to go to. does anyone want to be a salesmen right now? how about a dispatcher who gets a gsds at 2pm and they close 4pm and no driver within an hour and a half of the area. how about a outbound supervisor who just lost 2 lanes on his outbound that were his extra lines out, but gets slammed 3 days a week with freight that can fill those lanes and scrambles for 3 hours trying to find a terminal to cover it. inbound supervisor who had 15 drivers but now only has 12 but the same amount of bills to move and 2 less dock workers to get drivers out on time. we all have the crunch right now and we are in uncharted territory as a company. never have lay-offs ever been handed out. linehaul drivers you have the stones to whine to me about not getting paid $25 for a stop you made when my buddy is sitting home hoping for the phone to ring. get a life would you. if you are owed money talk to the tm, but you know what, maybe think before you speak. because i will tell you this drivers have a tough job agreed but so does everyone else at your terminal. i don't think anyone is just sitting there collecting pay checks anymore. linehaul drivers actually have it the easiest on a driver end you fight boredom in the same run everyday and driveng at night and bad weather that's what you deal with. give me a break! P+D drivers deal with complaints, dispatchers, difficult freight and now more pressure to try and sell r+l when there is no business to boot. drivers get paid the best for a reason, take care of the equipment and take care of the customer. have some pride would you. i have bad days like anyone. do all of you just complain about management, it sounds like none of you have ever had a good supervisor because he asks you to work. ever wonder what a supervisors day is like? ever think maybe a tm's job is more then handing out write-ups, maybe some of them were fighting to keep a few of you on instead of laying you off. it sounds like a lot of you don't like being told what to do, if that is the case move to management. i did and i learned a very important lesson, someone else is still your boss and still tells you what to do. i would rather be a lowely dockman then the one to tell a guy on saturday morning that he has to run because he is the only one with hours left. you guys think that is an easy thing to do? do you think the guy making that call doesn't sit around the rest of the day not thinking that he ruined a weekend, and we all know how much we enjoy our time away from r+l. i am not die hard r+l all the way, but they pay me to do a job and i enjoy what i do. if you can't stand r+l then you won't be able to take it anywhere else, so you should just leave the industry all together. we have to work together to make this a better company not cry about what's not done. so here is my whining take it as you wish.

Quit sucking up,we all know whats going on. You just seem to think that everything is all peachy. You can stay bent over with your pants down,some of us are pulling our pants up. After the first of the year you will see alot more changes and alot more people leaving. We are all trying to hold on because of the holidays. If you are a P&D driver you should be able to stay here,they are slowly out sourcing our line haul runs to outside companies. I hear that they are going to put line haul on the clock after the first of the year,can you say pay cut? This will no longer be a trucking company,just a pick up and delivery company. What is going happen when the economy picks back up and those outside companies can make more per mile somewhere else? They make get someone to haul the freight,but you get what you pay for. I do not want to see this company go under,but someone is trying really hard to put it there.------Just a reminder,fuel is cheaper now than it has been in awhile. If we were doing good before fuel went up what has changed now that it back down. They are cutting cost and corners ever where they can,some people believe that we have already been bought out. I personally don't but all the signs are there. All those that have seen or been through a buy out or shut down know what I'm talking about. For now just hang in there and do what you can,but please don't tell me to not say anything about what I'm seeing

Listen i am pretty new to this board, but i can't take this. I understand this is to voice your complaints, which i totally agree with but holy sh*t! why do some of you work for r+l if you hate this place so much? this is trucking, not the pta. for the most part this is a man's industry, and i have met some of the women drivers who have more sack then you guys. times are tough now i agree. this isn't the only industry affected by the economy. from head to toe our company is under pressure to make sure you have customers to go to. does anyone want to be a salesmen right now? how about a dispatcher who gets a gsds at 2pm and they close 4pm and no driver within an hour and a half of the area. how about a outbound supervisor who just lost 2 lanes on his outbound that were his extra lines out, but gets slammed 3 days a week with freight that can fill those lanes and scrambles for 3 hours trying to find a terminal to cover it. inbound supervisor who had 15 drivers but now only has 12 but the same amount of bills to move and 2 less dock workers to get drivers out on time. we all have the crunch right now and we are in uncharted territory as a company. never have lay-offs ever been handed out. linehaul drivers you have the stones to whine to me about not getting paid $25 for a stop you made when my buddy is sitting home hoping for the phone to ring. get a life would you. if you are owed money talk to the tm, but you know what, maybe think before you speak. because i will tell you this drivers have a tough job agreed but so does everyone else at your terminal. i don't think anyone is just sitting there collecting pay checks anymore. linehaul drivers actually have it the easiest on a driver end you fight boredom in the same run everyday and driven at night and bad weather that's what you deal with. give me a break! P+D drivers deal with complaints, dispatchers, difficult freight and now more pressure to try and sell r+l when there is no business to boot. drivers get paid the best for a reason, take care of the equipment and take care of the customer. have some pride would you. i have bad days like anyone. do all of you just complain about management, it sounds like none of you have ever had a good supervisor because he asks you to work. ever wonder what a supervisors day is like? ever think maybe a tm's job is more then handing out write-ups, maybe some of them were fighting to keep a few of you on instead of laying you off. it sounds like a lot of you don't like being told what to do, if that is the case move to management. i did and i learned a very important lesson, someone else is still your boss and still tells you what to do. i would rather be a lowely dockman then the one to tell a guy on saturday morning that he has to run because he is the only one with hours left. you guys think that is an easy thing to do? do you think the guy making that call doesn't sit around the rest of the day not thinking that he ruined a weekend, and we all know how much we enjoy our time away from r+l. i am not die hard r+l all the way, but they pay me to do a job and i enjoy what i do. if you can't stand r+l then you won't be able to take it anywhere else, so you should just leave the industry all together. we have to work together to make this a better company not cry about what's not done. so here is my whining take it as you wish.

Well,according to you drivers may work hard but it seem you think supervisors work harder.Apparently you forgot what it is like out here.My dispatcher is always trying to compare himself to us.When ever I say there goes another lunch break he says I had to work through lunch too.I say sure but when you try to eat at your desk its not moving down a back road and 70 feet long.I think that management does tend to forget exactly how hard it is to be a city driver if they ever had any clue to begin with.I am fortunate to have a somewhat decent T/M and my dispatcher is competent enough to make him bearable but I have had many idiots in those same positions.I always remember one thing,I have worked at plenty of trucking companies with no supervisors or office personnel but I have yet to see a trucking company that can operate without drivers.

Listen i am pretty new to this board, but i can't take this. I understand this is to voice your complaints, which i totally agree with but holy sh*t! why do some of you work for r+l if you hate this place so much? this is trucking, not the pta. for the most part this is a man's industry, and i have met some of the women drivers who have more sack then you guys. times are tough now i agree. this isn't the only industry affected by the economy. from head to toe our company is under pressure to make sure you have customers to go to. does anyone want to be a salesmen right now? how about a dispatcher who gets a gsds at 2pm and they close 4pm and no driver within an hour and a half of the area. how about a outbound supervisor who just lost 2 lanes on his outbound that were his extra lines out, but gets slammed 3 days a week with freight that can fill those lanes and scrambles for 3 hours trying to find a terminal to cover it. inbound supervisor who had 15 drivers but now only has 12 but the same amount of bills to move and 2 less dock workers to get drivers out on time. we all have the crunch right now and we are in uncharted territory as a company. never have lay-offs ever been handed out. linehaul drivers you have the stones to whine to me about not getting paid $25 for a stop you made when my buddy is sitting home hoping for the phone to ring. get a life would you. if you are owed money talk to the tm, but you know what, maybe think before you speak. because i will tell you this drivers have a tough job agreed but so does everyone else at your terminal. i don't think anyone is just sitting there collecting pay checks anymore. linehaul drivers actually have it the easiest on a driver end you fight boredom in the same run everyday and driveng at night and bad weather that's what you deal with. give me a break! P+D drivers deal with complaints, dispatchers, difficult freight and now more pressure to try and sell r+l when there is no business to boot. drivers get paid the best for a reason, take care of the equipment and take care of the customer. have some pride would you. i have bad days like anyone. do all of you just complain about management, it sounds like none of you have ever had a good supervisor because he asks you to work. ever wonder what a supervisors day is like? ever think maybe a tm's job is more then handing out write-ups, maybe some of them were fighting to keep a few of you on instead of laying you off. it sounds like a lot of you don't like being told what to do, if that is the case move to management. i did and i learned a very important lesson, someone else is still your boss and still tells you what to do. i would rather be a lowely dockman then the one to tell a guy on saturday morning that he has to run because he is the only one with hours left. you guys think that is an easy thing to do? do you think the guy making that call doesn't sit around the rest of the day not thinking that he ruined a weekend, and we all know how much we enjoy our time away from r+l. i am not die hard r+l all the way, but they pay me to do a job and i enjoy what i do. if you can't stand r+l then you won't be able to take it anywhere else, so you should just leave the industry all together. we have to work together to make this a better company not cry about what's not done. so here is my whining take it as you wish.

i agree with most points in this post, i thibnk its truely time for everyone to pull on there big boy pants and do what you were hired to do, no matter what color your truck may be

Quit sucking up,we all know whats going on. You just seem to think that everything is all peachy. You can stay bent over with your pants down,some of us are pulling our pants up. After the first of the year you will see alot more changes and alot more people leaving. We are all trying to hold on because of the holidays. If you are a P&D driver you should be able to stay here,they are slowly out sourcing our line haul runs to outside companies. I hear that they are going to put line haul on the clock after the first of the year,can you say pay cut? This will no longer be a trucking company,just a pick up and delivery company. What is going happen when the economy picks back up and those outside companies can make more per mile somewhere else? They make get someone to haul the freight,but you get what you pay for. I do not want to see this company go under,but someone is trying really hard to put it there.------Just a reminder,fuel is cheaper now than it has been in awhile. If we were doing good before fuel went up what has changed now that it back down. They are cutting cost and corners ever where they can,some people believe that we have already been bought out. I personally don't but all the signs are there. All those that have seen or been through a buy out or shut down know what I'm talking about. For now just hang in there and do what you can,but please don't tell me to not say anything about what I'm seeing

fuel is cheaper but the bill count is down in south and midwest. we aren't bringing in as much as were last year. that's why their trying to save money in all sorts of new places.

One more quick point, depending on how long these economic times last will also determine who's left. Conway is already closing terminals, OD has made cutbacks as well. Then you have the new YRC! If R+L makes it through these tough stll making a profit that will be the defining factor in where we will stand among the largest trucking companies. And to anyone who thinks R+L will sell off, if they were going to do that then the time was when they opened California. But you also have to remember, R+L is now a brand name, that is recognized by the trucking company, if they lose the trucking company they lose the brand.

These post can be depressing and cause more stress, but I will say this... my check is there every friday morning when I get back from my linehual run and it has never bounced... I have worked for companies were my check has bounced and could not get a replacement ever. Look at all these post??? R&L employs thousands of people there are only a hand full here week after week. Please stay focused on your task and be thankful your not the guy on the corner with the cardboard sign.

cheaper fuel is bad for LTL

its a misconception that this is good for LTL. Most if not all LTL profits for the last few years has come from Fuel Surcharge via continually escalating fuel prices. Carriers hedge their fuel, usually buying 6 months in advance. Increased prices in fuel meant big profit which led to the ability to discount much higher. Now fuel prices are in steep decline and carriers are getting killed because there is no more profit in fuel and with the pricing out there the freight by itself does not pay the overhead. A lot of LTLs that are used to posting pre tax operating ratios in the 90-95 will be over 100 for the 4th quarter and it will be very ugly. :TR10driving03:

Well said Ben........

Does any LTL company properly charge customers for the freight moved..

Base rate-86% discount=Peanuts

New Ford Fusion $25,000-86%discount=$3500.00 give me five of them

Get real,Do you honestly beleive that? You need to seriously step back from the punch bowl. It amazes me that so many people on here see things so differently. The most recent fuel surcharge I've seen here is 18.5%. With the trucks and terminals paid for,where is all the overhead. Check out a line haul manifest to see how much that load is making. Granted the revenue is down some,but there is still plenty of profit there,even without the surcharge.

linehaul on hourly rate? i hope so i would average about a 200 dollar raise just from setting at jms waiting on shrevesport and lafayette plus cutting trks back can i say SHOW ME THE MONEY