Today I saw a real live gang member!

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Delivering beer in the hood as they say can come with it's share of ups and downs. Usually it's alright, why today I got to see a real live gang member. He was a member of the notorious bloods gang. I can tell because he had a blood red baseball cap on.

He spoke dialect of what I think was English I couldn't really understand the words coming out of his mouth. What he was asking me was if I had any beers I could just pull out of the side loader and give to him. I said "I'm sorry, but that's against the rules, you'll have to go inside of the convenient store." He said "Dats Cooeew."

A couple Fridays ago another gang member walked into one of the local fine corner store establishments I go to wanting to know where the $0.50 beers were. Keep in mind this was all around lunch time no less ha-ha!

Probably not so much, but do you food guys get people walking up asking you if you can just sell them a case of Steak Ums or a block of cheese or bucket of Ice Cream right out of the back of the food service truck?

Ewww Ewww by the way to all you GFS drivers thank you for your service one of the products you deliver is block Provolone Cheese. I go to GFS store and buy the entire block for $25 or so it's the best cheese for cooking with. My mommy made a lasagna with Provolone Cheese, from the block and it was delicious.

LOL, Mike your a hoot!! No one ever asks me for food, but I gotta ask you....did you call blood boy the "N" word? Tell him to get ta steppin? LOL!!!

Oh, and your mommy? I call Dianna that and she wants to choke me, but I say it in a real seedy way, with a low tone, "oh mommy", she wants to kill me and throw up at the same time, I love to aggravate that woman!

It was funny I didn't even know he was talking to me it was like he was trying to talk without moving his chin. I don't know what the hell kind of dialect he was speaking, it just sounded like a slew of words, for a minute because he had his cell phone out I thought he was talking to someone on the phone, turns out he was trying to communicate in his own special way to me.

I used to work for a janitorial company and I was the only white person at one of our sites and one day one of the leads told one of the cleaners that they best get to steppin! Ha!

Good times, once in a while I'll say to my mom yesum mammey and she'll go "Shut the hell up!" ha-ha!
One time mom said "You know if I ever have grand kids never, have them call me Nana, I would rather have them call me by my first name then Nana."

Every place I go to people have there Ohio Direction card out to buy food, which is why nobodies asks for food. They see a beer truck though and go "Oh maybe I can get some broken ones!"

Out side of one of my illustrious stops today there was this older man sitting besides the dumpster drunk as all get out screaming at the top of his lungs about nothing, had his transistor radio on and everything. Then he walks into the store knocks over half the potato chip rack and the store owner goes "Waylen, you can't come in here drunk like that your knocking everything over."

Ok, so did you call gang boy an N or were you skeered? You know he might pull out his gat and point it at you sideways, cuz thats cool, no worries, they can't hit nothin...dumb asses.

Oh no not me. I was very nice and respectful Mike J isn't looking for any trouble. I politely said I can't sell you anything it's against the rules. I wasn't looking to get shot over a case of Old English. I was skeered you could say :smile:

The Royal's run has me all confused. The crips in town have worn the hats for years, now that they're winning everyone has one and I can't tell who's who...
Used to deliver in questionable areas all the time, not so much anymore. The biggest worry I had were the youngsters. Something to prove and more testosterone than brains is a really bad combination.

Ewww Ewww by the way to all you GFS drivers thank you for your service one of the products you deliver is block Provolone Cheese. I go to GFS store and buy the entire block for $25 or so it's the best cheese for cooking with. My mommy made a lasagna with Provolone Cheese, from the block and it was delicious.

I wish we had GFS stores here, old Lazlo's too cheap to spring for a Costco card. I do most of the cooking at home. My wife's family gives her hell for it but it works for us. I learned to cook really young mostly by trial and error. My Mom, God bless her, was/is a horrible cook. My Dad's even worse. Choked it down when I was young, then got old enough to start "helping" in the kitchen so I wouldn't starve to death as a teenager.
We visit a lot but don't stay for dinner very often...

I tell you what the GFS store is like the best place ever. Today we had a clam bake in the neighborhood and I was invited so what I did was ran down to the GFS store bought a big can of pudding a box of Oreo Cookies a big tray and some cream cheese and whip cream and made a big dirt cake because it's rude to go to a party without bringing anything.

I tell you what GFS must be making good money off of those stores, there the only food service company that has that, and it's got to be a day and nigh money maker for them. Every-time they open one up in Cleveland people flock to it. I have a Costco memebership, but I'm probably going to let it lapse I don't need it anymore and I find that for what I like to buy GFS has more what I want anyhow.

What I am wondering and it's probably not on their radar yet, but how long before or if and the answer could very well be never, but has Sysco thought about doing something like the GFS store? I know Mains has a retail type store that exists, but I'm sitting there wondering if Sysco is ever going to give that a shot? Sysco probably figures there to good for that kind of thing.

I'm sure Sysco is to good for that, USF has a big place in OKC, I think its geared toward Chefs. Everything GFS does makes sense, everything Sysco does makes no sense, or perfect stupid, yup, I said perfect stupid, remember I coined that bitches!!!!

You know GT I wonder, if companies like GFS who keep growing in size I mean before GFS used to be this nobody food distributor from Michigan and now they are ramping up to be Sysco's direct competitor, I mean that's pretty much there goal to be Sysco's direct competitor and you know a lot of people don't like Sysco, Sysco's expensive, they do have good selection of things and higher quality stuff then some of the reginals and more buying power so that all helps a great deal, all the big 5 star places use Sysco or US Foods. Well at least here in Cleveland all the big time 5 Star places either use Sysco, US Foods or Northern Hasserot Brandt.

Actually here in Cleveland US Foods has a lot of the big meaty juicy accounts. Sysco here in Cleveland was sharing a lot of accounts with either Northern Hasserot Brandt of Ohio which is a regional or Hillcrest which is a local and below par to Northern Hasserot Brandt.

At the same time GFS has there broad line division, but they also have this fairly big chain alliance division that operates totally under the radar kind of like Sysco's Chain division Sygma, which nobody knows a thing about. However GFS has Bob Evans and Red Robbin here in northeast Ohio. They also have the schools that do there own cafeteria. Like where I went to college the college ran there own cafeteria and GFS has that account, GFS also has my local city school system too.

Now Sysco has all of the Aramark accounts and that might be a national thing. However for a long time in the restaurant industry up here in Cleveland nobody ever heard of GFS it was always Sysco Sysco Sysco, then one day these GFS grocery stores popped up. Now GFS here in Cleveland seems to have a lot of institutions (schools and cafeterias) but I don't see them at a ton of just regular restaurants, but I know that is slowly starting to change, but here in Cleveland GFS does not have a major terminal they have a sales office, that has trucks that run doubles, but they do not have a major terminal, unlike Sysco, US Foods, Sherwood and Northern Hasserot Brandt and Hillcrest and also Peck Food Service which all have major terminals and have been around for sometime.

However, I figure 2:1 GFS probably sees all of Sysco's turmoil and figures, those guys won't be that hard to beat. I could be wrong, but it seems like there hungry and taking the ball and running with it down at GFS.

You know Satchel Paige once had a quote and he said "Don't look back because someone might be gaining on you."

I really don't understand the arrogance of Sysco, towards it's customers, customers have all kinds of choices when it comes to suppliers, yet Sysco has this "They need us we don't need them type of attitude." I mean geeze there's more food companies out there then I can count all kinds from big to small. These places have choices and yet Sysco just goes with the attitude of were the biggest fish in the sea you need us we don't need you.

As GFS puts it "The customer is king and without the customer there is no GFS."

I'm sure Sysco response to GFS's market place stores is "End user grocery stores, how barbaric."
You know on my route I go to a lot of the fancy places and I see US Foods, Northern Haserot and even GFS fairly often, now I'm not saying Sysco isn't there because I see there products at a lot of my customers, but that being said I see way more stuff from NHB, US Foods and now GFS starting to pop up then Sysco. I only know of one stop that I have that gets Sysco. However I can think of quite a few stops that I have that get delivery from US Foods and now all of a sudden GFS popping up and NHB of course, a lot of my accounts get something from NHB. However just the other day and it wasn't a shock, but it was a little bit of a surprise, but one of my 5 star places was getting delivery from GFS, not used to seeing that, so they are cutting into Sysco territory.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I delivered in Minneapolis I wanted to become friends with the gangs so I had protection in the area. That way if anyone tried to screw with me they would be like nope he's with us back the F up. Lol

GFS stores seem nice. Never been In one. When I worked at Apperts they had a store built in the warehouse and everyone stopped in there. Idk if sysco kept it open or not. I believe it's still open. But I guess that would be the only sysco store around.

Guardrail you are right. There was a lot of things that didn't make sense at GFS. Still a good company tho. But if they moved to mn I still don't think I would go back

Personally, I couldn't careless here you want a can of Old English knock your self out, but state rules and company policy dictate that can't be done, so I can't do it. I'm always nice and tell them to speak with the store owner, he's the one who can sell you the taste beverages.

Probably not so much, but do you food guys get people walking up asking you if you can just sell them a case of Steak Ums or a block of cheese or bucket of Ice Cream right out of the back of the food service truck?

When I delivered to the inner city schools, they would hop on the truck and take what they wanted, now that's gangsta.

Moore Foods had their own store here, but I think they are mostly local. I'm tempted to go into a GFS store, but it just wouldn't be proper.

I wish we had something like that, I can and do order stuff, but I got to remember to look at the number on the customer's invoice and maybe the price, or look it up on one of my pdf files that I found on the internet, but you don't get a whole lot of information from an 80 character line, certainly not the price. It would be nice if the employees had their own sales rep to talk to.