Estes | too intelligent to drive a truck

mildew

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way. I really feel belittled and wish I would have followed another path..... Just saying

I'll finish...Then retire...Then I'll get back to ya...It has been,for the most part,a good ride...I always felt I should have managed a baseball team somewhere...I love the game..

Driving was just going to be something to do until a better paying, easier job could be found. That was in 1972 and if anyone has a suggestion, I'm still looking.

Driving was just going to be something to do until a better paying, easier job could be found. That was in 1972 and if anyone has a suggestion, I'm still looking.

You and I are known as "dinosaurs" in this business now BuzzBeez...Looking forward to retirement and just making up for lost time on people I've managed to neglect..

I have a degree in computer science. I was the IT manager of a national 3rd party logistics company in 1999.

The stock market crashed. I lost everything. Went to driving school. Always intended on returning to IT. Now my education is outdated and I'm lazy. Whatever.

I have a degree in computer science. I was the IT manager of a national 3rd party logistics company in 1999.

The stock market crashed. I lost everything. Went to driving school. Always intended on returning to IT. Now my education is outdated and I'm lazy. Whatever.

That is the problem with computer stuff.... it never stops and you have to learn new stuff daily and remember it.... I know how to do stuff with directions but my memory sucks

Never would have guessed computers for you there drummerforhire. I had you pegged as an ex rock star drummer for an 80's hair band that took up trucking as a second career.

I have 4 friends that took one of those computer courses at one of those technical colleges. They don't work much and they are making plenty of money.

That's the thing. My unofficial education never ended, but my paper education would have to be dang near started over for it to mean anything today. It changes so quickly.

It was a quick downward spiral when I lost that job. I tried to find anything, but was turned down because I was overqualified. Then, overnight, I wasn't qualified anymore for the corporate level stuff that I had done for years before.

Buzz, never was into hair metal too much. I've seen the country and made a lot of money playing music, but it never hit just right. Too old to do it for a living now. It's still fun to get the call from some 20-something year olds who need a drummer for a few shows an they start talking to you about touring with them and "all that money" you could make. $400 a week is a lot to some people.

Just 2 questions while I'm off topic drummer. Did you ever tour with any big names and how much does a quality drum set run?

Never TOURED with any. I've opened for several in various cities. Recently, I played in a group that opened for Brantley Gilbert and Colt Ford. I've opened for Saliva and Nickelback before they were big.

A good setup will set you back around 1500-2000. If you're looking at buying a set for a teenager to learn on, by all means, don't skimp. If it sounds like crap, they will too.

My current road set is probably worth $5000. I've had better, but honestly, you hit a point where you can't tell a difference anymore.

I'm in posession of a relatively useless degree in English. I actually taught for a few years and languished away several more years in the public school system before I finally realized that I could make a helluva lot more driving a truck. 17yrs later, and I'm still at it. Maybe a bit worse for the wear, but I've never once looked back with any regret.

My old man was fond of saying:

"If somebody says they're street smart, it means they're stupid. If they say they're book smart, it means they're a kitty", try to find a happy medium.

Ahh, from the mouths of alcoholix!

Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way. I really feel belittled and wish I would have followed another path..... Just saying
Got a degree in computer science, worked for a major airline for four yrs. Hated the rat race and all of the corporate bs that went along with it. I started driving a truck waiting to fine something different, that was 23 yrs ago.

But let me say this. I don't feel belittled, we provide a very important service to the American public. We look down upon ourselves because the American public looks down on us because of the "few bad apples" that are among us. My father drove a truck for 42 yrs, he had a degree in engineering, never once did he ever tell me how he wasn't happy about the job choice he made, he also made sure to let me know that driving a truck was a honest and professional way to make a living, not to say he didn't try to get me into something different.

I know sometimes it is hard to keep out heads up and be proud of what we do, but please try. One thing I have always tried to keep in mind, something my father said, "If when at the end of the day, you know you have done the best that you can for you and your family, then your a honest man, doing a proud job.