R&L | Tough Times Require Tough Decisions

skinner1010

TB Lurker
Credits
In these tough economic times, all companies are faced with making tough decisions that impact a lot of people. Drivers, loaders (all employees) need to keep in mind that we do not have all the facts and information that go into whatever decision R&L's leadership is making. So no matter what you may think about the various decisions being made, I hope that you keep in mind that the company has a great track record of success and a great record of how it treats it employees. R&L is truly second to none and we should all be very proud and thankful that we work for such a great organization. In the long run, R&L will continue to thrive and we will all benefit from that.

"a great record of how it treats its employees.." wow, you think they treat you fairly? How 'bout legally? The truth is coming....

You have posted 4 responces.... In all fairness, are you new to the company..... Or have you gone in and cleared your cookies and are now "skinner1010" vs. What your previous handle was???

Are you sure you work for the same R&L Carriers that we do skinner1010? Because that is about the biggest pile of ::shit:: that I have heard in a long time. If a company were so good to it's employees, why wouldn't they at least show the team drivers the "numbers" and offer them to keep their jobs with a slight pay cut. Or the same with their regular linehaul drivers. Nobody is telling the drivers what is going on and everybody wonders from day to day if their run is going to be cut. Tell me, is that a good way to treat your long time employees that help get the company where it is today?

Perhaps it's because Skinner works in an area like I do, where none of what you describe is happening.
L/H drivers are still just doing their gigs like they always have.
Teams are running, some on the same runs, some on new runs, but nobody's been fired. Now if a team breaks up, they're not being replaced, that is true. But we've had new runs assigned to our existing teams also.

You really can't look at what's taking place in your sliver of the world and think it must be happening everywhere.

Perhaps it's because Skinner works in an area like I do, where none of what you describe is happening.
L/H drivers are still just doing their gigs like they always have.
Teams are running, some on the same runs, some on new runs, but nobody's been fired. Now if a team breaks up, they're not being replaced, that is true. But we've had new runs assigned to our existing teams also.

You really can't look at what's taking place in your sliver of the world and think it must be happening everywhere.
Very well put!!!! Things have gotten better, everyone is working, plus plenty of freight to be moved. About the only thing drivers really complain about is all the outside carriers. Spirit and Paramount are R+L companies and guys need to get used to seeing them around. I think it's the (fill in the blank) carriers that most guys have a problem with.

Part of the game

Was it a tough decision to replace around 25% of the sales staff with YRC,Holland, and Roadway people ????

If you earn your living as a sales person. You are only as good as your last month. It is part of game. They know it going into sales. If they don't they are in the wrong line of work. L/H in my area run everynight. They get out late and back late. But that problem is being worked on.

Then R & L drivers who are being replaced by outside carrriers and other compaines should not be complaining, just part of the game....... the game is this ... increase revenue......weed out unprofitable freight......lower cost......... and one of the ways to lower cost is to have outside carriers and other company people working at a lower rate and decreaseing insurance benefits.........

Then R & L drivers who are being replaced by outside carrriers and other compaines should not be complaining, just part of the game....... the game is this ... increase revenue......weed out unprofitable freight......lower cost......... and one of the ways to lower cost is to have outside carriers and other company people working at a lower rate and decreaseing insurance benefits.........
You are right but wait until the economy turns around. These outside trucking companies won't pull R&L's freight for the rate they are pulling it for now. By then, no previous driver will want to go back to R&L and I don't blame them. Remember, there is a cost for selling your soul to the devil and the Robert's family will have to deal with it someday.

You are right but wait until the economy turns around. These outside trucking companies won't pull R&L's freight for the rate they are pulling it for now. By then, no previous driver will want to go back to R&L and I don't blame them. Remember, there is a cost for selling your soul to the devil and the Robert's family will have to deal with it someday.

very well put, right now they can get away with it, but once the economy comes back and there are more jobs than drivers, they better have some tricks cause there world is going to come crashing down.