TRACTORS & Trailers

Discussion in 'New England Motor Freight' started by Black Dot, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Black Dot

Black Dot Member

Can one please tell me where all tractors & trailers are? We have p&d drivers sitting around ready to go in the morning; but one thing wrong they have no truck to drive. They have to sit & wait for the line driver to come in. At the end of the day we have drop & hooks to do but no trailers. We have to wait until the dock men strip one so we can go back out with it.
    I'm starting to think Mike Shevle is starting to put all the money in his pockets & bleeding the company dry. All of his trucks are old & he is not replacing them. At 68 there are about 20 tractors sitting in the back that he got from a company that went out of business. It just makes me wonder what is going on. He has to be making money with all we gave back. Unless he is picking freight up very cheap.

2. PhillyGil

PhillyGil Member

i work for New Penn so try to understand i'm not trying to take shots at NEMF but just like several other carriers did, NEMF brought tons of Jevic's equipment with the expectation that YRC would go out of business. during the time that this equipment was purchased, NEMF management began severly under-cutting our's and YRC's prices. fast foward to 2011, NEMF is stuck with alot of frt that's barely making any $$$ due to us, your main competitor, and YRC still in business. as a common practice, NEMF has tried to raise the rates on this frt but have been threatened by the customers that if they tried it, they would yank their frt off NEMF's trucks. over here at NP, we have old accounts that have already come back to us because of pricing and service problems at NEMF. your comment about crappy equipment is right too. i got a good friend who runs Queens who has the same complaints as you do.

3. BloodSweatandGears

BloodSweatandGears New Member

I think you're a little confused New Penn. What I remember from that time is Your company YRC over extended itself trying to create a monopoly in the trucking ind.

Fell into MAJOR dept when the economy collapsed and had to get out of dept by sleezy wall street tricks and heavy concessions by the union..

In that time the suits came to the New England Union and said 'that because of YRC operating costs have reduced due to not paying there bills and stealing from there drivers, They are reducing there rates and New England has to keep pace'.. So our union followed yours and we had to give back , So thanks for that..

As far as I know now New England wants to make money.. We dont need to show any investors or banks that we are busy, We need to move freight for profit.. If that means using older equipment and trying to get more with less thats how you save money..

You see YRC doesn't have to operate like that. they have lawyers and Wall Street tricks to rely on.. Mike S dont operate like that he runs a business the old fashion way try to stay out of dept, Get the most out or what you have and make a profit for the service you provide..

And those accounts that are coming back to you , you can keep them because we weren't making money off them , Thats why they went back to you. The only service I see Yrc paying attention to is the 7-11 and Dunkin Donut account because everytime I see a YRC truck they seem to be parked in front of those businesses...

4. PhillyGil

PhillyGil Member

see what i mean, i started out my post by not offending or dis-crediting NEMF and you wanna start taking shots at me. funny but your comment about not making money on the accounts that came back to us, well, that's your own fault. it is well known throughout the industry that NEMF's rates are very low compared to other LTL's. mind you, this was all before all the givebacks and the downturn in the economy. dont get upset with me because your company has a not-so-good reputation. once again, its your own fault. and please dont tell me about what happened to YRC, im very well versed as to what happened here so save your breath. in tems of sitting equipment, relax, you guys gambled on us going out. it was a roll of the dice and you, along with a few others, got burned and now you're paying for it but it's ok, you're surving. now make sure you dont stay parked too long in front of 7-11 or DD. we all know you guys take lunch at 6pm or later. the manager cant have have you blocking his drive way with your 48'.

5. BloodSweatandGears

BloodSweatandGears New Member

Gambled on you going out ?? The only time we cared about you going out is when we had to give all the give backs your company started... Maybe if you guys went bye-bye the industry would even out and all this give back sh-t would stop.. I have no problem with New Penn or YRC drivers they all are pretty good guys.. But stop going on boards saying WE where trying to put you guys out of business. The only people responsible for trying to put you guys out was the suits in the offices at YRC..

6. PhillyGil

PhillyGil Member

man, i sure touched a nerve with you. was it the taking lunch after 6pm comment that psst u off ? anyway, you can quote me...you guys, along with a few others, gambled big-time on us going out. also, you should re-read my posts before commenting. NEVER did i say NEMF tried to NP out of biz. adjust your reading glasses there driver. i dont take shots at people for no reason, im just stating the facts and you get all hot and bothered. FACT : you got tons of old Jevic equipment laying around. FACT : your management lowered your rates to get our frt on your trucks during the giveback period. FACT : your sales people were telling anyone one who ships frt the NP was going out of biz. if u give me a little more time i can come up with a few more FACTUAL things. anyway, it is what it is bro...take it easy and do what i do...just do your job. there is one thing that i will agree on with you...the suits at YRC are responsible for what has happened with NP, not NEMF.

7. Rodedog

Rodedog Member

Much of the former Jevic equipment is on the road, and the acquisition of said equipment happened before Yrc got in real deep do-do. The purchase of those tractors had more to do with pre 2010 emissions than any one going out of biz, and the heater trailers offer more flexibility in the type of freight that can be hauled and stored over nights and weekends.

8. PhillyGil

PhillyGil Member

i dont disagree with your comment about Jevic's equipment. my point to the other guy was several companies loaded up on more equipment with the assumption that YRC would go out. this was well known throughout the industry yet he fails to see that. oh well...trust me, im somewhat amazed that YRC is still around.