FedEx Freight | Trailer Weights

silent trucker

TB Veteran
Credits
Does anyone have access to information from maintenance/purchasing about the supposed discrepancy in weights between normal "E-trac trailers" and the new "Captive Beam trailers"?

Am hearing the Captive beam trailers weigh in more than #3000 empty. If so, this is major and drivers need to be aware.

ST

Does anyone have access to information from maintenance/purchasing about the supposed discrepancy in weights between normal "E-trac trailers" and the new "Captive Beam trailers"?

Am hearing the Captive beam trailers weigh in more than #3000 empty. If so, this is major and drivers need to be aware.

ST
Sounds about right. I've weighed empties and seem to recall THAT # being being right there in the ballpark. Beams do add weight, not reflected in the load manifest. A factor well worth noting.
:1036316054:

Maybe the managers on the dock
as well as dock workers should
read it.

ST
Road dispatch told me if it's within a grand for those new trailers to bring it back and get reworked.

Beam trailers are inherently heavier. That said, the logistics post trailers with tight post spacing are also heavier than the older ones with longer spacing. Sheet and post (old school smooth side) trailers are also heavier than logistics trailers. Even the dollies vary in weight pretty extensively for being so small.

FedEx still has an extensive variety of equipment in the trailer pool. The old Watkins trailers are PRP units that could probably withstand a grenade blast and they are easily the heaviest pups in the fleet.

Bottom line: if it's close, scale your rig.

We loose 1500 lb of freight capacity in our e-track trailers here at XPO per trailer.

Don't forget that due to how much of a pain in the ass the captive beams tend to be a lot (most?) of people don't bother using them and instead opt for a conventional deck or a table. It's so common that I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a company wide initiative to make it mandatory to use the captive beams.

Just to clarify for everyone, I took the time to scale my tractor (with no trailer), with a captive beam trailer (Hyundai, P42868C) and with a Hyundai Logistic post trailer (P36420).

The weight difference is #300. I documented this. If you need the numbers, I can provide. The only difference is the actual weight of the beams. Insignificant.

ST

If they are heavy dont pull them. If you dont have a scale it really isn't on you. Collect the delay pay while sitting at the weigh station.

How did my avatar become Richard simmons??

How did my avatar become Richard simmons??[/QUOTE]
Read elsewhere on TB that with the crash a few weeks ago some avatars were lost. Jeff I guess has a man crush in Richard Simmons and just replaced the pics