FedEx Freight | Trailer Frames

TwoLane said:
I was told by a mechanic in YNG that the reason they are checking trl's heading west was because FXF West is tired of fixing FXF East equipment. FXF West has seen an increase in defective equipment. I know that members of management watched 8 drivers come in from 1 center, and not 1 did a post trip. I guess they then found a few problems with some of those trailers later. I have also heard about the cracking on the frame. I heard it was P7999 and lower, but I could be wrong.

It is not so much that the west does not want to fix the equipment; it is that the parts are not stocked in many of the shops and we are still operating as two separate companies in this area.

Here in the east, getting something fixed in a shop is REDICULOUS !!! You are better off calling Central and having a vendor coming out. And thats a Darn Shame.. I am not blaming our mechanics, I was an aircraft mech,, it is the management.. "Save Money" or whatever... My bald tires have cost the company over $300 in the last month having flats fixed, but hey,, they didn;t have to put new drive tires on it like they do the hub trucks......

In the west safety is number one in the service centers I have seen. It is like I said parts not being stocked, i.e. different size tires from P trailers to the west trailers and the age and weather abuse east equipment gets .

I have not seen anyone leave with equipment that is not safe, if a safety issues comes up that jeopardizes anyone’s safety the equipment is taken off of the road and the load is swung.

USLoneStar said:
Is it me or are the newer trailers roll up doors hard to go up and down? On a NEW trailer, its like they stop at every roller as it bends at the top. our mechanic said it is the smaller type rollers, the fit too close to the rails, causing them to bind up, man that is frustrating....I run to a new trailer to load my route only to find that the door sucks!!....give me a PW series anyday!
You mean the trailer wall at the back of the trailer is supposed to go up and down? Wow, as a west line driver, I have no experience with that.:biglaugh:

bear6997 said:
It is not so much that the west does not want to fix the equipment; it is that the parts are not stocked in many of the shops and we are still operating as two separate companies in this area.
The west can't fix any east equipment. All time has to be charged off in the computer. East equipment simply does not exist in our computer data base as far as the shops go. Outside vendors must always be used.

that is stupid on the east side we fix what has to be fixed on the west coast equipment and that is it no pm's so if you have a west coast dollie in the east system for two years it will not get serviced until it gets back out west

In Portland, if any East trailer needs fixed, it gets fixed. Soom parts needs to be ordered because it's not a regularly stocked item. I have seen trls in there getting brakes,wheellseals, and other neeeded repairs' including PM's if due.