ABF | Trailer sleds

vongrimmenstein

I stand for our flag, & kneel for the fallen
Credits
What are they? And with the new terminals, how will this change ABF & more important, effect the rank & file. I have been told INDY 050 will move in March to their new facility near the 133 MM on I-65. With more square feet dock space than Dayton. Comments? von.

racking system, 26 ft long. You load/unload outside of the trailer.
1285743953.jpg
5391702454.jpg

Plus what we where told in training the company will move into temp controlled warehouses. they will also start warehousing. That tells me to justify the bigger buildings needed, I see smaller terminals being combined. They say less trailers needed because, they will now only sit at docks for fifteen mins. pull out one or two sleds , push one or two back in, send it on it's way

Interesting..........The Owner's Manual probably says this should eliminate most damage......

On our dock, we've moved a couple of 5,000 lb. rock crusher castings. Some 96" wide 3,000 lb tank ends that look like big salad bowls.....

Just a few of the things I can think of that......might not be covered in the Owner's Manual......

Other than that,....it does look like a fairly smart idea......as long as you hire and train GOOD people that care......
and,.....retain the GOOD people you already have during the transition.

Will make loading long ugly crates, pipe ect easier. Just pick up in the center and load on top or bottom the put the deck over and load on top. No more forklift damage trying to drive past or stacking pallets on or around. They will lose some weight as I think they told us the sleds weight around 5000lbs

Will make loading long ugly crates, pipe ect easier. Just pick up in the center and load on top or bottom the put the deck over and load on top. No more forklift damage trying to drive past or stacking pallets on or around. They will lose some weight as I think they told us the sleds weight around 5000lbs
That is a lot of weight to loose. I hope the profit from using these sleds exceed their cost. Like Canary said, a big plus in less damage. Looking @ the sled, I think stacking the skids on the sled will make for less freight falling or shifting. Does 2 of them sit side by side? von.

What are they? And with the new terminals, how will this change ABF & more important, effect the rank & file. I have been told INDY 050 will move in March to their new facility near the 133 MM on I-65. With more square feet dock space than Dayton. Comments? von.
Good idea, but you need freight to fill them. Been at 184 for 11 years & all we do is deliver, & the pick ups we do have we miss because we have nobody in place to make them. Yet we send city guy to Connecticut on Fridays to fill what is supposed to be a 4 day bid so the freight can sit all weekend.... wtf is wrong with this company?

Good idea, but you need freight to fill them. Been at 184 for 11 years & all we do is deliver, & the pick ups we do have we miss because we have nobody in place to make them. Yet we send city guy to Connecticut on Fridays to fill what is supposed to be a 4 day bid so the freight can sit all weekend.... wtf is wrong with this company?
It is the bottom line. More revenue, less expense. Wage give back, a parking lot that looks like Charlie shelled it, outdated bathrooms, etc,etc. Remember the Space Shuttle Challenger was built by the lowest bidder. von.

It is the bottom line. More revenue, less expense. Wage give back, a parking lot that looks like Charlie shelled it, outdated bathrooms, etc,etc. Remember the Space Shuttle Challenger was built by the lowest bidder. And if you own 300,000 shares of ABF stock, & can control what effects that stock (ie Judy Reynolds) well, there is your answer. von.

It is the bottom line. More revenue, less expense. Wage give back, a parking lot that looks like Charlie shelled it, outdated bathrooms, etc,etc. Remember the Space Shuttle Challenger was built by the lowest bidder. von.
Ya & we seen how that worked out....

Plus what we where told in training the company will move into temp controlled warehouses. they will also start warehousing. That tells me to justify the bigger buildings needed, I see smaller terminals being combined. They say less trailers needed because, they will now only sit at docks for fifteen mins. pull out one or two sleds , push one or two back in, send it on it's way
Not real sure they will have a lot of room to warehouse any thing In Elkhart for example the warehouse they leased is around 320,

Not real sure they will have a lot of room to warehouse any thing In Elkhart for example the warehouse they leased is around 220,000 square ft with 24 dock doors. With 25 to 30 UE drivers each arriving with 2 26 ft long 8 ft wide mobile platforms to put on the dock space will get tight real quick

i like to see someone unload that thing in a trailer after someone loads it outside the trailer and shoves it in. Also there goes the 15 minutes unload load advantage.

i like to see someone unload that thing in a trailer after someone loads it outside the trailer and shoves it in. Also there goes the 15 minutes unload load advantage.
12 bars on the sides straps on the end of the sled Freight should be in good shape if bars and straps are in place The mobile platforms
bars straps and decks all will have to be scanned on and off the trailer and are supposed to travel as 1 unit.

What about cramming as many bills as possible into the trailer, and production numbers? Will they load a sled with only four or five bills to make service? Will they load empty sleds on top of each at locations with more inbound than outbound?

Last edited:
What about cramming as many bills as possible into the trailer, and production numbers? Will they load a sled with only four or five bills to make service?
Apparently they feel no damage outweighs what they will lose in volume Right now for the most part we do not move partials unless service demands it I would think it would depend on where we are loading whether we load a sled or just put a few skids on a trailer. If we are loading a HPXV run put it on a sled So driver can load return freight on it If loading to a break then maybe just load it on trailer If this goes system wide then all trailers will probably run with sleds empty or loaded Same as running empty or loaded now