ODFL | Trailers droped to high

Been a while since you've driven. Ask a switcher or even a mechanic to do something for you at some yards and you compound the aggravation. Many times you're better off finding your own solution. I've also had to help a switcher get out of the complex mess he created when I asked something as simple as pulling a trailer out for me because it was in an impossible place to hook as a rear trailer. Complain to their superior if you're from another terminal and you're cutting your own throat if you ever have to return to that terminal.

I guess,sad to say,most of what you say is right.I've seen switchers that would go to extra lengths to help a driver hook his set or have it ready to hook and then again I've heard of some that purposely try to screw the driver.By the time I retired most of the bad ones were gone.Just another thing in the business I never understood.

Rarely do you see one that takes pride in keeping the yard right. Its like they negotiate with the management on how little work they should have to do. Often you will see them doing something for some one they know like or think is cool and turn their nose up at you. They complain if they are expected to work the dock when its slack which could be understandable if they kept the yard in good shape but they often do not. Sometimes management gets on them and they reluctantly keep it in good shape for as short of a period of time as they can than it turns into a mess again. I did have one guy that would call in and complain about where I put a trailer or something on his radio. I would just look at the dock super and say I was right there. He seen me drop it and did not say anything to me. If he does not want me to drop it where I did all he had to do was ask. We would laugh about it and I would go home. Finally the guy started asking me to drop the trailers where he wanted them. Indianapolis is the only terminal I have been at where it seems the hostlers are expected to follow any work rules and they have always been helpful to me. Kinda hard to catch though they keep moving.

I still remember from my truck driving school, they teach you to drop the landing gear and then give them 2 to 3 cranks more. Just to relive the pressure, and that’s wrong.

this is because most trucking schools are trying to save extreme wear and tear on the equipment from the daily abuses of students. i was at a trucking school once myself, and a student pulled out of a parking space. in so doing, he literally ran up and over the steer wheel breaking the hub. the school yardboss went and got a BRAND NEW hub.............several days later, the owner of the school showed up. he blasted the yardboss for spending all that money for a hub. he should have gotten one from a junk truck. another time, the oil pan on a school truck was rotted away. the mechanic said he couldn't get a good used one. he told the yardboss that he HAD to buy a new oil pan..........for a whopping $300. so you see, schools try to cut the cost of repairs, and wear and tear, this is why we were all told to crank that landing gear (i was told) 10 extra times....!!!

now for many years, 1 to 2 inches from the ground, and i drop the freakin trailers...........