Yellow | Trailers going bye, bye

sarge

TB Lurker
Credits
Told yesterday that YRC will scrap 10,000 pups.
More cost cutting moves, at least its not coming from the workers.

Roadway (342) facility has 3/4 of it's employee parking lot filled with empty trailers that are for sale. All with the roadway or Yellow painted over and I heard they are selling from $300-500 for pups and I believe anyone can buy them. I don't see why an employee couldn't puchase one if they wanted.

maybe we can put a few of the trailers they are selling and connect them together in the parking lots like a big one floor building, have all the transfer guys live in them, won't have a problem showing up to work when you're in the parking lot already :grinning-smiley-021

Those junk trailers look better than the majority of the stuff on my yard now, I pull a few trailers that are almost as old as I am...

Just curious, but how many new trailers with the YRC logos have entered ya'lls system? I've been noticing them quite a bit around my area.

Here's a novel thought..they can fix them up and keep them on site, and all the laid off guys can live in them with their families after the banks take their home. It can be kind of like a YRC sub-division. We could all pool our unemployment money and have cookouts, buy some beer..hell even get a couple of blow up pools for the kids to swim in...now that would be livin..real comrade. Have dollar bill and his wife read bedtime stories to the young kids and hoffa and tyson chicken could play some music for the parents.

They can expand the Swamp Holly Shop to every terminal and let it sell food. They'll let you draw against your unemployment or hire your kids as casuals.

Being Eco friendly, we can burn excess pallets and other dunage for cooking.

maybe we can put a few of the trailers they are selling and connect them together in the parking lots like a big one floor building, have all the transfer guys live in them, won't have a problem showing up to work when you're in the parking lot already :grinning-smiley-021

NEW meaning for the word PUP:Pad4UnemployedPeople

Here's a novel thought..they can fix them up and keep them on site, and all the laid off guys can live in them with their families after the banks take their home. It can be kind of like a YRC sub-division. We could all pool our unemployment money and have cookouts, buy some beer..hell even get a couple of blow up pools for the kids to swim in...now that would be livin..real comrade. Have dollar bill and his wife read bedtime stories to the young kids and hoffa and tyson chicken could play some music for the parents.
Great Idea. Hey if yrc charged 200 a month that would be 2,000,000 less of a loss for yrc. Jimmy let's put it to a vote (i'm sure it would be fair):biglaugh:

Dibs on the corner lot with a view...:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

i hope they keep the jifflox and dump the YELLOW dollies.

they weigh a bunch lighter and are easier to hook up (even if you have to charge the air up in them).

i hooked a set up in terre haute on a dirt floor the other morning where usually i would have put the set together out on the street.

it was really nice to be able to pick up the dolly tongue and move it over instead of grunting it over.

c'mon truplex.

there aint that many old ROADWAY tractors left.

ever try to shove a YELLOW dolly around a dirt parking lot?

then try to line up a hook with a dolly nose?

i wish our terminal had a scale so i could see how much lighter they are.

be thankful you never had to put a set together in JNY, GLN, PIT, FCB, NLO, PUN, LIT, LAO, WVL, BGR, NBM, DBY, WPT, WTR>>> should i go on?

c'mon truplex.

there aint that many old ROADWAY tractors left.

Even one is one too many!!

ever try to shove a YELLOW dolly around a dirt parking lot?

Are you kidding me?? How about BIG, LIT, PLA, SQB, WVL for a few!!

then try to line up a hook with a dolly nose?

See above for answer to that!

i wish our terminal had a scale so i could see how much lighter they are.

Who cares! I don't carry them on my back! That's what the pintle hook on back of the tractor is for!

be thankful you never had to put a set together in JNY, GLN, PIT, FCB, NLO, PUN, LIT, LAO, WVL, BGR, NBM, DBY, WPT, WTR>>> should i go on?

Piece of cake! No different I'm sure from the places I listed. Done it more times than I can count, especially SQB in winter when it's 12 below zero with the wind howling and no one around!! :clap:

When i first started at yellow, we had non-powering tractors with no pintle hooks. we ran doubles everwhere. I learned early to hook the lead with converter and back up to my rear...actually got pretty good at it

When i first started at yellow, we had non-powering tractors with no pintle hooks. we ran doubles everwhere. I learned early to hook the lead with converter and back up to my rear...actually got pretty good at it

Got that right, practice makes perfect. Still do it that way unless I'm in some really bad position somewhere! :1036316054: :1036316054:

Funny thing is when there's nobody around I can nail it pretty quickly, but when somebody's watching I need a few more shots!! Go figure!! :hysterical:

Here is the Wolfe Research story on this (Friday Freight 4/17/2009):

§ "Trucking (Market Underweight): We spoke with a Western scrap metals shipper who noted to us the recent sale of 300 YRCW trailers for scrap to a local competitor of his for roughly $100K in an effort to raise cash. Although aluminum shred prices are down roughly 50% y/y, this shipper has never heard of trailers being sold for prices this low (~$330/trailer). While our contact did not see the condition of the trailers sold, he indicated that an aged trailer could be scrapped for roughly $2K-$4K only a couple of years ago. Though the scrap market is down both domestically and internationally, this shipper does not understand the logic behind such a firesale. We also spoke with a TL carrier who indicated he would prefer to keep old trailers in the yard rather than receive the scrap prices mentioned above. This carrier also noted that new trailers today cost in the low $20K range".

Triplex..when i was typing my comment i was thinking the same thing, i could back around a corner into a pit..but let someone watch me..and the pressure was on..take care, hope all is well