R&L | Trailers

Canadian Flyer

They Call Me CF, Eh
Credits
I don't personally see a ton of R+L trailers, but Day & Ross seems to have one R+L van at almost every yard. I've never pulled one, myself. I was wondering if Day & Ross trades trailers with R+L or if we only use your trailers for your freight.

Thanks. If that's the case, you guys are smart. That's how it's supposed to work (there are laws regarding the use of foreign equipment, on both sides of the border) and the only times I see the R+L vans going anywhere is for a city peddle or being linehauled to/from the border.

You wouldn't believe how many carriers don't follow the law in this regard. Celadon, YRCF and Holland, just to name a few that I know of, are under the impression that they can use trailers from either side of the border wherever they please. Holland's interline carrier, Speedy, has tried repeatedly to explain why they can't do that, but Holland drags Speedy trailers as if they were their own.

So just as a heads up to all of you here. If, for some reason, you are asked to move a Day & Ross trailer, ask why. Find out where it came from and where it's going. And most importantly, find out if it has Canadian freight on it (going to or coming from, doesn't matter). If it doesn't have Canadian freight, and isn't empty, you could be in violation of US Customs and Border Protection laws. Foreign equipment is allowed exactly one domestic move to acquire international freight.

Be safe out there, everyone.

New Penn pulls Speedy trailers. We get them in Baltimore once in a while.
They shouldn't be doing that. All it takes is a humorless DOT officer noticing you have domestic US freight on a Canadian trailer and the company gets a fine to pay. And the driver gets a lecture on knowing the rules.

Tell your buddies not to pull a Speedy trailer without Canadian inbound or outbound freight on it.

That's interesting you say that I see USF Holland here in Cleveland pulling Speedy trailers all the time. Heck I thought Speedy was a company Holland bought some time ago and the trailers were just left overs that's how common a sight it is ha-ha!

That's interesting you say that I see USF Holland here in Cleveland pulling Speedy trailers all the time. Heck I thought Speedy was a company Holland bought some time ago and the trailers were just left overs that's how common a sight it is ha-ha!
Nope. Speedy Transport is an independent Canadian carrier. YRC does not own those trailers, and Speedy doesn't appreciate Holland using them illegally.

Not that nobody gets it. Most of Speedy's trailers are newer than Holland's, and Holland doesn't have to repair them. They beat them and return them to Speedy when they're broken.